News   May 13, 2024
 429     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 628     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

So, Matlow pretends not to know that the new stations will be located within the city, and used mostly by the residents of the city. Nice job.

I don't think this is a fair criticism.

Most stations in the suburbs are used by residents of the suburbs, yet York Region/Durham Region/Peel Region etc. don't have to pay for their additional GO Stations.

Now, in so far as we shouldn't build the Lawrence East one, I don't mind the province saying 'no' to that, though the City shouldn't build it either.

But other more justifiable stations should be paid for in Toronto the same way they are in the burbs.

There are also very legitimate questions about the cost per station for these. Above ground facilities coming in at greater than 200M per station, or the cost of tunneled/cut and cover, deep, underground, cavernous station. How costs are being driven to this level merits a detailed line by line examination.

I would much rather can a couple of these and build the SSE (if we're going to) with the correct number of stations, adding back Lawrence as well as one at Eglinton/Brimley.

I don't think this is a fair criticism.

Most stations in the suburbs are used by residents of the suburbs, yet York Region/Durham Region/Peel Region etc. don't have to pay for their additional GO Stations.

There are different ways to look at that. In my view, suburban stations are mostly used for trips across the municipal borders, therefore it is reasonable to expect the province to pay for them.

The new SmartTrack stations will be mostly used for trips within 416, especially with the fare integration coming. Because of that, it is reasonable to expect the municipality to play a greater role in their funding.

Now, in so far as we shouldn't build the Lawrence East one, I don't mind the province saying 'no' to that, though the City shouldn't build it either.

Honestly, it would be odd to skip Lawrence East and miss a connection to a major bus route; especially if SSE has no Lawrence East station either.

There are also very legitimate questions about the cost per station for these. Above ground facilities coming in at greater than 200M per station, or the cost of tunneled/cut and cover, deep, underground, cavernous station. How costs are being driven to this level merits a detailed line by line examination.

A very good point, but not directly related to the particular quote from Matlow that seems unreasonable to me.

I would much rather can a couple of these and build the SSE (if we're going to) with the correct number of stations, adding back Lawrence as well as one at Eglinton/Brimley.

I don't disagree with that; if the SSE Lawrence East station is restored, there will be fewer reasons to build the SmartTrack Lawrence East station.

There are different ways to look at that. In my view, suburban stations are mostly used for trips across the municipal borders, therefore it is reasonable to expect the province to pay for them.

The new SmartTrack stations will be mostly used for trips within 416, especially with the fare integration coming. Because of that, it is reasonable to expect the municipality to play a greater role in their funding.
Then by that logic, since the Province is paying for it (and a good chunk of RL South) Relief Line North should be Metrolinx run and with GO vehicles.

Then by that logic, since the Province is paying for it (and a good chunk of RL South) Relief Line North should be Metrolinx run and with GO vehicles.

:) I don't know.

There are distinct benefits in running the Relief Line with GO vehicles (in other words, inter-operable with the existing mainline tracks). However, those benefits come from the technical considerations, and not really dependent on the funding model.

So ummm in this: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04/25/council-approves-146-billion-smarttrack-plan.html

is this:

A spokesperson for Ontario PC leader Doug Ford wouldn’t commit to supporting SmartTrack.

“Doug Ford has spent his whole career fighting to (build) more subways and transit in the city of Toronto. Folks across the province know that he (supports) the modes of transit that will actually relieve congestion and get people moving,” she said.

So does that mean Ford will block the stations somehow ? Interesting times ahead.

So does that mean Ford will block the stations somehow ? Interesting times ahead.
Everyone knows that Transit of all sorts will suffer under Ford - though I don't see how he would ever form a government; it would have to be a majority, as neither the NDP nor Liberals would ever prop them up.

[...]So does that mean Ford will block the stations somehow ? Interesting times ahead.
He's being very slippery on it. The man has nothing to say since he hasn't a clue on what it all means. Even 'Groot' says more, and makes more sense.

By that logic, there should be one fare within the municipality boundaries regardless of mode of travel.
Already promised by Libs.

Everyone knows that Transit of all sorts will suffer under Ford - though I don't see how he would ever form a government; it would have to be a majority, as neither the NDP nor Liberals would ever prop them up.
In fact, I don't think the Cons would prop him up either. It might be some sort of cunning plan on their part.

You don't think those same suburbanites aren't going to get off at these downtown GO stations? They will no longer necessarily travel to Union if they don't need to go that far south. So it's still a trip across municipal borders and why the city of Toronto shouldn't have to pay for regional travel.

Correct me if I am wrong - aren't the fed and the province going to chip in part of the costs?

A spokesperson for Ontario PC leader Doug Ford wouldn’t commit to supporting SmartTrack.

“Doug Ford has spent his whole career fighting to (build) more subways and transit in the city of Toronto. Folks across the province know that he (supports) the modes of transit that will actually relieve congestion and get people moving,” she said.

I'm sure people "across the province" lie awake at night fretting about Toronto's transit issues.

Back