422     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 559     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 461     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ..., wait, there are 3 SOS groups then? Somehow I hadn't realised that this Save Our Sheppard group and Save Our Subways group were different ...

This is going to get confusing ...

Seeing as Save Our Sheppard already has some PR cred (in the National Post, no less) and they appear to share our common goal to extend the subway to Scarborough Town Centre, perhaps if we can reason with them, you guys could arrange a meeting with Patricia Sinclair and form a coalition. We need numbers to strengthen our political influence. That and I really hope that Michael "DRL delegate" Thompson is running for office. ;)

Giambrone wasn't even a fan of the DRL (and I'm pretty sure still isn't). The only reason he's "supporting" it now is because of the wave of public support around the project. He was very resistant to it at first, and I'm sure in private still is.
He's definitely not a fan of it while TC is being planned and built. If and when the DRL comes under serious consideration, Giambrone will probably be long gone. Or he'll be the mayor.

He's definitely not a fan of it while TC is being planned and built. If and when the DRL comes under serious consideration, Giambrone will probably be long gone. Or he'll be the mayor.

Well it's being seriously considered right now, despite his opposition. This gives me hope that other transit projects can be re-evaluated and, if there is enough public support, redesigned. At the end of the day he is still a politician, and his first responsibility is to the electorate. Especially during an election year, opposing something that has large-scale public support and is being backed by other candidates can be a electoral death sentence.

I would venture to say that the only reason TC still has broad public support is because of the lack of alternative visions in the spotlight. If you have nothing to compare it to besides the status quo, of course it's going to look good. But if another candidate comes forward with a different plan, suddenly the TC group will need much stronger arguments to support their case that they're the BETTER plan, not just the only plan. TC is a lot like Rogers/Bell/Telus: sure, you know you're not getting the best bang for the buck compared to what other areas have, but you know that the only viable alternative is not having a cell phone at all, so you live with it.

Well it's being seriously considered right now, despite his opposition. This gives me hope that other transit projects can be re-evaluated and, if there is enough public support, redesigned. At the end of the day he is still a politician, and his first responsibility is to the electorate. Especially during an election year, opposing something that has large-scale public support and is being backed by other candidates can be a electoral death sentence.

I would venture to say that the only reason TC still has broad public support is because of the lack of alternative visions in the spotlight. If you have nothing to compare it to besides the status quo, of course it's going to look good. But if another candidate comes forward with a different plan, suddenly the TC group will need much stronger arguments to support their case that they're the BETTER plan, not just the only plan. TC is a lot like Rogers/Bell/Telus: sure, you know you're not getting the best bang for the buck compared to what other areas have, but you know that the only viable alternative is not having a cell phone at all, so you live with it.

There IS an alternative to Robelus; it's called Wind. windmobile.ca

Come to think of it if SOS is too similar to Save Our St. Clair and Save Our Sheppard, maybe the name should be changed to Subways for Toronto. Now that would really ruffle some feathers. Obvious reference to Streetcars for Toronto intended.

Come to think of it if SOS is too similar to Save Our St. Clair and Save Our Sheppard, maybe the name should be changed to Subways for Toronto. Now that would really ruffle some feathers. Obvious reference to Streetcars for Toronto intended.

It's a refreshingly direct name with a message, unlike SOS which makes one wonder if the city is planning on shutting down a subway line. Though it might ruffle some feathers, in reality the name "Streetcars for Toronto" isn't that well remembered.

That's a great idea!

It's a refreshingly direct name with a message, unlike SOS which makes one wonder if the city is planning on shutting down a subway line. Though it might ruffle some feathers, in reality the name "Streetcars for Toronto" isn't that well remembered.

True and I guess it all depends on who you are targeting with the subversive message within the group name. Most citizens probably don't remember Save our St. Clair either (unless you live near the area). The goal of this group from the beginning was to put subways back into the discussion and send a direct message to the LRT only people at the city. Would SOS accomplish that? Maybe not and people might see it as an attack on the Save our St Clair group.

Subways for Toronto fires a clear and direct message at the remnants of the Streetcars for Toronto group (whether or not they are responsible for the lack of subway construction in the city is irrelevant. However a link can be drawn from that group right to the TC plan) that people are as serious about bringing our subway system back into being one of the best in the world as they were about saving the streetcar network.

The average citizen probably won't even pick up on this subtle sniping anyway so for that target group the name is just a way to get them to listen to you.

Or perhaps you could try for an original name ... rather than stealing an old acronym that already has meaning.

It seems these days, some cute acronym is all the rage for such groups. Perhaps if you could think up something to match "TUBE" or "FAST" or something ...

Oh that's good!

Though perhaps better-suited for a pro-LRT group! :)

Forget About Streetcars in Toronto? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back