573     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 663     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 511     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd disagree with some people that say we can not allow Eglinton to proceed: I disagree - the LRT planned for Eglinton is good, but needs improvements - particuarly the Richview end and the section between Brentcliffe and Don Mills, which should be grade-separated (elevated would be just fine). The central section, the most complex, is absolutely fine and dandy in my view.

Even with those who support subway expansion, there are differences. How far should Sheppard go? Where on the list should the DRL go, and what stages when?

But one thing I would I agree totally with the hard-core SOS'ers is Sheppard East.

I guess I'd join because I'm against most of Transit City. However, you guys should be aware that by using a name like "Save our Subways" it sounds like you are promoting mode choice ideology over rational planning, which is precisely the reason why I'm so turned off by TC in the first place.

^^ Thanks for the qualified vote of support, ShonTron. There's plenty of room for debate here, of course. Not all of us in the group agree on everything. There is consensus, however, on what's to be done in Scarborough (with Sheppard East, the SRT, SRT Malvern extension, SMLRT) so we are pushing ahead on that. We'll tackle Eglinton, the DRL, etc. later.

I have to disagree with this one.

The whole concept of LRT is to maximize the area served by higher-order transit. Building even Sheppard to STC and Bloor-Danforth to STC would consume a large chunk of the Transit City budget, and building the outer ends of Eglinton as a subway (even if cost savings are found by building cut-and-cover) would consume all of it. This would leave large swaths of the city with little or no improvement to transit service, as there would be no money for Transit City.

You can disagree, but you have to at least realize what it is that you are in agreeance with. Conceptually LRT- in the vain that it's being planned under Transit City- fails the criterion to be a significant improvement over the existing bus network and focuses so much on serving trivial lower-density suburbs over densely populated, established mixed residential-commercials that in the end it fails to adequately cater to either niche in a cost- or time-effective manner.

Spending $15 billion on minor extensions to the Bloor-Danforth and Sheppard Line plus getting a full Eglinton-DRL subway line built, all backed up by dedicated BRT corridors feeding into them from all over the city/GTA is a better utilization of the budget and places higher-order where it needed the most.

With an LRT-only plan, all of Toronto is within a much shorter feeder bus distance of LRT, as we can afford more lines for the same amount of money. Furthermore, expansion of the LRT network becomes much more realistic due to the vastly lower cost (as low as 1/10 of the cost for the least complex LRT lines). Finally, if an LRT becomes crowded, it is much more realistic to build a parallel line, such as Finch East for Sheppard, to relieve it, than to build a full subway line. Only when demand is so high that a parallel relief line is impossible, or the road is too narrow to accommodate surface LRT, does it make sense to build a subway.

Having to build several superfluous LRT lines to compensate for the lack of capacity along one stand-alone Transit City Line should infer to you just how much better the subway is by contrast. The much lauded Sheppard subway which began with lower patronage than the SRT (41k vs. 44k) nows sees on average 55,000 daily users and growing. An ill-conceived SELRT + Sheppard subway menagerie could tamper with all that as travelling via car could get one from SCC to NYCC in far less time given the 5 minute headways precedent. Hence we'd be turning away potential users by the inconvenience of the slower speeds, greater instances of stop/stall and the transfer at Don Mills.

As for the issue of long-distance trips: Neither subway or LRT (with frequent stops) are well suited for this task. Subway is only slightly faster than LRT with properly implemented signal priority. Ever tried taking the subway from Scarborough to Etobicoke? The best solution for long distance trips is (a) vastly improved GO train service (b) BRT or express rail along major highways, such as Highway 401, 403 and 407 and hydro corridors.

Kipling to Kennedy is only 52 minutes. Not bad. The majority of people will still prefer a 80% underground corridor to infrequent GO train service or BRT commutes along the highways that in the event of a blizzard can be slowed down majorly. To get to the airport from downtown, the combined Eglinton-DRL via Mount Dennis would be the preferred choice for anyone relunctant to pay a premium fare. Not to mention the number of major trip generators the subway would get one closer to en route. Likewise NYCC-SCC via subway would only be 20 minutes. Hence, for Point A-B travel within the 416, subways will win out 9 times out of 10.

I would have thought that people would be happier that we aren't just complaining about something but are actually trying to do something about it. Damn these people for fighting for what they believe in!

I'd suggest the following exercise to help us crystalize our fight. Take the population density map posted above and the referenced employment density map and overlay the 2 onto each other. This should concievably bring forward the corridors that have the most activity going on. Go one step further, add in places of interest such as York U, SCC, Zoo, Airport etc. I think with a map like that we'd find the areas that need the most attention, this excercise seems lacking in the Transit City plan.

I would be interested to see just how off some of these LRT lines would be. Ex. Jane chosen over Dufferin?

Also so that we don't appear to be anti LRT, maybe we should plan some alternatives as well. It all depends how far we want to take this.

I would have thought that people would be happier that we aren't just complaining about something but are actually trying to do something about it.
I might disagree with you, and think that it is a bad move. But I am actually happier that you are doing more than complain! Such action is at the heart of what a democracy is.

I'd suggest the following exercise to help us crystalize our fight. Take the population density map posted above and the referenced employment density map and overlay the 2 onto each other. This should concievably bring forward the corridors that have the most activity going on. Go one step further, add in places of interest such as York U, SCC, Zoo, Airport etc. I think with a map like that we'd find the areas that need the most attention, this excercise seems lacking in the Transit City plan.

