News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 841     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Watch that area become North York Centre immediately after the restrictions are removed (not saying that's bad).

It won't, because there's no Go Transit service and no freeway access, and commercial taxes aren't lower. Those are the things that made North York Centre possible. You can get to NYCC relatively easily from anywhere in the GTA, and until amalgamation they had lower property taxes that made it worth putting a big satellite office 20 minutes up the subway line.

The Highway 7 & Jane area, and the Warden/Birchmount & Highway 7 areas are about to go through the same rapid development for those same reasons - transit options to/from the rest of the GTA, two nearby freeways and property tax rates much lower than Toronto's 2.8%.

Because the city has artificially suppressed development at kennedy station to try to boost STC development.

I'd gladly welcome them lifting their bans so that the public could decide where theywant tolive

Toronto makes good talk about encouraging transit oriented development, while simultaneously restricting transit oriented development.

It won't, because there's no Go Transit service and no freeway access, and commercial taxes aren't lower. Those are the things that made North York Centre possible. You can get to NYCC relatively easily from anywhere in the GTA, and until amalgamation they had lower property taxes that made it worth putting a big satellite office 20 minutes up the subway line.

The Highway 7 & Jane area, and the Warden/Birchmount & Highway 7 areas are about to go through the same rapid development for those same reasons - transit options to/from the rest of the GTA, two nearby freeways and property tax rates much lower than Toronto's 2.8%.

Have you mixed up NYCC and Kennedy&Eg? Kennedy & Eg is the one with the existing GO RER stop, while the closest GO train lines to NYCC is the Barrie line and the RH line, which is still far, far away (i.e. not walkable). If Metrolinx gets the price integration formula right, it'll be a busy and vital interchange station between GO & TTC.

The Yonge 401 exit is also an absolute disaster during rush hour, and in my experience, driving from Fairview and exiting the Yonge ramp can often take as long as driving down from the 401 to Kennedy & Eg. The Bayview exit isn't much better. At least in Scarborough there's many parallel routes you can take to go south..like Midland, Pharmacy and Birchmount, in addition to Kennedy, Warden & Vic Park.

Though out of the 3 city centres, Agincourt is arguably the one that has the best transit and highway access. It will likely be the area that can best compete against downtown Markham or VMC.

Last edited:
Because the city has artificially suppressed development at kennedy station to try to boost STC development.

I'd gladly welcome them lifting their bans so that the public could decide where theywant tolive

This is probably one of the key reasons why Scarborough has seen stunted growth, relative to the rest of the 416. The city's heavy hand in trying to make SCC a success is crimping the borough's ability to compete effectively with other cities in the GTA.

Scarborough already has great bones in other areas of the borough. Why aren't we fully leveraging it?

Last edited:
The reason yonge and bayviews ramps are so full is because of all the condo developments. Kennedy exit will become a mess if messy sees similar development. Same with mccowan.
Have you mixed up NYCC and Kennedy&Eg? Kennedy & Eg is the one with the existing GO RER stop, while the closest GO train lines to NYCC is the Barrie line and the RH line, which is still far, far away (i.e. not walkable). If Metrolinx gets the price integration formula right, it'll be a busy and vital interchange station between GO & TTC.

The Yonge 401 exit is also an absolute disaster during rush hour, and in my experience, exiting the Yonge ramp can often take as long as driving down from the 401 to Kennedy & Eg. The Bayview exit isn't much better. At least in Scarborough there's many parallel routes you can take to go south..like Midland, Pharmacy and Birchmount, in addition to Kennedy, Warden & Vic Park.

Though out of the 3 city centres, Agincourt is arguably the one that has the best transit and highway access. It will likely be the area that can best compete against downtown Markham or VMC.

The reason yonge and bayviews ramps are so full is because of all the condo developments. Kennedy exit will become a mess if messy sees similar development. Same with mccowan.

However, there's less crush points than NYCC..technically Kennedy & Eg is in the middle of a grid with reasonable driving distance to at least 5-6 highway exits. The absolute grid road network in Western Scarborough is probably the best in the 416..especially compared to the Yonge&Eg area.

Last edited:

I think Metrolinx's goal is to get free transfers to/from the TTC and TTC fares within Toronto. If they really are going to several trains per hour, all day, every day, then they'll be in a position where whatever revenue they lose on existing customers is less than new revenue they get from expanded ridership. The challenge with this is figuring out how to split that fare revenue with the TTC, as well as how the TTC would handle ridership growth, since the TTC's passenger revenue is much less elastic. They can't absorb as much new ridership and a lot of those passengers who use Go RER (and split the fare as a result) are already using the TTC and paying a full fare.

NYCC doesn't have Go Train service, but it has a lot of Go Bus service to practically every part of the GTA.

The Yonge 401 exit is also an absolute disaster during rush hour, and in my experience, driving from Fairview and exiting the Yonge ramp can often take as long as driving down from the 401 to Kennedy & Eg. The Bayview exit isn't much better. At least in Scarborough there's many parallel routes you can take to go south..like Midland, Pharmacy and Birchmount, in addition to Kennedy, Warden & Vic Park.

That exit is fine in the afternoons. In the morning it's bad, and I'm not sure what the answer is to that problem. It's a result of employment in the area, not the people who live there.

The problem with Agincourt is property taxes. That's the problem with NYCC too - NYCC is actually losing employment. There hasn't been any major office development there since amalgamation, because property taxes are the same as in downtown.

I'm pretty sure people who live there are also part to blame as the stats show many of these residents may have bought on a subway line but many of them continue to drive.

The problem with Agincourt is property taxes. That's the problem with NYCC too - NYCC is actually losing employment. There hasn't been any major office development there since amalgamation, because property taxes are the same as in downtown.

MCC also saw no new office development - and it is a transit hub for both MT and GO, with commensurately lower taxes than the Toronto. Meanwhile, Meadowvale and ACC have both seen significant office development in the intervening years. The failure of the suburban centres to attract office developments isn't just a property tax/transit access issue.

AoD

NYCC doesn't have Go Train service, but it has a lot of Go Bus service to practically every part of the GTA.

It does have GO Bus service, but it's unreliable during rush hour, as there's no HOV lanes on the 401.

This issue may eventually rectify itself when the 905 its maturity, and is forced to rejig its rates. But I agree Toronto needs to do more to fix the imbalance between residential and commercial rates.

Okay? Downtown Toronto isn't anywhere near Toronto's geographic centre of Yonge and Lawrence

Toronto was also a separate city prior to amalgamation. And just like people wound find it absurd to suggest that downtown Toronto should be moved to Yonge and Lawrence, it's equally absurd to suggest that SCC should be from McCowan and Ellesmere to Kennedy and Eglinton. The giant mall, the federal and city offices, and the businesses near STC are magnets. And they are more equitably accessible to all Scarborough residents at their current location.

The only thing STC has over Eglinton/Kennedy, in terms of accessibility, is Highway 401, which is antithetical to our efforts to built a modern and walkable community there.

It's not just the highway though. A solid third (at least) of Scarborough's population is north or the 401. Kennedy/EG is ridiculously far for them. Heck, that's why many people in the north bus all the way across to Finch station or the Sheppard line when heading downtown.

I am not even sure how exactly it would work to move the City Centre. Are we suggesting hundreds of millions spent relocating the mall and all the government offices to Kennedy/Eg?

Back