News   Apr 26, 2024
 296     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 630     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Perfect, just realised the type of fence I'm talking about has been used at the sounth end of the dog park in Stanley Park. Way better than chain link dystopian nonsense.

Perfect, just realised the type of fence I'm talking about has been used at the sounth end of the dog park in Stanley Park. Way better than chain link dystopian nonsense.

Hmm, I'm not overly keen on that style, it is a marginal upgrade on chain link, I'll grant you. Though you could at that grade just get the chain link in black.

I prefer this:

1574481776824.png

Though shorter.

Yeah, ok, shit, sorry, I thought we were trying to keep it "we're too cheap to have nice things/is this a dystopian prison we're living in?".

I'm surprised I've never noticed this before.

Then I thought about the ocean of shabbiness I have to swim through on my way there and said to myself "Why would this stand out?"

You become insensitive to ugliness in Toronto.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 18.27.21.jpeg

Then I thought about the ocean of shabbiness I have to swim through on my way there and said to myself "Why would this stand out?"

View attachment 230869
Those temporary fences could be useful for protests, riots, or parades.

View attachment 230869

And just like with the jersey barriers at Union station, the excuse from those responsible leaves me feeling less than impressed.

STATUS: Since the fencing surrounds the streetcar entrance, I contacted the TTC. After several days, the TTC replied that it has nothing to do with it, and that I should talk to Waterfront Toronto, which was responsible for the project. Waterfront Toronto’s reply didn’t convince me that the fencing is still necessary, but here it is: “The protective barrier along the streetcar tunnel was put in place by Waterfront Toronto, following the work we did to revitalize the area in 2015. During construction, the grade of the road was raised, meaning additional safety measures were required for adequate clearance between the railing and the road surface. Waterfront Toronto purchased the protective barrier, at a cost of just under $8,000, as part of the $130-million budget for the project overall. While this is an important safety measure, it is of course not meant to be a permanent solution. In order to minimize disruptions to the street, Waterfront Toronto will be co-ordinating further improvements to Queens Quay — including the installation of a permanent railing — with work being done by Toronto Hydro and planned for later this year.”

A temporary solution in place for 5 years is just about permanent to me (unless they are going by it hasn't been around longer than the Pyramids argument).

AoD

Downtown Oakville has been getting a streetscape facelift, which i gather is near completion.

Photos below from: Alex Glista's Twitter,

1582637600659.png

1582637640488.png

Notice granite edges of trees, which have Silva Cells underneath.

The original renders shows the road itself redone w/interlocking pavers, not sure if that's still part of the plan.

Downtown Oakville has been getting a streetscape facelift, which i gather is near completion.

Notice granite edges of trees, which have Silva Cells underneath.

The original renders shows the road itself redone w/interlocking pavers, not sure if that's still part of the plan.

Definitely has a 'high-end' feeling to it. All that's missing are some nicely pruned trees- sort of wish they'd gone with some older trees rather than the sticks in the images. I wonder why they removed all the existing mature street trees in the first place?

The road pavers are localized at a few particular intersections, I think.

Last edited:

Back