News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 434     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Ahhhh, the old debate over electricity, diesel, and Hydro One...

A related topic is electrical grid efficiency. Ontario's power grid and electric generation mix isn't exactly a poster child at the moment -- for example, there is a pro-wind-power website is anti-ontario-wind (www.windontario.ca) -- due to grid inefficiencies such as shutting down nuclear power when the wind companies insist on generating too much power (with their profitable contracts), and sometimes having to pay someone else (e.g. U.S.) to take power. We have poor peaking infill capacity (e.g. gas peakers or electrical storage, for low-wind low-solar situations), poor co-operation between power generating companies, and few neighbours willing to buy power at rich prices, and currently poor mix in the grid creating higher costs trying to follow variable wind power. At first reading, www.windontario.ca look very anti-wind, but when you scroll to bottom, they explain they aren't anti-wind and compliments a lot of wind farms, places (e.g. Texas) have done wind power better and more profitably, farther away from population, better grid architecture, and doesn't create side effects like Ontario has unfortunately been.

I like wind power, but we really need to do a better job.

I think some people are quite upset at how Ontario's grid has been bungled up (and now we're selling Hydro One). Even with the Hydro One inefficiencies (that potentially create extra carbon cost), and it is really a separate controversial topic altogether. I agree cradle-to-grave carbon lifecycle of RER is still far cleaner than for diesels, for total planet pollution electric trains vs. diesel trains. Even with the various inefficiencies currently in our grid.

A sort of a silver lining, to the electrical grid pessimism, is we currently generally have an electrical surplus now, and we need more electrical sinks (e.g. RER) to lose less money getting rid of surplus power (paying wind power companies to shut down, or doing a temporary expensive nuclear shutdown, or selling at fire sale price, or paying someone to take power).

There's other pros, such as lower operating costs, faster trains, more frequent service, that should be considered for RER. Even ignoring the grid problems. RER should be considered on its own merits, separately from our electric grid merits and issues.

Last edited:
For newcomers to this thread, easiest explanation:

GO RER is a long-term 10 year upgrade to frequent electric GO trains that run every 15-minutes. Turns the whole GO network into a bona-fide surface subway.

That's what GO RER is.

This is not completely accurate, at least within the plans for the next 10 years. GO-RER only covers a portion of the GO network and doesn't serve some very important stations. There will be duplication in terms of the GO trains that extend beyond GO RER to places like Markham and Stouffville. These trains will still stop at existing GO stations at, one would hope, decent frequencies in the future (at least hourly). We will either have GO, GO-RER and SmartTrack on these corridors, or simply GO and SmartTrack. This is significant in that it means there will be diesel trains for some time to come and many riders, even in the 416, may still prefer the old train with fewer stops (depending on how the faster electric trains plus more stops math works out).

This is not completely accurate, at least within the plans for the next 10 years.
OK, then remove word "whole":
"Turn the GO network into a bona-fide surface subway.

There is a desire to eventually electrify the whole network, but you are right, there is not enough budget nor time to do it in the first 10 years. Maybe throw in the word "Eventually", too -- we know it is their ultimate desire to electrify the whole network. Perhaps by the end of the lifecycle of the current diesel locomotives.

Last edited:
Right, and diesel just magically appears in a tank. No extraction, refinement, or shipping required... Unless you're driving a solar powered car, ALL vehicles require some sort of back end production and distribution, which carries a pollution cost. Producing power (most of Ontario's in nuclear at this point) and transmitting it via wires is much more environmentally friendly than extracting oil from the tar sands (using vehicles that are burning diesel to pull it from the ground, of course), refining it (again, requiring loads of energy to complete that process), and then shipping it across the country (on freight trains that also run on diesel).

amen im glad someone said it

Attachments

• Toronto_SmartTrack.png
    Toronto_SmartTrack.png
    178 KB · Views: 588
I guess I will never understand the value/need for that Woodbine station that people keep inserting into these maps!

I guess I will never understand the value/need for that Woodbine station that people keep inserting into these maps!

It's more of a prospective station. I expect the developer to pony up the funding for it.

Also, should Toronto ever get an NFL franchise, I expect the stadium to be built in Woodbine. That's the scenario where I would be open to placing a station there.

It's a good potential interchange with Pearson, in the era of all-day Kitchener service of any kind (GO, RER, HSR, etc). If RER brings people quickly to Woodbine, we may find it better to have UPX stop at Woodbine than at Weston or Eglinton. Especially if RER 15-min reaches Brampton and Hurontario LRT connects Brampton. After GO RER, there's also HSR proposals frequently include a Pearson stop, too.

Maybe not right now, but future passenger surveys might find a lot of backtracking users coming from the west taking UPX, and justify moving UPX from Weston to Woodbine instead of Eglinton, if we find frequent RER 2-way service brings both Weston/Eglinton people to Woodbine very quickly. Less backtracking from Woodbine, Bloor, or Union. Not today, but 10 years from now.

