News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

I'm actually happy with this name change. A name brand is a name brand as far as I'm concerned but I certainly prefer Arena over Centre, especially when there's another Centre down the street. I'd be happy if it's nickname became "The Arena".

By comparison, this is much better than the Amphitheatre switching over to Stage.

Nah, I preferred the original corporate name. You could only say the abbreviation "ACC" and everyone knew what you were talking about. Also, "Air Canada Centre" was about as innocuous a corporate name as you can get.

There's no such opportunity now for an easy-to-say abbreviated name.

Just a thought - they will have to install new logos on the roof. Also now that AC is no longer holds the naming rights, wonder if it will affect their tenancy at the office building attached.

AoD

the dome is a short form for skydome.

The problem with arena is that people in hockey circles more traditionally use that for the local hockey rink. "I went and saw a game at the Arena" usually means you went and watched the local C level team at the local rink, not went to Toronto and watched a game at the Scotiabank Arena.

We've gone through so many name changes with the arena in Ottawa that really nothing sticks. ACC certainly has more history but you even hear people calling The Dome the Rogers Centre so I suspect after a little while people will just call it Scotiabank Area, just like people call it Scotiabank Theatre and not necessarily cineplex.

I do wish arenas would go the route of english clubs where a stadium like St. James' Park becomes Sports Direct Arena at St James Park (though they've gone back to no sponsorship in the name).

The problem with arena is that people in hockey circles more traditionally use that for the local hockey rink. "I went and saw a game at the Arena" usually means you went and watched the local C level team at the local rink, not went to Toronto and watched a game at the Scotiabank Arena.

Fair point but I think if anyone is talking about going to see a Leafs or Raptors game, they won't even mention the venue since everyone knows where they always play when they're at home. "The Arena" could be used and understood if a band is playing there because if they're big enough to play a huge venue, they're either going to be there or down the street.

Just a thought - they will have to install new logos on the roof.

AoD

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.44.23 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.44.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.44.23 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 1,143

Back