News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.5K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 584     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

Going back to the "All Aboard" article. I don't know if any of you have made this observation, but I see a pattern in the outermost stations of the TTC rapid transit system. Let me demonstrate...

Yonge Subway
Finch: Park/Kiss and Ride
North York Centre: Serves North York Centre

Scarborough RT
McCowan: Kiss and Ride
Scarborough Centre: Serves Scarborough (Town) Centre

Bloor-Danforth Subway
Kipling: Park/Kiss and Ride
Islington: Serves Etobicoke Centre

York University Extension
Steeles West: Park and Ride
York University: Serves York University

See the pattern? The outermost stations on each line is always the major park/kiss and ride station, and the second outermost stations are the ones that serve a major trip generator. I don't have a point, really, just making an interesting observation. The Sheppard Subway breaks the pattern, by the way.

I've never been out to the site of the extension, but the description given in the article sounds as though the York extension runs through industrial land just to get to a major transit hub. Sounds a lot like what the Scarborough RT does.

But if a skytrain can travel much faster would it not be better, unless streetcars can do 80 km/h or something.

Wow, townhouses. If 3 apartment buildings are all that is needed to justify a subway extension, why is no subway planned for Bathurst & Steeles, which, by a rough google map count has a cluster of 47 towers?

... and what is at Downsview station or Steeles West? Less I think.

The Sheppard Subway breaks the pattern, by the way.

well, not really i think. wilson station was the kiss and ride & yorkdale was i guess the trip generator/major hub. times have changed though. the spadina extension plan makes sense for today and future needs. i just can't see the industrial lands becoming urban. what are they gonna do with the refinery? i think it's connected with a oil pipeline to sarnia or something.

Joseph Hall's rosy analysis of the development potential of the York line.

-----And, according to Vaughan Mayor Michael Di Biase, it would spark a whole slew of development and transportation options for his city, York Region, and points beyond.

"We're planning for this to be a very large, regional transportation hub," Di Biase says. "And it will most definitively encourage high-density residential and office towers along Steeles Ave."

Now I'm convinced, the savy (nonpartisan) smart growth guru himself thinks the extension will stimulate a slew of smart growth. I guess the 12 years that Vaughan Corporate Centre has attracted tumbleweeds and box stores was just the practice run for development on Steeles next to factories, the biggest bus terminal in North America, a hydro corridor and a 2500 car surface lot with room to expand, perhaps they can convince the Shangri-la to move to the hydro corridor above Toronto.

The main landuse advantages of this line seem to be that because it is so hostile, low-density and auto-oriented it can only get better.
Unlike the Sheppard line or even the SRT the land ownership patterns along the Spadina extension are very problematic. I have no idea what the Downsview board will stick in their mega-structure at Sheppard W. station, but I do know that it will be auto-oriented and be surrounded by free parking, just like their other mega retail projects at Wilson station.

York U is not going to build high density land uses once it has got the subway if it wouldn't do it while trying to be on its best behaviour in order to get it. As they said, they are not a public corporation and therefore not required to act in the public's interest.

Let's say everything turns ou the way that the reporter envisions and the islolated parcels in the middle of industrial land uses were developed for high density mixed use. That gives you another 20 buildings or 3 to 4,000 people, 50% of whom use the line for commuting purposes. This is still not enough, the problem with the line is that it going through (and towards) one of the lowest density suburban sections of Toronto with only the Unversity and two busy bus routes to generate new riders. I expect York U to lose 905 riders once buses are no longer allowed on campus and riders are force to transfer and pay an extra fare.

The heavy industry and oil tanks may not be as easy to remove as J.H. imagines. Of the few lots where industry has been replaced with housing along the SRT a lot of it has ended up as townhouses (2 free parking spots each + free street parking), which do not generate much transit ridership.

As Rick Ducharme said, instead of hoping for the best, let's get some deals in place, can we get York U and Downsview to sign on the line. That won't happen because the extension is not about changing land use.

they better make sure the line generates cash for the TTC from day one of opening and is not built in hopes of development for the future. if the line is a money loser, we might not see any subway construction for a very long time to come.

i don't think that refinery is going anywhere for a long time & i don't see the urbanization of that industrial land for a long time. the station at york U & the bus terminal @ steeles better make the line worthwhile.

