News   Aug 26, 2024
 678     3 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 801     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 529     0 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

The ability to build whatever your heart desires is what got us in this visual mess in the first place - and is indeed a design issue.

Alvin, I certainly don't discard the notion of aesthetics and its importance and when I mentioned function I really was focusing on the human organization which I would stand firm as suggesting is far more important then any physical structure it houses itself in. In this example the on-going development of Ryerson University and it's business school is far more important then the space it occupies now or how that space relates to the context of the city. Of course if you need space why not make it good space? Only Ryerson, Cadillac Fairview and Zeidler can answer that one. But of course if the enterprise is even mildly successful in another decade those human organizations will be around, stronger and able to propose a better iteration.

Can we list the Ryerson Business School as Toronto's newest brutalist building? In my opinion the school does fulfill the "spirit" of brutalism... The exterior is concrete, with simple geometric designs to make it slightly interesting. The building is boxy. I think the interior will be a pleasant surprise in contrast to the brutal exterior, just like a lot of other brutalist buildings around Toronto (Scarborough College and the original Ontario Science Centre come to mind).

Does anybody know whether or how internal connections to the Eaton Centre are planned?
"Underground" is what one of the Zeidler architects told simply Dan and myself at Doors Open the other day.

The underground connection to the former movie theatre on the site of the new Ryerson building still exists, I would presume. In the sidewalk area between the former JJ Mugs and new building there's plywood covering the skylights for the connection, unless it's been removed recently.

Yeah, I can understand why Zeidler would use this precast facade treatment on its university buildings. After all, it's reminiscent of the "Uni" record label logo
unirec.jpg

Ryerson Business Building Occupation date

I dont know if this was already discussed somewhere, so I hope this serves to inform at least some that may be interested. This is an email I just received from School.

OCCUPANCY OF NEW FACULTY OF BUINESS BUILDING - MONDAY, AUGUST 28, 2006!!!

Greetings to one and all. As many of you know, the School of Business
Management will be moving to our new facilities at 55 Dundas Street
West, in August. The School of Business Management Student
Information/Counselling area will be located in room RBB1-004. You need
to be aware, however, that students and the general public will not be
allowed into the building until Monday, August 28th. This means that
prior to this date, all normal operations and services of the School of
Business Management that deal with students will continue to operate
out of our current location, which is 285 Victoria Street. The
telephone numbers for the School, Faculty and Staff will remain the same
both before and after August 28th.

The general public will be allowed in the business building? Sounds like Ryerson's going the other way after installing card-reader access in all the buildings.

I am curious about how the business building will look on the inside. If there's an open house I might go. Otherwise I'll see if my soon-to-expire Ryerson OneCard will get me inside!

Passed by this morning and noticed that the Canadian Tire has it's shelving installing well into progress and signs on the windows for hiring, but I didn't see an opening date.

Lucky them. They can sit in their offices at the Ryerson Business Building and stare out the window down Bay and Dundas streets and not see the hideousness that is the Ryerson Business Building.

There's no shortage of hideousness on that corner for them to look out at.

Greetings to one and all. As many of you know, the School of Business Management will be moving to our new facilities at 55 Dundas Street West, in August.
Wasn't one of the major points of this project to give the school a Bay Street address?

Then they're in step with most the major banks, brokerages, law firms and accountants, most of which have addresses on King Street, not Bay Street.

Back