News   Jun 17, 2024
 217     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

It would be a great schadenfreude for those subway champions who wanted a subway so much because it wouldn't rip up roads and take road space underground to end up with an above-ground, elevated, intrusive and loud subway as opposed to quiet and unobtrusive LRTs.

But you are right. We can build subways subways subways to our hearts content if we embraced this. This would end the debate, minus for the fact the suburban councilors would then take up the fight to get it tunneled. :rolleyes:

Having an evaluated subway for the Scarborough extension is the way to go. It could go all the way up meet up at Sheppard Avenue East.

Take a real close look at the images you just posted. Then compare them to the picture of Sheppard East you posted earlier.

Spot the difference?
It was to show that elevated is not always as ugly as the TTC want to make us believe it is.

Take this one then,
parismetro_ligne6_pasteur010909a.jpg

For Sheppard, the price to pay to have a subway is you can kiss your car lanes "bye-bye".
But the above is doable.

Like the French, put some trees to hide the structure.

I knew it

I said it for years: the minute you cave on the Danforth Extension, you have to build Sheppard East to closed the gap. This was coming for a long time. And I have a a feeling Sheppard East, B-D and Richmond Hill will be up and running before the DRL is even finished.

I knew it

I said it for years: the minute you cave on the Danforth Extension, you have to build Sheppard East to closed the gap. This was coming for a long time. And I have a a feeling Sheppard East, B-D and Richmond Hill will be up and running before the DRL is even finished.
Where are we going to get the money for any of this? I doubt anything will be built.

I just love the debates around capacity and Yonge being indispensable as it is now becomes an argument for building Sheppard (like - really?) - while an obvious undercapacity problem can be put off because it is "no big deal". There are so many intemperate words I can use to describe this state of affairs.

AoD

It had better be above ground and trenched with minimalist stations.

That isn't even under consideration

It could straddle the 401 where it hits key destinations and goes all the way to Rouge Hill and be reclassified as the Uptown Line.

This will have the built above ground because there is not way to justify 5.5 billion for low ridership

While all this is true, Tory is not just trying to get votes at Council level but also at the provincial level. Liberal MPs in that area hated the Sheppart LRT proposal from day 1 and have a strong preference for a subway too, but aren't fully willing to fund it yet. Sheppard LRT has been dead since the first deferral; long live the bus.

This update will find the Sheppard subway extension costs $5B (maybe more) but I bet it ends up on Metrolinx's long-term plan (say after DRL phase 2, so 2045?)

TTC subway expansion is seeing the same games that NASA goes through. Remember the Constellation program (Bush's moonbase announced in 2004 that killed off all short-term projects?) The game is to defer funding anything until you're out of power; let the next guy in charge kill your ridiculous spending program that occurred fully under the next guys authority.

This isn't about building the subway, it's ensuring the LRT stays dead without actually saying you're keeping the bus.
Stop. This will be built. We said Crosstown would never go to the airport or UTSC and look what's happening now. This will be built above ground for slightly under 5 billion and it will be around, in use for 2 to 3 years before the DRL is opened, because this is Toronto and we pander to everyone.

Or maybe they'll make the DRL wait until GO RER is finished.

Stop. This will be built. We said Crosstown would never go to the airport or UTSC and look what's happening now. This will be built above ground for slightly under 5 billion and it will be around, in use for 2 to 3 years before the DRL is opened, because this is Toronto and we pander to everyone.
Nothing has happened yet.

Where are we going to get the money for any of this? I doubt anything will be built.

Revenue tools, tolls, taxes

That would be a mighty long U-line. Considerably longer than Line 1 even with it's two extensions completed.
Of course it would be long, that's the only way to justify the ridership. Also both will stop at STC. The question is will it bring new residents to Ellesmere and McCowan?

Get ready to pay for this, it will easily be 5.5 billion and that will be from new taxes as well, since Tory supports that.

I just love the debates around capacity and Yonge being indispensable as it is now becomes an argument for building Sheppard (like - really?) - while an obvious undercapacity problem can be put off because it is "no big deal". There are so many intemperate words I can use to describe this state of affairs.

AoD
Tory just gave away the cart, and because we've all been doing this dance since the 1980s really. This is happening and so is the Scarborough Subway.

Back