549     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 607     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 476     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the LACMTA red line is doing too well.

The Red Line ridership is around 160,000/day. It's below optimal subway capacity at the moment, but the subway is due to be extended along Wilshire Ave, which is apparently a very congested corridor and the density is high.

Comments are coming on the website from non-SOS members. Looks like there might at least be a few like minded individuals in the citizenry. Good job with the site!

Listen to Baby K whine :rolleyes:

All I ask is if the report is ready because I am anxious to read it. It might actually persuade me to support a Sheppard Subway extension

And we should care about your support because?

We'd rather target the whole city than one rather arrogant and demanding individual.

And we should care about your support because?

We'd rather target the whole city than one rather arrogant and demanding individual.

Keep whining Baby K :rolleyes:

I support a SELRT because TTC and the City of Toronto did their homework for months and backs everything they say with facts. On the other hand, SOS members have posted numbers in this thread without any sources and it is very hard to believe what you say.

If I see a credible report (i.e. has references to back up everything you say), then there is a possibility that my mind could change and support a Sheppard Subway extension. I hear one is coming; therefore, I am very anxious to read it

Last edited:

I support a SELRT because TTC and the City of Toronto did their homework for months and backs everything they say with facts. On the other hand, SOS members have posted numbers in this thread without any sources and it is very hard to believe what you say.

If I see a credible report (i.e. has references to back up everything you say), then there is a possibility that my mind could change and support a Sheppard Subway extension. I hear one is coming; therefore, I am very anxious to read it

With all due respect. Where are the studies that justify the TC lines. It certainly looks like the plan was thrown together on the back of an envelope and the justification was "found" afterwords, (read massaged numbers to work with their plan). No less than 20 years ago both Sheppard and Eglinton were seen as justifiable subway corridors, have these corridors degraded to the point of LRT justification? Hardly, more like they've increased in density and population.

SELRT will be built between Meadowvale and Don Mills and it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be. Propose changes to other TC lines but the SELRT is here to stay

Last edited:

Did the TTC and City of Toronto really do their homework or are they just doing what pleases their agenda because they're in a position of authority with which to do so? Their own statistics prove that Eglinton, for instance, qualifies for a subway upgrade. Having a mixed underground/ at-grade through mixed traffic line doesn't cut it. And why is the TTC afraid of dual bus/subway operations along Eglinton through Richview when it does similar overlapping along Yonge and Sheppard where the subway gaps widen? So what's their excuse? Cost of drivers, when any number of buses (35, 73, 111) can be rerouted or have branched services through Richview? It is more a bias against subways, which in one their reports they themselves state that subways can cost as low as $220 million per kilometre. Then the next minute Giambrone says a DRL of unexplained length will magically cost $9-$11 billion. How can the public put any faith in an agency so duplicitous that it will invent, inflate and manipulate any data it pleases to dupe the public into thinking the cost of subway construction is too high to dare try. Oh sure the TTC did their homework, pandering to every Not In My Backyard and Not With My Taxes small-C conservative out there. Tell me, which category defines you Juan? :rolleyes:

You want sources? Read up:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/reports/rtes2002.pdf

Everything we have been stating about Sheppard is in this report. Specifically, look at page 35, which clearly states that the Sheppard East subway (broken down into it's various sections) would be a success. It's even quoted on page 44: "two projects, namely the Sheppard Subway and the Spadina Subway consistently rank higher than other options and have the highest potential for success". In fact, the Sheppard subway was even short-listed for the projects (page 45).

While I don't agree with everything in this study, I trust it a lot more than I trust TC, simply on the basis that it examined rapid transit as a whole, not just trying to justify LRT.

The report detailing the numbers is there. You can either choose to read it, and compare the numbers to those presented in TC, or you can go on believing TC word for word.

PS: TC studied a Sheppard subway out to Morningside (ie following the exact same route as the current LRT). No shit a subway out to Morningside isn't going to be justifiable, but that is not grounds to deem the entire corridor not justifiable for subway.

SELRT will be built between Meadowvale and Don Mills and it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be. Propose changes to other TC lines but the SELRT is here to stay

Avoiding the issue. The TTC/City found the Sheppard and Eglinton corridors to be justifiable subway corridors. What changed in the time since those reports and now that suddenly makes those corridors no longer qualify for a subway?

It's the same straw man argument that's always brought up. This is what was planned, this is what we got, and construction is starting so we might as well be happy that we are getting any transit construction. With that attitude we would have the Spadina expressway running right through the Annex today.

One mayoral candidate is not shy about building new subways. From the Globe and Mail:
The class had summoned him to accept a petition for a crosswalk on a nearby thoroughfare, the site of several accidents. Mr. Mammoliti did them one better. He proposed building a subway up Jane Street. Yes, it would cost billions, he admitted, maybe “$100-billion,†but it was worth it to end what he called the segregation of Jane-Finch. Anyway, he said he was sure the private sector would help pay the freight. Why, exactly, private companies would be keen to pay for a subway to Jane and Finch he did not say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back