"... and what is at Downsview station or Steeles West? Less I think. "

Some very busy bus routes, and the potential to draw in commuters from an area with several hundred thousand residents. Twyn Rivers station serves the raccoons in the Rouge Park very well, but I guess it could connect with the Zoo Rocket in addition to the several thousand trips it would get from the 3 local towers and the townhouses and the Meadowvale bus.

edit - nevermind, I forgot there's a ridiculous stop at the Zoo itself! Still, there's about a dozen other corridors in this city that would be better suited for a subway than East Sheppard East.

they better make sure the line generates cash for the TTC from day one of opening and is not built in hopes of development for the future. if the line is a money loser, we might not see any subway construction for a very long time to come.
Impossible.

I doubt that even a Queen subway as a replacement of the King and Queen streetcars (about 100k passengers per day) would be a money maker from day one. Perhaps after 5 to 10 years of heavy development and strong bi-directional travel starts to appear along that corridor it might be operationally profitable, but even then it would likely never cover the capital loan.

A far more reasonable goal would be to build a line which reduces the per passenger subsidy required within a few years of opening as compared to what it replaced. It does take some time for riders to adjust to changes. 10 years to build and 3 years to reach a reduced per passenger subsidy seems reasonable.

rbtaylor:

i should have been more specific. what i meant by generate cash was have good ridership. it better have good ridership from the moment it opens up rather than waiting for development. york U station and steeles station better be able to provide good ridership rates.

^ The York U routes have a ridership of about 21,000 now, then add in lots of people who will be diverted from the Yonge line or elsewhere via the Steeles West and Finch West routes, then add in that massive parking lot, what Viva will bring in, and Vaughan's huge growth (including the ginormous corporate centre) in the near future, and I think there will be a ridership of 50,000-60,000 on day one, and quickly growing to 100,000. I don't know if this is optimistic or pessimistic compared to official estimates, though.

York U station is virtually assured of a very high ridership, and Steeles should also be well-used, assuming the parking lots and bus connections work out as planned. Finch & Keele has two bus routes to connect with, so it'll be used. It's the Sheppard West station that I'm skeptical about.

With regards to time-tables I think we need to recognize that this is Toronto and North America. I think a quite reasonable expectation would be to see a 5 station long spurt of say cdl's map every decade. With the Sheppard subway having been completed not long ago, if we can get the York up and running some time in the first half of the next decade this would not at all be unreasonable. A true transit vision should not put too much emphasis on short-term ridership or recovery numbers. Mass transit is something that is almost impossible to justify now, but that will be of incalculable importance to future generations.

The York U routes have a ridership of about 21,000 now, then add in lots of people who will be diverted from the Yonge line or elsewhere via the Steeles West and Finch West routes, then add in that massive parking lot, what Viva will bring in, and Vaughan's huge growth (including the ginormous corporate centre) in the near future, and I think there will be a ridership of 50,000-60,000 on day one, and quickly growing to 100,000. I don't know if this is optimistic or pessimistic compared to official estimates, though.

Really!!!!! 50,000 the first day........I think not. You may get this in 2 years and that pushing it.

100,000 maybe in 10 years and that is going out on the limb.

It time to start charging for the parking lots as they are a poor use of land.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

60 Steeles West. Will it terminate at Steeles West station?
53 Steeles East. Will it begin at Steeles West station or Finch?

Again, a mean of wasting rider’s time or making them to have to make an unwelcome transfer for this under use line in the first place. A Finch rider who is going east-west is looking at spending an extra 5-15 minutes on a bus to get into and out of the Finch Terminal depending on the time of the day. Traffic is not going away once this extension is built and is only going to increase while interferes with the buses trying to service the Finch station. Finch and Keel intersection is one of the major reasons for the BRT coming to York in 2007.

Everyone thinks that everyone wants to go to the downtown area and that is faults. People travel in all directions these days and there is more need for east-west, north-south than this extension pattern.

Adding more travel time is not the way to keep riders let alone more riders, but force them to stay in their car or go out and buy one. It is also not a good use of resources for both sides.

