News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

As politicians do everywhere. If you propose high-rises near subway stations elsewhere, you don't think there will be pushback from existing residents?

How did NYCC come to be? It was championed politically by crazy Mel. There will always be push back from residents, I mean even people in the path of SSE are protesting about losing their homes... But politicians have to rise above the fray if they genuinely want Scarborough to progress.

How did NYCC come to be? It was championed politically by crazy Mel. There will always be push back from residents, I mean even people in the path of SSE are protesting about losing their homes... But politicians have to rise above the fray if they genuinely want Scarborough to progress.

NYCC is basically what is being proposed at SCC. So what's the complaint. You walk two blocks from Yonge (in some cases less) and you have SFH.

NYCC is basically what is being proposed at SCC. So what's the complaint. You walk two blocks from Yonge (in some cases less) and you have SFH.

My issue is that NYCC + Sheppard (along the subway) gets the same treatment, but Kennedy & Eg doesn't. Just doesn't make sense, regardless of what's done at SCC. Why put our high rise eggs all in one basket.

My issue is that NYCC + Sheppard (along the subway) gets the same treatment, but Kennedy & Eg doesn't. Just doesn't make sense, regardless of what's done at SCC. Why put our high rise eggs all in one basket.

Again, Kennedy-EG is similar to other stations in Scarborough. In fact, look along Bloor-Danforth. How many of the stations have high-rises around them? Why aren't people clamouring to build high rises around Main Station or Greenwood? What makes Kennedy-Eg suddenly so special? The avenue concept is the right concept for Kennedy-Eg specifically because of the Eglinton LRT. Nodal development would have been more sensible if there was no LRT. In that case, concentrating development all around the station would have made more sense.

Why aren't people clamouring to build high rises around Main Station or Greenwood

If I had a penny for each time individuals and organizations in the planning community called for lands around subway stations to be released for intensification, I might be 30 cents richer right now. Heck, this isn't even only a concern in the planning community. I've read numerous editorials in the major papers about this issue.

The avenue concept is the right concept for Kennedy-Eg specifically because of the Eglinton LRT.

I agree that the midrise intensification along the entirety Eglinton Avenue is the right approach. However, in the blocks surrounding major transit nodes, we should allow intensification greater than the 25 metre limit that Kennedy/Eglinton is capped at, to better take advantage of the excellent transit facilities in the area. This is more or less what happens at Yonge/Eglinton and Sheppard/Yonge: mid-rise intensification increasing to high-rise intensification as we get closer to transit nodes.

I don't see any benefit to capping Kennedy/Eglinton at 25 metres, short of satiating NIMBY concerns.

If you can't see the difference from this stop and the remaining lrt route then you are blind or willfully ignorant. No amount of evidence is going to change your mind. But I'll ask why is the city ok approving and fighting nimbys at the black creek and eglinton area?

Last edited:
I agree that the midrise intensification along the entirety Eglinton Avenue is the right approach. However, in the blocks surrounding major transit nodes, we should allow intensification greater than the 25 metre limit that Kennedy/Eglinton is capped at, to better take advantage of the excellent transit facilities in the area. This is more or less what happens at Yonge/Eglinton and Sheppard/Yonge: mid-rise intensification increasing to high-rise intensification as we get closer to transit nodes.

I don't see any benefit to capping Kennedy/Eglinton at 25 metres, short of satiating NIMBY concerns.

Agree and believe the addition of the LRT should be the catalyst for this change. This node has way to much transit, and large parcels commercial land surrounding not to take advantage of.

If I had a penny for each time individuals and organizations in the planning community called for lands around subway stations to be released for intensification, I might be 30 cents richer right now. Heck, this isn't even only a concern in the planning community. I've read numerous editorials in the major papers about this issue.

Exactly. The city's built form isn't like Haussman's Paris. Where it makes sense we should increase the height limits, especially within 500m of such a hub. Other than placating NIMBYs, there's no logical reason why we're not maximizing the utility of an important transit interchange hub.

If you can't see the difference from this stop and the remaining lrt route then you are blind or willfully ignorant.

Insults aren't going to further the debate.

See my prior posts. I specifically said there's room for improvement. What I dispute though, is your contention that the city is somehow pushing density at SCC over Kennedy-Eg. I see no evidence of that. What I see is that the city has only ever bothered to change zoning for SCC in light of the SSE.

No amount of evidence is going to change your mind.

I am very open to evidence. It's just that you can't seem to furnish any.

At least one city recognizes and supports highrises around interchange stations. You on the other hand justify away why this area hasn't been developed nor is planned to be developed
Insults aren't going to further the debate.

See my prior posts. I specifically said there's room for improvement. What I dispute though, is your contention that the city is somehow pushing density at SCC over Kennedy-Eg. I see no evidence of that. What I see is that the city has only ever bothered to change zoning for SCC in light of the SSE.

I am very open to evidence. It's just that you can't seem to furnish any.

You on the other hand justify away why this area hasn't been developed nor is planned to be developed

So you've gone from insults to putting my words in my mouth.

If you aren't interested in civil and fact based debate, I'm out. I don't do conspiracy theories.

Wasn't that the entire point of Transit City though? To make Toronto more European in essence. And to move away from the towers-in-a-park concept?
We are living in a post transit city world and miller is no Longer The mayor. If you want subways with huge spacing between stations then you need to support high density at the station.

We are living in a post transit city world

Except that the corridor in question does have an LRT on the way. So it's necessarily going to follow the Transit City Avenue model. The alternative is high density at Kennedy, and not much anywhere else along Eglinton (especially in Scarborough). That's dumb.

And again, there's no evidence here at all that the city is intentionally constraining Kennedy-Eg. Just that restriction haven't moved from what was there before. You can always petition to change that. So why aren't you doing that?

Just block me if you're so sensitive

If I do that, nobody is going to call out your conspiratorial bullshit. And blatant disregard for facts. It's too bad the mods let it slide.

Back