Last edited:
It's more of a prospective station. I expect the developer to pony up the funding for it.

Also, should Toronto ever get an NFL franchise, I expect the stadium to be built in Woodbine. That's the scenario where I would be open to placing a station there.

I expect it to be built at downsview park if we get a team. But then again there are waterfront NFL stadiums so maybe a downtown location isn't out of the question.

I expect it to be built at downsview park if we get a team. But then again there are waterfront NFL stadiums so maybe a downtown location isn't out of the question.

Downsview Park is an option as well, though I do think Woodbine has better highway access not to mention direct proximity to Pearson Airport. I think Woodbine Entertainment Group would have more interest in a stadium than the people at Downsview but that is just speculation.

Besides the Portlands, where on our Waterfront can we put a massive NFL stadium? Do we even want one on our waterfront? The stadium might be a gem, but the acres of parking lots surrounding them will sit empty throughout the year, terrible for our waterfront communities.

... but the acres of parking lots surrounding them will sit empty throughout the year, terrible for our waterfront communities.
We don't have acres of parking spots at Rogers, and it does fine.

And look at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. You don't see a lot of parking around it - but it has 4,000 parking spots underneath it.

Downsview Park is an option as well, though I do think Woodbine has better highway access not to mention direct proximity to Pearson Airport. I think Woodbine Entertainment Group would have more interest in a stadium than the people at Downsview but that is just speculation.

Besides the Portlands, where on our Waterfront can we put a massive NFL stadium? Do we even want one on our waterfront? The stadium might be a gem, but the acres of parking lots surrounding them will sit empty throughout the year, terrible for our waterfront communities.
Our waterfront is ugly imo. Any unorthodox idea would be nice. Remember Doug's Ferris Wheel?

Eventually you will find GO will not have any Toronto City stations except Union.

I think over the long term as you see more electrification, more EMU single level trains, higher frequency, and a complete Smart Tracks system on all of current GO lines in the city. You will find that inbound GO trains will stop at the last station before the city and then be non-stops to Union. If anyone needs to get elsewhere in the city itself they would transfer over to a Smart Track train. The UPX will turn into a Union-Pearson non-stop as there will no concern about GO train bunching under such a system as GO would use one set of tracks and Smart Tracks the other.

As an example, someone coming from Oshawa going downtown to Union would get on their train and once it leaves Pickering station it is non-stop to Union. If you need to get to Kennedy station you would transfer onto a Smart Track train at Pickering and then head to you destination. Same would be done for all last stops just outside the Toronto city boundaries except perhaps having the Kitchener line being non-stop from Brampton and not Malton or GO and Smart Tracks could stop at both due to Pearson.

Anyone getting on Smart Tracks at the only non-city station along their line would pay a small extra charge but not have to pay a full TTC and their local fare.

This is ideally what Smart Tracks will form into and with all the Toronto City stations and lines being completely grade separated it effectively becomes a massive new subway network.

Even if the electricity used to power the trains was generated from burning fossil fuels instead of renewables (like hydro or nuclear, which provides a majority of our energy) it's much more efficient to generate it off-site in large generators going at steady-state (which can also use emissions-reducing technologies like inlet-spray injection) than it is to generate it in small local motors that have transient power demand.

Plus, the emissions generated at power plants are further away from when people are, and are usually dispersed through smoke stacks, so people aren't exposed to the same health impacts as they would if they lived next to the corridor when these trains are producing emissions.

The electrical losses in transmission are about ~7-8%, which is much less than the gain in efficiency from using large distributed generators. Plus diesel engines have losses from the braking, whereas electrical engines can use regenerative breaking.

Electrification offers considerable cost savings in terms of reduced fuel costs, and allows for faster braking and acceleration.

Very good points and I agree with most of them. However I did want to add that while the current diesel units don't have regenerative braking they do have dynamic braking, where the motors are turned into generators to assists in braking. While the electricity generated is lost as heat rather than being feed back into the grid, I wouldn't call it a complete loss since this greatly reduces the cost associated with replacing the mechanical braking equipment.

Also, while electrification in and of itself would result in faster acceleration, under normal traction conditions improvements in braking would only be marginal at best. Improvements in braking would result indirectly from electrification by the use of smaller single level trainsets which could decelerate trains more quickly simply because there is less overall mass being decelerated per wheel. The benefits of regenerative braking are largely only seen in poor traction conditions(specifically heavy snow or ice, rain makes little difference) but there would certainly be significant savings from reduced maintenance and brake replacement costs.

I'm all for electrification, its just I find that one specific benefit always seems to be overstated. Especially considering the braking capabilities of the current GO equipment is not substandard by any measure to begin with (60mph to zero in a 1/4 mile, 80 to 0 in 1/2 mile).

amen im glad someone said it

Wow, really? You do realize he's contesting your original point right?

Back