News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

And just like people wound find it absurd to suggest that downtown Toronto should be moved to Yonge and Lawrence, it's equally absurd to suggest that SCC should be from McCowan and Ellesmere to Kennedy and Eglinton

I am not even sure how exactly it would work to move the City Centre. Are we suggesting hundreds of millions spent relocating the mall and all the government offices to Kennedy/Eg?

Nobody is suggesting physically moving SCC. The suggestion is to open up Kenney and Eglinton up for intensification.

I'm pretty sure people who live there are also part to blame as the stats show many of these residents may have bought on a subway line but many of them continue to drive.

There's very little correlation between how far someone lives from a transit line and how likely they are to take transit to work. What determines if they take transit is how far their workplace is from a transit line. If there is some "blame" to go around, as much as I know you want it to go to people living in North York and Scarborough, it actually goes to the municipal and provincial governments whose policies discourage adding jobs near transit lines outside of the city core.

This is a fact. I'm super busy this week at work to Google it but perhaps another poster has the information on hand. Otherwise await your evidence on monday

And you're doing it again. Presenting assertions without evidence. Calling something a fact does not make it so. Now, do you have evidence for your assertion that the city was purposefully diverting development to SCC? I struggle to see why this would be the case. Why would the city care where someone wants to build inside the 416?

Be patient. And sometimes things are not explicitly said but you have to read between the lines. What other reason would you say is reasonable for them not zoning here but oking things at STC.
And you're doing it again. Presenting assertions without evidence. Calling something a fact does not make it so. Now, do you have evidence for your assertion that the city was purposefully diverting development to SCC? I struggle to see why this would be the case. Why would the city care where someone wants to build inside the 416?

And sometimes things are not explicitly said but you have to read between the lines.

And sometimes when you read things between the lines and see things that others don't see it's because of internal biases.

What other reason would you say is reasonable for them not zoning here but oking things at STC.

What project has the city denied at Kennedy/Eg that they approved at STC?

http://thecrosstown.ca/KennedyStationMobilityHubTextSummary.

Look at what heights they are planning to allow in the future at kennedy station with a go station, a lrt, and a subway. If like other scarborough residents argue that transit creates development then why is the city pestimistic about this site while super optimistic about STC. It sure looks like the city is simply not interested in letting developers build what they want here. But hey I dunno.

yet this is what they are ok with at STC..... Hmmm.... sure no politician looked me across the table and told me explicitly that they were stopping development at one place to encourage development at STC but it sure the heck looks like thats what is going on. But maybe I am the crazy one to think that these type of things people tend to keep hush hush.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/03/scarborough-subway-extension-inches-closer-reality

Look at what heights they are planning to allow in the future at kennedy station with a go station, a lrt, and a subway. If like other scarborough residents argue that transit creates development then why is the city pestimistic about this site while super optimistic about STC. It sure looks like the city is simply not interested in letting developers build what they want here. But hey I dunno.

yet this is what they are ok with at STC..... Hmmm.... sure no politician looked me across the table and told me explicitly that they were stopping development at one place to encourage development at STC but it sure the heck looks like thats what is going on. But maybe I am the crazy one to think that these type of things people tend to keep hush hush.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/03/scarborough-subway-extension-inches-closer-reality

It's pretty obvious, to me, that this is a result of the difference between nodal and avenue development. They are spreading out development all along Eglinton. Those heights are no different than elsewhere along Eglinton. And most of the rest near Kennedy is "stable" neighbourhoods, ie. Single family homes. Try and zone them differently and watch the reaction you'll get.

Scarborough Town Centre is damn easy to zone differently because most of it is commercial already. They aren't touching any SFH neighbourhoods.

So all you've got is the difference in heights? Which of course, any developer could negotiate with the city or challenge at the OMB if they really had a business case.

It's pretty obvious, to me, that this is a result of the difference between nodal and avenue development. They are spreading out development all along Eglinton. Those heights are no different than elsewhere along Eglinton. And most of the rest near Kennedy is "stable" neighbourhoods, ie. Single family homes. Try and zone them differently and watch the reaction you'll get.

Scarborough Town Centre is damn easy to zone differently because most of it is commercial already. They aren't touching any SFH neighbourhoods.

So all you've got is the difference in heights? Which of course, any developer could negotiate with the city or challenge at the OMB if they really had a business case.
the rest of eglinton doesnt have a subway connection as well as a go train access. yes there will be more nimbys but that is the cities job to stand up and say this is good for the city. But they are not which makes people think that they are trying to prop up STC to justify both the location of STC as well as now this Subway extension.

Agree. Its just old zoning at Kennedy and Eglinton that's overdue for a change. Nothing to do with SCC and the only impact around the Centre was the RT rott and current transit uncertainty. Even developers who have decided to move forward with current proposals around SCC have expressed serious concerns over this uncertainty. Kennedy and Eglinton doesn't matter to SCC and if anything it could only make Scarborough as a place more attractive to have multiple desirable dense areas around quality transit. Both will be solid commuter locales around the City

Last edited:
which makes people think

What people think doesn't seem to coincide with objective reality in this case. All the LRT avenues have similar plans for densification. That was the whole pitch for LRT. Lots of low rise and midrise development instead of dense nodes.

GO Train access is basically irrelevant. Look at GO stations around the GTA. How much density do you see around them? Even the subway stations....Kennedy is basically about as dense Warden or Vic Park.

Kennedy certainly has more opportunity to densify. But the potential in SCC is there specifically because most of the land around the station isn't zoned residential. It's much easier to change over and densify lots and big box stores. Heck, we might even see the mall undergo a transformation to reduce some of its footprint in due course. Elsewhere...it's not all that easy to convert zoning on neighbourhoods of SFH. And I don't of know any neighbourhoods where the TTC is adding transit and the city is changing zoning on SFH. Look at Sheppard West/Downsview. There were single family homes within a 5 min walk of there. The only added density was on Sheppard itself.

Given that the OMB revamp will bar all challenges 500m from the subway/train stations, it's ridiculous that the city isn't planning for high rise at the Kennedy & Eglinton node. The zoning around all existing Scarborough subway stations is a joke. These are intersections that should be re-zoned for high-rise, with mid-rise buildings enveloping the area.

The same zoning regime allowed at NYCC should be allowed at Kennedy & Eglinton. There's literally stable neighbourhoods hugging NYCC too. It frustrates me to no end how Scarborough politicians keep placating the NIMBYS.

It frustrates me to no end how Scarborough politicians keep placating the NIMBYS.

As politicians do everywhere. If you propose high-rises near subway stations elsewhere, you don't think there will be pushback from existing residents?

Back