With the BRT, TTC can eliminate about 100 buses at a saving of 12 minutes of traveling time for York riders as well $2 million in operation cost that can be use else where. Using an LRT, you can remove 200 buses and save $5 million since you can add more LRT cars to the first one and only still need one driver.

I have always have said from Day One that the line should be extended to Jane and Hwy 7, as this the hub that will attracted the most 905-705 riders in the first place. If this station is built at the same time, I will support the expansion now, otherwise I opposed it for the building for the next 15 years.

I wonder how the buses will be reconfigured. Like:

60 Steeles West. Will it terminate at Steeles West station?
53 Steeles East. Will it begin at Steeles West station or Finch?

Same goes for the Finch buses.

We have to think about this as a long-term proposition. I think just about everybody has a York U extension on their fantasy maps, so why not build it now when we have the chance?

I think that several of the York U stations have significant potential, more than the intermediate Sheppard stations. York U will be well used as it's a massive trip generator. Steeles West will naturally attract significant ridership. Look at Downsview, which is reasonably well-used by 905 commuters despite far poorer road and bus connections than the new station will have. Finch West is the most underrated, I think. I bet that there will be an explosion of riders coming from Rexdale and the Jane/Finch area, and it could even provide some relief to the Bloor line as some people will stop taking the bus south to Bloor to get downtown and will instead travel east. I bet it will be much busier than any of the intermediate Sheppard stations. Sheppard West is the only one I question, though. Why not build it when the development is in place, or at least seriously proposed? Right now, it'll be a strong rival to Ellesmere and Bessarion.

Continuing to run buses into York after a subway is built would not be a good idea. The whole point is that it takes a long time for the buses to leave the arterial road network and drive through the York campus. That's why Steeles West station will be so convenient.

As for the bus routes, drum118, didn't you read the report? Here are the TTC routes that will be at Steeles West, their expected headways in 2021, and the number of bus bays required.
35 Jane 3’40’†2
41 Keele 6’00†1
107 Chesswood 15’00†1
108 Driftwood 7’15†1
106 Sentinel 10’00†1
60 Steeles West 6’00†3
84 Sheppard West 21’00†1
It also lists the GO routes and the YRT routes that will use the stations.

For interest, here's Finch West with existing headways, 2021 headways, and bus bays required.
41 Keele 6 min 6 min 2
107 Chesswood N/A 15 min 1
36 Finch West (including all branches) 2 min 40 s 2 min 5

Well, I may as well include all the Steeles West routes. Existing headways, 2021 headways, and bus bays required.
GO Transit
Route 33 - Guelph/Georgetown 35'00†20'00â€
Route 35 - Brampton/Bramalea 60'00†10'00â€
Route 36 - Brampton/Bramalea 10'00†10'00â€
Route 42 - Bolton 55'00†30'00â€
Route 66 - Newmarket 15'00†20'00â€
Route 68 - Bradford 15'00†20'00â€
Route 44 - Mount Joy 25'00†10'00â€
Route 46 - Oakville 25'00†15'00â€
Route 47 - Hamilton 25'00†15'00â€
Route 48 - Meadowvale 35'00†15'00â€
Route 49 - Pickering 30'00†10'00â€
Route 49 - Scarborough 30'00†7'30â€
Route 52 – Oshawa 40'00†15'00â€
Route 53 - Streetsville 10'00†7'30â€
Route 55 - Bramalea 20'00†10'00â€

YRT
YRT Route 3 10'00†10'00†2
YRT Route 20 30'00†15'00†1
Proposed YRT Route 360 (Maple Express) 40'00†20'00†1
Proposed YRT Replacement Route for Jane 35D 6'00†5'00âProposed YRT Replacement Route for TTC 107 (Keele North) 8'15†5'00†2
VIVA 5'00†3'00†4

Orion VII artic's do no exist now nor in 2008 unless they come off shore.

NFI is the only on in Canada that produce an artic bus now, but Nova has just built a prototype and is testing it in various cities in Quebec at this time. Not sure if there is a plan to bring it to Ontario this year since it has the largest market in Canada for Artic’s now. OC is planning to have 780 of them by 2021. Mississauga needs 100 now with another 150 by 2021. TTC needs closed to 500 of these buses by 2021.

