543     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 462     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 588     2 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

Re: bb

The building looks better in person.

I made the same comment about a month ago, I agree.
I watched the Best Buy sign get hauled up today so it's up now. As I watched the Best Buy sign getting hoisted up what really struck me standing on the south sidewalk, a little west of H&M was the high volume of foot traffic along there now. Never used to be like that. Ryerson & the retail sure is making that a busy walking route now

anyone been in the new Canadian Tire yet to check out the wacky special escalator for shopping carts? was in there today for a bit and it was attracting quite a crowd. never seen one of those before

The annoying thing about the building is that a few relatively minor changes would have made a huge difference with respect to how it looks on the outside. It just appears so disjointed in some parts.

But it is good to see that it is attracting pedestrian traffic.

the Canadian Tire escalator is the best thing about the building. i'm sure some idiot will break his neck riding down it in a shopping cart and it will be removed.

i think they missed an opportunity to do something interesting along the eastern side of the building with the walkway to Trinity Square. Maybe a student hangout with a patio. maybe small student-geared or student-run (hands on business experience!) shops. instead it's just a blank wall and now it will remain a dead zone.

"the Canadian Tire escalator is the best thing about the building. i'm sure some idiot will break his neck riding down it in a shopping cart and it will be removed."

or going down it on a cafeteria tray.. you'd be going about 300km/h at the bottom!

I'm going to have to check it out, but is this just merely a "Movator" like at the Square One and Dufferin Mall Woolco/Wal-Marts, or something else altogether?

Doesn't every 2 storey Wal-Mart have a movator? I don't know if it's a relic from the Woolco days or if they have them elsewhere.

All the Big Gay Loblaws have them too - what's all the excitement about?

ap, there you go building a wall between V of E and his groceries now.

no it's different than the ones at loblaws, basically a normal escalator at a 45 degree pitch with a separate escalator between the up and the down that you stick your cart into..

like this

pcover.gif

They have those at Targets and Wal-Marts in the U.S. First I've seen in Canada.

Guess they take up less space than the traditional shallow slope movator that supermarkets use for multi-storey parking access that lock shopping carts into treads at the wheels.

The Canadian Tire might have the worst ceiling I've ever seen in a store. It's positively soul-crushing.

An excited Canadian Tire employee stated this escalator is the first of it's kind in Canada. I found more people watching the staff send empty carts up & down every few minutes for people's amusement than were actually shopping in the store! Me included.

Back