News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Shabby Public Realm

An alternative to mowed medians on highways or to wide boulevards in suburban/ex-urban areas:

1595525577175.png

The above is from Rotherham, England.

Its implementation saved the town 25,000 Pounds ($42,500 CAD) per year in mowing costs.

Last edited:
Some resilient leafy trees would be better imho or protected bike lanes - may as well get some use (shade or active transportation) from those grassy shoulders/medians. Feels like flowers are neither here nor there (though still a welcome public realm improvement).

Some resilient leafy trees would be better imho or protected bike lanes - may as well get some use (shade or active transportation) from those grassy shoulders/medians. Feels like flowers are neither here nor there (though still a welcome public realm improvement).

Thoughts:

1) It can be both. Obvoiusly if trees create a high degree of shade it changes which flowers you plant, but there are many native wildflowers than grow in shade.

There are also many boulevards that get southern or western sun exposure where there is more than enough sun to support a full range of wild flowers.

The object of the example is to move away from mowed grass which is largely unnecessary.+ costs money to mow, weed etc.

2) There are areas where trees or at least full-size trees precluded. See the Meadoway as an example with hydro corridors; but likewise think of those streets supporting streetcars which not only have wires, but said wires are very low slung.

You can plant 'full' trees underneath, but they will have to be aggressively pruned and that will impair their longer term prospects; and in the interim allow more sun at street level.

3) You can apply this lesson to other areas, parks, utility corridors, private lawns both corporate and personal, and highway corridors, where trees are not planted close to the road, both because they wouldn't do well; but also
to protect sight-lines.

4) We need some meadow habitats to support the full range of biodiversity. For the same reason, where we support road-side ditches, we should have naturalized swails that are mini-wetlands which can support some aquatic life, insects and a range of birds. (not appropriate everywhere, but perfect along some low-traffic rural highways/roads).

November 10, 2020

Leslieville, aka The Lower East Side, aka Coastal Queen East (barf)

I guess this qualifies as shabby. New, state-of-the-art utility poles replacing the old ones all the way down Queen E.

View attachment 282214View attachment 282215

I'm firmly in the camp of burying hydro (and other wires); wherever practical.

Preferably, in a single, large, shared, well ventilated conduit.

Shared meaning fibre optic cable would used the same channel.

It would greatly rationalize the digging up of roads (and going/up down of poles).

I appreciate its an expensive retrofit that would take a long time, but I would like to see that plan adopted and delivered, if it takes 50 years.

With that said, IF they've done this right, the wires should at least be higher off the street, which will help a bit w/visual pollution and would afford trees more room to grow.

It's definitely an expensive retrofit that would take a long time, ie, a hundred years to never. There's about as much political will to bury wires as there is to buy that lot at the back of Metropolitan United Church and turn it into a park.

It's definitely an expensive retrofit that would take a long time, ie, a hundred years to never. There's about as much political will to bury wires as there is to buy that lot at the back of Metropolitan United Church and turn it into a park.

Both should be done!

Politicians and bureaucrats with no vision (or a bad one) should be turfed!

If you have some spare time, maybe you could see about getting a sample of R.C. Harris' DNA; maybe we could clone him and bring him back. LOL

Rather pessimistic to say it would take 100 years. With natural replacement it might take 30-50 years.

I'm firmly in the camp of burying hydro (and other wires); wherever practical.

Preferably, in a single, large, shared, well ventilated conduit.

Shared meaning fibre optic cable would used the same channel.

It would greatly rationalize the digging up of roads (and going/up down of poles).

I appreciate its an expensive retrofit that would take a long time, but I would like to see that plan adopted and delivered, if it takes 50 years.

With that said, IF they've done this right, the wires should at least be higher off the street, which will help a bit w/visual pollution and would afford trees more room to grow.

Look how great the Junction looks since they buried the hydro lines through there.

Though I certainly liker to see all wiring 'undergrounded" we need to remember that there are lots of kinds of wiring and some is easier/cheaper to bury than others. There is electric distribution wiring and then streetlight wiring. (streetlight wiring is apparently cheaper to bury). There are (electric) wires for streetcars (in addition, of course, to the overhead and its many supporting cables) , there are overhead cable and phone wires etc etc. The City DOES try to include undergrounding, at least. streetlight wiring in any major street projects and many have been buried through this process in St Lawrence. What really annoys me is when a section of underground streetlight wiring fails, the THSL response is usually to string a 'temporary' overhead wire as that's often the fastest way to solve the immediate problem (dark streets) but, of course, temporary for THSL lasts for decades!

Though I certainly liker to see all wiring 'undergrounded" we need to remember that there are lots of kinds of wiring and some is easier/cheaper to bury than others. There is electric distribution wiring and then streetlight wiring. (streetlight wiring is apparently cheaper to bury). There are (electric) wires for streetcars (in addition, of course, to the overhead and its many supporting cables) , there are overhead cable and phone wires etc etc. The City DOES try to include undergrounding, at least. streetlight wiring in any major street projects and many have been buried through this process in St Lawrence. What really annoys me is when a section of underground streetlight wiring fails, the THSL response is usually to string a 'temporary' overhead wire as that's often the fastest way to solve the immediate problem (dark streets) but, of course, temporary for THSL lasts for decades!

That's the problem with simply burying cable in the ground - you can't simply pull another to fix a fault. Even if it is in conduit, factors such as long runs, multiple joints and elbows, etc. often preclude simply pulling a new one. Factors such multiples voltages, power vs. telecoms, etc. can also really complicate a confined shared space, if for no other reasons than who-owns-what and who gets to work-on-what and are they safety/skill-qualified to access one in the vicinity of another. The best solution would more of a small tunnel or vault as opposed to conduit, all of which adds to the cost.

That's the problem with simply burying cable in the ground - you can't simply pull another to fix a fault. Even if it is in conduit, factors such as long runs, multiple joints and elbows, etc. often preclude simply pulling a new one. Factors such multiples voltages, power vs. telecoms, etc. can also really complicate a confined shared space, if for no other reasons than who-owns-what and who gets to work-on-what and are they safety/skill-qualified to access one in the vicinity of another. The best solution would more of a small tunnel or vault as opposed to conduit, all of which adds to the cost.
The system used in Montreal since 1910 has lots of advantages as you (generally) only have one company digging up streets to lay conduits. See: http://www.csem.qc.ca/en/notre-histoire.html

Back