News   Mar 28, 2024
 499     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 400     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 743     0 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

This is the biggest deal in North American sports - eclipsing the $25m per year the New York Mets got for Citi Field

The key difference here is that the previous name was still a corporate sponsor. The Skydome was uniquely branded - so obviously Rogers Centre didn't stick.

Molson Canadian Amphitheater was mostly just called the Amphitheater, so that has been sticking as well. When it's a corporate name that changes, people tend to go with it a bit more.

This has been the Air Canada Centre for what seems like forever, but I expect people will accept the Scotiabank Arena name over time.

Except ATM's actually give you money - there's no way that happens at this arena

The key difference here is that the previous name was still a corporate sponsor. The Skydome was uniquely branded - so obviously Rogers Centre didn't stick.

Molson Canadian Amphitheater was mostly just called the Amphitheater, so that has been sticking as well. When its a corporate name that changes, people tend to go with it a bit more.

This has been the Air Canada Centre for what seems like forever, but I expect people will accept the Scotiabank Arena name over time.

Even though I knew it was named after the airline, I viewed Air Canada Centre as a patriotic name. I rarely ever thought of the airline. Not a fan of Scotiabank's name plastered everywhere.

I wonder if MLSE can get going on a more-proper PATH connection between the ACC, ahem Scotiabank Arena, and South Core now.

With that kind of money, they could build an entirely new stadium. $800M seems excessive for just naming rights, even including exclusive ABM provider privileges. There has to be something else to this.

There's no doubt that they could have used the $40 million/year more wisely, and I highly doubt they'll get their money back on this one through increased customers.

The only way I see this helping Scotiabank is if they want to expand their presence in the U.S. If they did, the naming rights would give them increased brand awareness to some U.S consumers.

I figured they were going to change the building's name. Let's just be happy we dodged a bullet and didn't end up with a Diamond & Diamond Arena or Deco Labels Centre similar to some of the atrocious names south of the border.

I'm actually happy with this name change. A name brand is a name brand as far as I'm concerned but I certainly prefer Arena over Centre, especially when there's another Centre down the street. I'd be happy if it's nickname became "The Arena".

By comparison, this is much better than the Amphitheatre switching over to Stage.

Back