News   Aug 26, 2024
 543     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 462     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 588     2 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

It really doesn't look that bad. Maybe in the future when Ryerson needs to expand again they'll add more floors and make it taller.

U-G-L-Y

It's an ugly building, at least for the downtown core. It dates the city. A square, beige building.....innovative. There's nothing (which I've seen) that's modern about it.

Re: U-G-L-Y

Speaking of Ryerson, there is a trailer set up at the Victoria Street. South Entrance to Jorgenson Hall, presumably to hold some sort of exhibition space (??) to the future Master Plan.

Will provide updates when there is more info to report.

AoD

Though I got my grad degree in a U of T/Ryerson program a year ago, I still sometimes get messages - my old Ryerson email still works. Here's what I got:

* * * Please do not reply to this email * * *

This is the first in a series of updates to the community on one of our most important and exciting initiatives, Ryerson's Master Plan.

Last week, a modular Presentation Centre arrived on campus. It's located on Victoria Lane across from the Library Building, and over the next 16 months it will be the hub of activity for everything we're going to do to develop the Master Plan. It will include a seminar, presentation and lecture space as well as some offices for those working on the Master Plan. There will be regularly scheduled opportunities for the community to visit the Presentation Centre.

I'm pleased to report that the Master Plan is moving forward quickly. This summer we issued a formal Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting submissions from professional design and planning teams. We hope to choose and announce the successful team by mid-October. This team will work closely with the Ryerson community and our neighbours to develop a blueprint for a revitalized campus for the next 20 years.

We've named the project "RU The Future: Ryerson's Master Plan," and developed a project logo and some graphic design which you'll see put up on the Presentation Centre over the next week or so. I promise to keep you posted on progress as the plan develops. There will be lots of opportunities for everyone in the Ryerson community to have input into the process, and I encourage everyone to participate.

Sheldon Levy
President

Let's hope the master plan isn't proposing more of this type of "modular space", unless they hire Shigeru Ban to do it.

AoD

From the Post:

Ryerson means business with faculty move to bay street
At Bay and Dundas

Emily Mathieu, National Post
Published: Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The head of Ryerson University's Faculty of Business is counting on proximity to Toronto's business district to give students a professional edge.

Starting this week, students enrolled in Ryerson University's Faculty of Business will learn the ropes from the top of a nine-storey structure on the southeast corner of Bay and Dundas streets.

The three-storey space, created in partnership with Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd., boasts a 500-seat auditorium, 32 classrooms, research labs, common rooms and a centre courtyard.

Of course, there is also the address to consider.

"Obviously, a Bay Street location is one that any business school would envy," said Ken Jones, dean of the university's Faculty of Business.

With approximately 8,000 full-time students in undergraduate studies, as well the school's new MBA programs, and 20,000 attending night classes, the faculty needed the space, Dr. Jones said.

As part of the expansion, 20 staff members were added in the past two years and Dr. Jones hopes to add 20 more by 2008.

Being near the heart of Toronto's business community has made attracting Toronto talent very easy, the dean said.

"It's been pretty easy to get adjunct faculty members when you say you can walk through the downtown core, underground in the winter, never having to take off your coat," he said.

While the University of Toronto, the University of Alberta and several other schools rent or have permanent offices downtown, purchasing and operating an entire school is what makes Ryerson a "true downtown university," Dr. Jones said.

"We are seamlessly integrated into the community. We don't set up boundaries," he said. "We connect very strongly to the retail industry and the corporations and companies that service retail."

Ryerson is not the only Canadian university looking to capitalize on a convenient location.

Last year, the University of Victoria met with city council in an effort to get several parts of the school, including its faculty of business, relocated to downtown, and the University of Windsor recently attempted to move some of its departments closer to the city core.

Both projects are on hold or being discussed.

"It's our desire to have an urban campus downtown," Mayor Eddie Francis told the Windsor Star.

"The college seems to be more receptive to it, but it's at the very beginning stages," he said.

Ryerson's new faculty has a $75-million price tag. The provincial government contributed $12.5-million to the project.

The facility might even expand to include an additional two floors.

"We are building a business school not for now, but for the next 25 years as well," Dr. Jones said.

emathieu@nationalpost.com

The bit about 2 additional floors is news to me.

AoD

"The facility might even expand to include an additional two floors."

This is where the empty floors of the Sears store might come into play (all they would have to do is build a skywalk. The present skywalk just services the parking garage).

Or it could merely be similar to the Palin Hall on Gerrard, which got an extra 2 floors (nicer steel and glass building compared to the crummy building below).

Speaking of the Sears floors... anyone know if the parking lot is still on the Eaton Centre - and if it's easy to get to?

Would be a great place for photos, probably.

Joey:

I think the multi-level garage is still there, accessed off Yonge and Shuter.

AoD

There appears to be some walkway connection between the business building and the Sears store, but not sure if it is in use yet.

My first day was interesting here. The escalators weren't working when I left my first class and workers were still working on the interior. When my prof came in he went to the closet to see if he could put his bag in it and the door handle popped off when he grabbed it. Its still a big improvment over the cramped area we had in the old building. Im going to explore it more tomorrow.

If Ryerson is going to add two more floors to the building, I suggest the floors be clad completely in glass to contrast the pre-cast.

Thanks for the heads-up on the presentation centre. Even though I'm not too fond of my old school, I'm very much interested in the planning and design process going on at Ryerson. It would be nice if we ex-members of the Ryerson Urbanists can somehow get involved in this process.

While going over the photos of the exterior and trying to imagine two more floors up top, I have discovered a new way to look at the Ryerson Business Building: you can't improve upon it. No extension of the precast, and no glass glad top floors that I am able to imagine look any good, whatsoever. So like I said, you just can't improve upon this building.

bb

The building looks better in person.

I have no classes in it but I went with my buddy to find the office for the school of business. The inside looks amazing and pretty comfortable even though it isnt fully furnished. There are many spaces for students to just hang out throughout the building. The outside, well its not that noticable from outside.

As for the 'Master Plan' I saw the building housing it and had no clue what it was for until seeing this thread. I guess ill check it out some time when its done.

Back