News   Jun 17, 2024
 42     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 121     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 299     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

This update will find the Sheppard subway extension costs $5B (maybe more) but I bet it ends up on Metrolinx's long-term plan (say after DRL phase 2, so 2045?)

TTC subway expansion is seeing the same games that NASA goes through. Remember the Constellation program (Bush's moonbase announced in 2004 that killed off all short-term projects?) The game is to defer funding anything until you're out of power; let the next guy in charge kill your ridiculous spending program that occurred fully under the next guys authority.

This isn't about building the subway, it's ensuring the LRT stays dead without actually saying you're keeping the bus.

I think it's more than just the LRT though. I fully expect that tomorrow (transit decisions being deferred, shocker), everything will be approved. Everyone gets a subway! All the newspapers and news channels will glorify a new age of Toronto transit. And the projects won't be cancelled. But, unless help arrives from the province or Trudeau, the axe will fall eventually. The projects will be deferred, or changed just enough to have to restart the planning process again. Except for, most likely, the Scarborough extension, and that's just because the SRT is falling apart.

Tory will almost certainly get a second term if he wants it.

The odds have a huge variance hinging on whether or not a popular candidate from another level of government pops in from the outside.

I have no idea why ANYONE would want the job, but there are possibillites like Adam Vaughan, or Rob Oliphant.

The odds have a huge variance hinging on whether or not a popular candidate from another level of government pops in from the outside.

I have no idea why ANYONE would want the job, but there are possibillites like Adam Vaughan, or Rob Oliphant.
not necessarily, especially with wasting $4B on the scarborough subway while preaching finding effencies

Adam Vaughan??? No way he gets the suburban vote.

Hoping for someone younger this time, just like at the federal level

There's too much political support for a Sheppard Subway Extension. I'm starting to think that it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

On way to pass it to the population is the same way Vaughan got their extension, "a package deal"

That's how the extension to Richmond deal will pass, a package deal including the DRL

It could straddle the 401 where it hits key destinations and goes all the way to Rouge Hill and be reclassified as the Uptown Line.

Sheppard E east of Don Mills has plenty of green space owned by the city for road expansion on both sides of the road.

Plenty of space for elevated subway structure.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7818...VZTFGVCwR7VWYrlUdCQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

j6AuaMt.jpg

Vancouver-3-1024x442.png

Adam Vaughan??? No way he gets the suburban vote.

Hoping for someone younger this time, just like at the federal level

Vaughan is too polarizing of a figure, and his seat could flip back to the NDP. (Then again, given current polling, Liberals are likely to win any by-election should Vaughan run for mayor in 2018)

There's too much political support for a Sheppard Subway Extension. I'm starting to think that it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

On way to pass it to the population is the same way Vaughan got their extension, "a package deal"

That's how the extension to Richmond deal will pass, a package deal including the DRL

Like I asked in the Scarborough Subway thread, is there some way to convince North York that they need another subway up Don Mills to Sheppard?

The DRL Long can be the North York subway. It does so much for North York, both those who would use the line, and those who would have easier commute transferring on at Finch/Sheppard stations on Yonge.

Sheppard E east of Don Mills has plenty of green space owned by the city for road expansion on both sides of the road.

Plenty of space for elevated subway structure.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7818...VZTFGVCwR7VWYrlUdCQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

j6AuaMt.jpg

Vancouver-3-1024x442.png

Perhaps the win win solution is for Toronto to fully embrace elevated subways in suburban areas and end this stupid debate once and for all.
If it works for Chicago, NYC and even London, Toronto needs to do it.

Like I asked in the Scarborough Subway thread, is there some way to convince North York that they need another subway up Don Mills to Sheppard?

The DRL Long can be the North York subway. It does so much for North York, both those who would use the line, and those who would have easier commute transferring on at Finch/Sheppard stations on Yonge.

:D:D:D:D:D
We need Lastman on city council. He proved in the past that he can pull of miracles!!!:D:D:D

Seriously, tjis current council and mayor are an embarrassing joke:(

Perhaps the win win solution is for Toronto to fully embrace elevated subways in suburban areas and end this stupid debate once and for all.
If it works for Chicago, NYC and even London, Toronto needs to do it.
It would be a great schadenfreude for those subway champions who wanted a subway so much because it wouldn't rip up roads and take road space underground to end up with an above-ground, elevated, intrusive and loud subway as opposed to quiet and unobtrusive LRTs.

But you are right. We can build subways subways subways to our hearts content if we embraced this. This would end the debate, minus for the fact the suburban councilors would then take up the fight to get it tunneled. :rolleyes:

Boy, am I glad there aren't rows of skyscrapers on that stretch of Sheppard East because then we would really be in dire straits. As it looks, we will be hard pressed to keep up the demand there with anything less than a subway -- can you see all those pedestrians walking on the sidewalk? Quick - someone get a subway to that woman in blue on the right before the crowds trample her!

</sarcasm_mode_off>

Paris
france-paris-under-rain-metro-line-7-e2gwjb.jpg

565980473-france-paris-jaur%C3%A8s-elevated-subway-line-gettyimages.jpg

parismetro_ligne6_pasteur010909a.jpg

London DLR

I don't recall Canary Wharf being an ugly area
dlr-transport-london-docklands-light-railway-modern-city-public-48843268.jpg

Toronto really needs to get its act together. Elevated subway would end all this pointless debating.

Toronto really needs to get its act together. Elevated subway would end all this pointless debating.

Take a real close look at the images you just posted. Then compare them to the picture of Sheppard East you posted earlier.

Spot the difference?

Back