News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

The upper part seems decent. The Canadian Tire part of the facade is on par with Canadian Tire's low architectural standards for their stores in general. If you renovate the Canadian Tire part, it could be a nice building. I think that no one criticized this project when Canadian Tire first became involved because it was seen as very progressive for a big-box retailer to come downtown. Plus, they were using their freshed corporate store look. But with time, it has become apparent how cheap the design originally was.

For what it’s worth the newer designs for the CT urban format stores like the one on King West in Liberty are miles beyond the Eaton Centre store. I’m not sure if it’s open but I have seen a few photos and it looks much more polished and cohesive than this one. This location is showing its age inside and out.

I found it was the merchandising that killed the Eaton Centre store. I get floorspace is expensive, but I find it's claustrophobic to try to shop in there. For some reason the displays just seem taller, or the aisles narrower, or maybe it's the layout that doesn't allow for clear views through the space. Moreso than any other Canadian Tire I've shopped in (and I frequent several), this is the one I find most unpleasant to be in.

And oddly, this one also doesn't ever seem to carry anything I need. I've walked out of there empty-handed so many times that I generally don't bother anymore. The one at Yonge/Church seems to serve my needs far better

The upper part seems decent. The Canadian Tire part of the facade is on par with Canadian Tire's low architectural standards for their stores in general. If you renovate the Canadian Tire part, it could be a nice building. I think that no one criticized this project when Canadian Tire first became involved because it was seen as very progressive for a big-box retailer to come downtown. Plus, they were using their freshed corporate store look. But with time, it has become apparent how cheap the design originally was.

The design of the building had nothing to do with Canadian Tire. CT had to work with what it was given. I've seen all of the files for this project, and at no point was CT's design input factored into the exterior elevations beyond signage. The inside look also wasn't standard. It was custom for this store. It actually looked great when it opened. 3 owners later, that concept has been ripped apart and turned into what it looks like today. It's under new ownership, hence the changes happening now.

Even the changes CT is making now had to be 100% reversible before they got approved, so that it can look the way it did before once/if CT ever leaves.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth the newer designs for the CT urban format stores like the one on King West in Liberty are miles beyond the Eaton Centre store. I’m not sure if it’s open but I have seen a few photos and it looks much more polished and cohesive than this one. This location is showing its age inside and out.
I found it was the merchandising that killed the Eaton Centre store. I get floorspace is expensive, but I find it's claustrophobic to try to shop in there. For some reason the displays just seem taller, or the aisles narrower, or maybe it's the layout that doesn't allow for clear views through the space. Moreso than any other Canadian Tire I've shopped in (and I frequent several), this is the one I find most unpleasant to be in.

And oddly, this one also doesn't ever seem to carry anything I need. I've walked out of there empty-handed so many times that I generally don't bother anymore. The one at Yonge/Church seems to serve my needs far better

The Eaton Centre location is currently being renovated to compete with Liberty Village (Liberty was supposed to open last week but is now postponed due to COVID-19). A lot of the elements from Liberty are being recreated here, and the upper level will feel a lot less claustrophobic once completed (It already does, as many aisles have come down).

That being said, it's mostly lipstick on a pig at this point. I do agree, Yonge and Church is my go-to also. (Leslie Lake Shore is also a great store)

The Leslie store is excellent, other than the parking lot and getting in and out of the building. Can be a pain in the butt if I'm picking up something large or bulky.

If every Canadian Tire was the Main/Danforth Canadian Tire I'd be a perfectly satisfied customer. It's well stocked, well laid out, easy to find someone to help when I need something out of a cabinet, and always lots of good parking. My only quibble is that they often keep their Danforth entrance locked, so if I happen to be coming on foot I need to walk around.

I guess the Eaton Centre store had a weird niche to fill. I'd imagine the inventory that moves in that store is probably pretty different from other stores in the chain. Probably fewer customers coming in to buy winches and table saws and that kind of thing. Haven't been in the Liberty Village store, but I can see the similarities in demographics. Hopefully some lessons are being learned for other retailers who might also look to bring large-scale format stores into tighter urban spaces. Kind of surprising more retailers aren't popping up downtown with so many new residents coming in

People lining up outside Canadian Tire today:

20200411_125418.jpg
20200411_125847.jpg
20200411_125959.jpg

This 'stay at home' measure makes no sense. Canadian Tire is considered essential like groceries and medication?

From my understanding, all Canadian Tire stores have been closed, although seemingly except the Bay & Dundas location. In fairness to the above situation, the store does provide access to pertinent items during times like these such as cleaning supplies and household goods. Which depending on the interpretation of "essential" it can be of value, especially for downtown residents who may not have such ease of access towards online shopping or require something immediately. And of course on an important note, social distancing was for the most part observed.

I personally strongly dislike the beige tones of the upper floor facades (I just don't like the colours chosen), and the coarse, dull-gray nature of the ground floor is depressing on a street like Dundas.

Thankfully, I doubt these are unsolvable problems- but we may be waiting some time for any changes to appear.

I personally strongly dislike the beige tones of the upper floor facades (I just don't like the colours chosen), and the coarse, dull-gray nature of the ground floor is depressing on a street like Dundas.

Thankfully, I doubt these are unsolvable problems- but we may be waiting some time for any changes to appear.
I find it looks beyond dated like from the 60s 70s. Wich was not a great time for architecture and design. (imo) also, it’s just a big square. Boring.

Back