TTC has looked very close at the VanHool buses that VIVA has now and they like what they see, but unless North America parts can fit this bus, it’s a no buy and that is a big mistake. As to cost now that NFI has gone stainless for their artic's, it will be close, but VanHool should come out the winner.

I know back in 2002, Translink was buy stainless double deck buses then that seated 82 riders from England along with a 20 year warranty for $35,000 less than NFI buses that were made of alloyed material and only comes with only a 12 year warranty. Going to England save Translink a lot of money over the 20 years compare going to NFI. There are 11 of these double deck buses coming this year for GO 407 service.

There are supposed to be 150 artic's order this year for TTC with delivery starting 2008.

If it wasn’t for Steve as well a few other people, there would be no streetcar lines in Toronto now. Steve has a great resource to draw from considering he has being doing this for 30 years compare to our years. I have being doing this for 5 years.

I stated at June 2005 TTC meeting that there was a need for 30 LRT routes in Toronto and most of them will go out into the 905 area serving Mississauga, Pickering, Brampton with York region seeing the most of these lines.

By right, Toronto needs 150 km of new subway that includes 5 new lines. York Region would see 4 lines running into it, Pickering would see one and Mississauga would see 3 lines.

Then TTC needs to build a few BRT routes also.

Most of all, 400 additional buses are needed to bring the system up to what it had back in the 80’s when it carry 450 million riders and this is on top of 256plus LRT’s to replace the current CLRV’s and ALRV’s fleet. 196 CLRV’s are due for replacement starting with 4 in 2008, 11 in 2009, 75 in 2010 and the balance in 2011.

A full EA will start this year to replace the SRT with either an LRT’ system or extending the BD to Sheppard and Markham Rd by STC as stated in November 2005 at a TTC meeting.

Also, The Sheppard line will have to be revisited with an EA added on to it to remove the approved EA for present line out of STC and keep it on Sheppard as well going east to Meadowvale Rd. Most of the high ridership comes from the north area of the proposed Sheppard extension. Again this was brought up at TTC meeting and I have call for this since day one.

If the Ontario Government is seriously on getting people out of there cars and onto transit, then they have to come up with $60 Billion over the next 20 years to do this. That is $3 billion a year and what does transit gets today?

This means rebuilding the existing GO system to electric so trains can travel at 150km speeds, running with 10-20 minutes service on all the lines all days, making more stops within the Toronto area, having 2 tracks for itself, using 4-6 car unites for off peak time, offering 30-60 minutes service from 1.00 am to 6.am.and running within 150 km radius of Union Station.

As to the Finch ROW, there are a number issues facing TTC for putting an LRT down there now and some of them cannot be over come at all.

First of all, how do you deal with those overhead wires as I am not willing to fry 1,000plus riders if one of those wires broke and fell onto the LRT system? There are many environment issues that need to be resolved before an EA can start in the first place.

Now what do you do for the roads that cross this ROW path as you cannot make changes to the roads in the first place to get this LRT across them in the first place?

Do you run the tracks across the roads with platforms on opposite sides of the roads using traffic signals?

Do you build an overpass over the roads with station in the middle of the roads that are elevated?

Do you build an underpass under the roads with a centre platform knowing the cost will be higher than an overpass?

Now back to the Spadina issue.

How many of the current parking spots at Downsview Station are going to use the plan 3,000 spots for Steeles and Finch Station? If they all come from the 905, then those spots are lost for any new riders.

How many Jane St riders who live in the Jane-Finch area will use this extension and will it be any faster than their current method of travel?

How many riders using YRT will use this extension?

How Many riders using Finch buses are going to use this extension that carries 37,000 riders a day?

How Many riders using Finch buses are going to use this extension that carries 22,000 riders a day?

If there is a 100,000 riders for this extension, how do you justify spending $1.5 Billion for this extension compare to $300 million for an LRT Line which still handle more riders in the first place?

How do you force the developers to build high density residential builds in place of low density that was built south of York that was designated for high in the first place?

How do you build medium density projects next to the tank farm as it is not going to move?

Do you think all the light industries in this area are going to be better server with this extension?

How many new people will live and work along this extension?

Are you aware that you need 350,000 living along this extension to pay for this extension in the first place?

Is it fair that 50,000 have great service well 500,000 don’t cause by this extension?

Back