326     2 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 702     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 504     0 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

How low can you go
giant_tiger_03.jpg

let me clarify then, there will be no trees that will survive to grow to any sort of significant size.

Sometimes I think Toronto just likes torturing trees.

Remember when there were healthy trees along Bremner?

Ryerson Business Building (UT)

Got a chance to explore the new facility today. The inside is quite nice and the courtyard is really well done. They used different shades of stone on the ground to mimic the triangular pattern on the outside of the building, while the planters are made up of gorgeous sedimentary stone. On the outside, the video screen is well under way and the Canadian Tire signage is being added over the frosted glass panels on the north side. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

Re: Ryerson Business Building

I got a short guided tour from the Dean of Business earlier today, and had a quick look yesterday as well. I really like the interior as well. You should check out the lecture hall between floors 7 and 8 - it's massive (and actually looks nice fro a lecture hall). Some computer labs look out on to the courtyard (looks like it will be very nice when complete), and get a lot of natural light, uncommon for computer labs.

Looks like the space was well-planned, but we'll see in mid-September.

Most of my classes are here next week, so I will get to see first hand how they stand up.

I took some pics earlier this evening in and around the new Ryerson Business building.

f_IMG_0113.jpg

f_IMG_0114.jpg

f_IMG_0115.jpg

f_IMG_0116.jpg

f_IMG_0118.jpg

f_IMG_0119.jpg

f_IMG_0121.jpg

f_IMG_0122.jpg

f_IMG_0123.jpg

f_IMG_0124.jpg

f_IMG_0125.jpg

f_IMG_0126.jpg

f_IMG_0128.jpg

f_IMG_0129.jpg

The interier looks damn nice and it looks like a little money was spent on materials, both inside and for the courtyard.

Thanks for the pics.

Thank you for the pictures. I like the courtyard. This looks like it might be a good addition to the cityscape after all.

The courtyard and interior look good. I wish the exterior had the same cladding as the courtyard... but who knows, it may become tolerable with the video screen and signage.

I spent some time walking around Ryerson Business late Sunday night after a movie and I'm not sure if this place is growing on me, or if I foolishly jumped the gun by condemning this project 2 or 3 months ago. This time I'll reserve my judgment until it's complete, but I must say I felt some guilt for expressing such negativity here as I observed the new corner from different vantage points. I was thinking it seems more appealing as it has come together while at the same time, I was trying to visualize it complete with some greenery and with retail, signage etc. lit up and operational.
The building aside, I'm really impressed with the wide sidewalks, which border the building along Dundas & Bay Streets. The south sidewalk on Dundas between Yonge & Bay I find particularly open, "friendly" and attractive. I didn't see any sign of footers or planters on Bay Street, but six or eight trees along the Bay street sidewalk just may win me over.

Is the courtyard for walking around in or just looking at?

The new planters on Dundas have (if properly kept up) the promise that they may be as appealing as those along Michigan Avenue's Magnificent Mile in the windy city that makes its sidewalks so enjoyable.

Thanks goodness Toronto requires these things to have plumbing to keep them watered nowadays...

Went at lunch today. Only a small portion of the courtyard is for people, most is for looking at. Checked out the underground passageway (an extension of the PATH!) to the building. The interior is quite pleasant and gives a feeling of seclusion, which is probably good.

I'd love to own one of the metal, glossy, completely un-updateable PATH maps. I hope they replace them and auction off the old one day.

photos by cassiusa

Ryerson
IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Installation of the video display progresses
IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

Metropolis is easily visible from Bay