I would be interested to see just how off some of these LRT lines would be. Ex. Jane chosen over Dufferin?

Also so that we don't appear to be anti LRT, maybe we should plan some alternatives as well. It all depends how far we want to take this.

Take those suggestions to the map makers in the group. They are already developing the basemap. I trust you've seen the rough ones that have been put up already.

But I don't think maps alone are going to win the fight. The centre of gravity here is public ignorance about TC....which can work to our advantage. If we can get the message out that TC=Streetcars + transfers, we'll be well on our way. I've already suggested one way of getting that message out there quickly in the group board.

Note that that density map shows *average* population densities. Entire clusters of commie blocks disappear and some industrial and park lands become quite dense due to this averaging out. It does a decent job of showing which sectors of the city have the most people, but it does little to assist transit planning for local corridors.

CDL's first map in that thread (http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7238) is better since it shows actual population densities. Give him credit if you use it though :)

Jobs and retail and schools and stuff are missing from such a map and these are the places people are actually travelling to, so population is only half the discussion. People keep bringing up Sheppard East vs Finch East but anyone even remotely familiar with the two knows that Sheppard warrants more or a higher order of transit than Finch...always has, always will, even though current population densities may not make this so clear-cut.

Missing from these density debates - as well as from the entire Transfer City process - is a frank discussion of what is physically appropriate for each street. LRT lines were drawn on the map along corridors like Jane and it didn't take long for people to figure out that some hideously expensive tunnels might be needed. If they had bothered to spend more than 5 seconds planning Transfer City, a practical and realistic line could have been proposed for a corridor like Wilson. Or Dufferin instead of Jane even with the tunnel, or Lawrence instead of Morningside. Finch East may seem like a perfect place for LRT but traffic is not an issue, so why waste all that money on a streetcar ROW? The same applies to many corridors - if buses work, keep them and improve them, and if buses won't work, replace them. Transfer City as a plan is a complete disaster and everyone knows it. Other people have mentioned this and they're right: one consequence will be it'll really poison the atmosphere in Toronto in terms of future LRT lines getting built where they'd work well, like Kipling or Steeles or McCowan or a dozen other places. I'm not a big fan of BRT since any corridor that needs infrastructure above and beyond Rocket/Express buses and an occasional diamond lane or queue-jump might as well get an LRT line. Then, of course, we need to throw improve GO lines into the mix.

It's all quite simple. Ridership is extremely malleable and entire neighbourhoods' transit usage can be manipulated by such simple things as parking conditions/costs or traffic light [de]synchronization. The city - *not* its transit lines - decides what gets built and where, though good/bad transit can speed/slow the progress of development. Toronto has such an enormous quantity of suburban bus routes dumping riders onto other routes and subway lines that an enormous percentage of this ridership can be shifted around. Everyone that bitches about capacity should be executed...transit vehicles are effectively full at barely half capacity and by about 2/3 they are extremely uncomfortable and delays mount. Capacity is a theoretical, not a goal.

The more a corridor needs or warrants grade-separation, the more obvious a subway becomes, and when we're extending subway lines, subway extensions are obviously the only option. Only the most fanatical ideologue would think that Toronto does not need to expand its subway system or that Kennedy is the best place to terminate the Danforth line. This forum has some fanatical ideologues but they should know that they only have a few dozen real-world compatriots in Toronto and that the vast, vast majority of the actual living, breathing, and transit-riding public prefers subways over streetcar ROWs. That's just the way it is.

I'm interested in helping any way I can. I'm not a graphic designer but I have a computer science background know html/css/javascript etc. I'd be willing to contribute a bit of money to get some flyers printed.

I live near Yonge and sheppard and think that the Sheppard subway should go from Downsview to STC.

edit: I have often thought it would be a great idea to form a group that opposes the Sheppard E LRT plan. I think "transfer city" is a better name than "Save our subways" because it's memorable, and communicates one of the main problems with the transit city plan.

I had imagined a flyer that:
1. outlined the transit city plan in point form
2. point form bullets explaining the negatives (transfers, little increase in speed, worse for drivers, etc).
3. Then you could give a brief example like "imagine a student who lived in Agincourt who wanted to travel to York University.." Then you could say "Transit City? More like Transfer City!"
4. Finally, outline what could be built instead, if some of the more useless TC lines were cut.

Last edited:
"Transfer City" is a great monniker to deride Transit City, but it's not a good name for a group that is trying to fight for transit in the city. SOS is subversive because it takes the initials of a NIMBY group that everyone hated and uses it for the good of the city and not blockade needed improvements.

We have been discussing strategies in the SOS group here. We can discuss them more fully there. At this point, we've already gone to the trouble of registering saveoursubways.ca (and .com, .net, and .info) and created the twitter account (www.twitter.com/saveoursubways) and have a facebook group.

Not that it's necessarily too late to change the name, but I believe Save Our Subways is more inclusive and addresses more than just the transfers at Kennedy and Don Mills, it addresses the need for a more network-focussed strategy to deal with the fact that our subway system hasn't expanded in 30-40 years on some termini.

Just as long as you're adamant that you're advocating for proper network construction instead of trying to get Scarborough back onto the RT game, I think that Save our Subways is a great name for the movement/thing.

Scarborough just happens to be the front lines for our battle to save our subways at present. Both Danforth and Sheppard are threatened, and if our campaign to save Toronto's subways is to have any chance of succeeding, that's where we must direct our efforts right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back