2.5K     4 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kEiThZ

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
We've launched a new group here so that we can get like minded members who'd like to advocate for subway extensions particularly for the ones which Transit City impacts on. We are hoping there's enough interest to be able to coordinate and fund a newspaper ad campaign. But so far any skill sets with regards to building a website and/or marketing, etc. would help.

The group available in the Social Groups section.

Hopefully your actually looking for like-minded members. If your actually like looking for minded members ... well like hopefully like everyone here like qualifies ... like.

Sorry ... couldn't resist ...

I might be able to lend a hand. Graphic designer with a ton of web work under the belt.

Sent you an invite Captain. I have bought our domain (www.saveoursubways.ca) as well as a few others just to hedge our bets (.com, .net, .info). And I set up a blog to start (saveoursubways.blogspot.com) but the .ca isn't forwarding there just yet. Still working on that. We're also on twitter at www.twitter.com/saveoursubways

Web experience would be invaluable for both the blog and the twitter account

Also sent a few other members invites. So check your PMs.

EDIT: www.saveoursubways.ca is now working

Last edited:
Ooh yes, I'm interested in this group. I've loved the subways for years.

I may not be much help with making a website, though...

EDIT: Visited the website, not a bad start. Will be following. :)

Last edited:
Ooh yes, I'm interested in this group. I've loved the subways for years.

I may not be much help with making a website, though...

EDIT: Visited the website, not a bad start. Will be following. :)

I've invited you to the group. Any support is greatly appreciated :)

What the hell, is someone trying to close down our subways? Who are these jerks?

Downgrading Sheppard (at a cost of $600 million) has been bandied about by certain members of this board as a good idea (it's not). Not to mention the Sheppard East LRT and the SRT replacement stumpifying both Danforth and Sheppard lines for years to come.

Downgrading Sheppard (at a cost of $600 million) has been bandied about by certain members of this board as a good idea (it's not).
It's been bandied around as an idea before the cost came out. $670-million I think it was ... and that included the savings on using the subway trains elsewhere. I don't think ANYONE here has suggested it now the cost is known.

For that price you could build the Don Mills LRT from Eglinton to Steeles! And I think that even the most ardent supporter of conversion to LRT would admit that between the choice of keeping the subway, and having LRT on Sheppard East LRT and on Don Mills all the way to Eglinton and Steeles is better than a simple LRT line from Yonge to Morningside.

Looks like a worthy initiative. Still, I'd love an invite so that I can contribute ideas if nothing else, and if there's a blog I may be able to contribute some writing - I wrote "Durham Transit Review" (http://durhamtransit.wordpress.com) for two years before I realized that I had run out of positive things to say. :)

I would suggest creating a broader-based subway plan as the SRT and Sheppard East proposals are Scarborough-specific. If this isn't to look like a Scarborough funds grab, it needs to have something for other parts of Toronto.

From there, it needs to evolve into a real plan, with specific line proposals, reasonable costing for them, and some idea of where the money would come from.

Given the cost of newspaper advertising, going the social media route makes sense. The twitter account is an excellent start. Follow the lead of the Georgetown GO opponents.

Beyond the current web address, I wonder if a Facebook page might be in order?

Last edited:
Looks like a worthy initiative. Still, I'd love an invite so that I can contribute ideas if nothing else, and if there's a blog I may be able to contribute some writing - I wrote "Durham Transit Review" (http://durhamtransit.wordpress.com) for two years before I realized that I had run out of positive things to say. :)

I would suggest creating a broader-based subway plan as the SRT and Sheppard East proposals are Scarborough-specific. If this isn't to look like a Scarborough funds grab, it needs to have something for other parts of Toronto.

From there, it needs to evolve into a real plan, with specific line proposals, reasonable costing for them, and some idea of where the money would come from.

Given the cost of newspaper advertising, going the social media route makes sense. The twitter account is an excellent start. Follow the lead of the Georgetown GO opponents.

Beyond the current web address, I wonder if a Facebook page might be in order?

Facebook would be great actually, we could invite those in the DRL group. Aren't they a few thousand of them? and they made the news and force a debate. Getting half of them minimum would give us the same kind of strength and exposure. I think we could easily get 3/4 of them.

The page would include "detailed" information about SELRT and facts that the city is trying to keep unnoticed by the public.

Before considering newspaper ads, we have to start there.

I have a feeling that a lot of DRL proponents are Milleristas who won't want to speak out against Transit City.

We need to discuss/debate goals and strategy. Do we push for the whole Downsview to STC route and then hope for less (Don Mills to Agincourt) or do we present the compromise solution up front? The former presents the risk of being written off as dreamers. The latter runs the risk of achieving a further compromised solution.

We need to work this stuff out before the website and twitterfeed are populated.

One more point for now. Everybody should keep the newspaper ad campaign goal in mind. If we somehow pulled that off, it would get people talking. Far more than any facebook page or website ever could.

There are alternatives too. ie. getting flyers delivered by the Scarborough Mirror to neighbourhoods in the vicinity of Sheppard East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back