News   Jun 26, 2024
 186     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Well this is the straw that broke the camels back. I voted for Tory in the mayoral election, I will be voting to get rid of him in 2018.

Just don't vote for a Rob Ford or David Miller 2.0.

Should also be the year to get rid of majority of the Councillors too. Even Wynne and the Liberals have to go. 2018 will be an important year for Toronto

You'll find that even the most promising of candidates will face the reality of politics and bureaucracy as soon as they step into power. I honestly do believe he came here with good intentions
and to effect change as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, unlike a majority govt, there is no party whip so city councillors have been free to bicker as they please. That is the major reason why things just dont work in this city:
self interests and egoistic councillors who put their own benefits over the greater good. I guess this also pertains to NIMBYs as well.... either way, Tory has pretty much been shoe strung by his own council.
At least he wasnt polarising as Ford was and actually pushed through with several projects such as accelerating Presto. I can attribute a large part of the delays and loss of funding for many transit projects on the former mayor.

As for your twitter post, I seriously doubt that Tory actually replies to most of the messages himself, more like he has his PR team do that.

True, Montreal has political parties at city hall, so whatever the mayor says, goes. Maybe that's a reason why transit is far less political

Can somebody refresh me ...what is the scope of the original LRT plan? ROW or mixed in and if the former, was there even enough space to fit in 2 more lanes? Or were they going to just cut 1 lane per side?

There generally was sufficient space for the LRT. The underpass on Sheppard south of Agincourt GO station was actually designed with space reserved for a future center of road LRT. Other locations required removal of grass medians between the sidewalk and road, and a few pinch points required annexation of some strips of property. It was really not a complicated endeavour.

There was a sideshow debate about how far east of Don Mills the LRT would be tunneled, but it was irrelevant as the province and city never settled on more than the vision of what was to be before the funding plug was pulled.

Just don't vote for a Rob Ford or David Miller 2.0.

Should also be the year to get rid of majority of the Councillors too. Even Wynne and the Liberals have to go. 2018 will be an important year for Toronto

I don't know if either of the PCs or NDP would be more transit friendly than the Liberals. For everything that is wrong with the Liberals, they are delivering on transit.

If David Miller had a third term, we would be riding LRTs today. And we would be saying that wow, they really are not that bad.

I don't know if either of the PCs or NDP would be more transit friendly than the Liberals. For everything that is wrong with the Liberals, they are delivering on transit.

If David Miller had a third term, we would be riding LRTs today. And we would be saying that wow, they really are not that bad.

With all do respect, I prefer Metrolinx's approach rather than what Transit City was trying to do. Metrolinx is putting an emphasis on speed and grade separation when it's possible. Stops are being cut and scenarios favoring speed are being evaluated. The old Transit City outside of Eglinton and SLRT was not "rapid".

Also, the DRL wouldn't be on the radar since Giambrone had said that 2018 was about right "to look into it"

With all do respect, I prefer Metrolinx's approach rather than what Transit City was trying to do. Metrolinx is putting an emphasis on speed and grade separation when it's possible. Stops are being cut and scenarios favoring speed are being evaluated. The old Transit City outside of Eglinton and SLRT was not "rapid".

Also, the DRL wouldn't be on the radar since Giambrone had said that 2018 was about right "to look into it"
I don't disagree. Transit City had flaws.

But now our inaction and flipflopping has led us to this mess.

With all do respect, I prefer Metrolinx's approach rather than what Transit City was trying to do. Metrolinx is putting an emphasis on speed and grade separation when it's possible. Stops are being cut and scenarios favoring speed are being evaluated.

The project you're referring to is Crosstown West, which I believe is being lead by Toronto City Planning, not Metrolinx. Furthermore, anticipated speeds for the Crosstown West LRT was 30 kph, even when it was part of the Transit City plan. Since the EA approved design was already so fast, I question if additional grade separation will provide significant travel time benefits; we'll have a better idea with more sophisticated modelling.

Curiously, stop removal and grade separation was not considered for Crosstown East.

The project you're referring to is Crosstown West, which I believe is being lead by Toronto City Planning, not Metrolinx. Furthermore, anticipated speeds for the Crosstown West LRT was 30 kph, even when it was part of the Transit City plan. Since the EA approved design was already so fast, I question if additional grade separation will provide significant travel time benefits; we'll have a better idea with more sophisticated modelling.

Curiously, stop removal and grade separation was not considered for Crosstown East.

IMO grade separation gives more service guarantees rather than increase avg speed. Without cars being a factor, trains can run at a much more predictable schedule since the only stoppage would come from traffic lights and stations

IMO grade separation gives more service guarantees rather than increase avg speed. Without cars being a factor, trains can run at a much more predictable schedule since the only stoppage would come from traffic lights and stations
It's possible to build extremely reliable LRT without grade separation using railway crossing arms. See LA and Calgary. Toronto will never do that though because motorists can't be delayed by a minute.

Back