News   May 24, 2024
 7.7K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 456     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Nothing has happened yet.

It's a long, long way off from being real.

AoD

Please. Tory will get what he wants here. The subways will be low ridership, and the LRT will be better. But this is called buying Scarborough's silence. They should approve both and move because this is never going away.
They'll deliver us those projects via package deals, just like the Vaughan extension

Exactly, Wynne will use this to stay in power.

Makes me very sad Toronto never embraced LRTs. What could have been.

They'll deliver us those projects via package deals, just like the Vaughan extension

There is emphatically no need to freak out over anything, it's more an annoyance that local politicos keep dragging BS into a process that already have an overabundance of it.

AoD

We would be building a line that would still require us a Sheppard bus service anyway. What is the point?

For it not to be a Sheppard Line but an Uptown service to Durham region, hitting STC, Centennial, U of T, Lakeshore East, etc.

And actually covering a long distance.

There is emphatically no need to freak out over anything, it's more an annoyance that local politicos keep dragging BS into a process that already have an overabundance of it.

AoD

Oh I agree and share your frustrations. But politicians dug themselves this hole by building subways on Sheppard and Vaughan....now Richmond Hill is being talked about.

It was always unrealistic to expect Scarborough to not react to this.

Politically, it looks bad, especially Vaughan.

But I agree, the whole thing is a mess.

I'm just tired of it and I think the whole political class as well. That'swhy I think both subways will ultimately get build so we can finally move on once and for all.

After that, just hand over the keys to Metrolinx and take the politicians out of the equation

Is Eglinton not happening or is the tunnel under my feet one of my transit delusions?
LOL, well I mean in total. Granted we have eglinton being built right now, and a extension to the Airport and UTSC, but everyone will say that's a subway somehow :D. I feel like outside central Toronto because of media misinformation, we lost a golden opportunity to make Toronto a model for 21 century light rail. The subways will be above ground, but I mean we could have covered the city from end to end.

AoD
Oh I agree and share your frustrations. But politicians dug themselves this hole by building subways on Sheppard and Vaughan....now Richmond Hill is being talked about.

It was always unrealistic to expect Scarborough to not react to this.

Politically, it looks bad, especially Vaughan.

But I agree, the whole thing is a mess.

I'm just tired of it and I think the whole political class as well. That'swhy I think both subways will ultimately get build so we can finally move on once and for all.

After that, just hand over the keys to Metrolinx and take the politicians out of the equation

Exactly Cobra. Just give them what they want and end this once and for all.

Makes me very sad Toronto never embraced LRTs. What could have been.

Someone a few pages back had a semi good idea. Stall out the Scarborough subway for now and wait for the crosstown to be built. Average person in Toronto thinks streetcar when we say LRT. Let them see an actual LRT in action and they may come around to demanding that.

Stop. This will be built. We said Crosstown would never go to the airport or UTSC and look what's happening now.

Crosstown's airport extension is unfunded at this time. We don't struggle to make plans; it's that funding step that causes issues. Toronto's finances being what they are will struggle to match federal funding to build this extension.

Also, I don't recall ever saying Crosstown would never go to the airport.

Sheppard really isn't an option for the city at all at this time even if it became the #1 priority ahead of SRT replacement and SmartTrack. Council will not vote for the taxes necessary to pay for 50% of the project (assumption of feds contributing 50%).

The provincial budget is tapped out. GO is struggling to implement the $15B plan already. The price for the Kitchener line alone is approaching $7B.

Last edited:
Someone a few pages back had a semi good idea. Stall out the Scarborough subway for now and wait for the crosstown to be built. Average person in Toronto thinks streetcar when we say LRT. Let them see an actual LRT in action and they may come around to demanding that.
That would be a great idea. Show them it doesn't suck and it won't be a streetcar. But now they opened the can of worms, it can never go back.

These will all be campaign promises to get the Liberals back in.

We all know that if you win Toronto, you win the election

So package deal for next election:

DRL Phase I=Downtown is happy
Scarborough Subway =Scarborough is happy
Sheppard Subway=North York and Scarborough are happy

How can you lose unless the PC up the ante? which is unlikely as they will predictably campaign on balancing the books...

These will all be campaign promises to get the Liberals back in.

I don't doubt there will be provincial Liberal promises from future campaigns. I'd be very surprised if there was a TTC focus on the transit portion of them.

It still feels like a stall tactic. I'm certainly not going to be buying land around Sheppard&VicPark as a result of this announcement.

Last edited:
We all know that if you win Toronto, you win the election

So package deal for next election:

DRL Phase I=Downtown is happy
Scarborough Subway =Scarborough is happy
Sheppard Subway=North York and Scarborough are happy

How can you lose unless the PC up the ante? which is unlikely as they will predictably campaign on balancing the books...
Which they should considering the fiscal situation is abysmal right now. But this should work to counteract Wynne's low poll numbers.

And Finsh RER = GTA, which is the most important promise.
I don't doubt there will be provincial Liberal promises from future campaigns. I'd be very surprised if there was a TTC focus on them though.
This is about ending the Scarborough Question once and for all, not about the TTC.

Back