266     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 317     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing Ford has said today is he was unable to have a shower this morning because his house lost power. Apparently he is unaware that you don't need electricity to do that.

Lets see if he will push city officials to fix his home first, just like when the repairs at Deco got preferential treatment.

Wasn't there a state of emergency when Mel Lastman called in the army?

Yes. That was under the 1997 City of Toronto Act.

Four Canadian Forces Bison ambulances were deployed downtown to provide mobility support to Toronto EMS.

To show how bad things can get during a winter storm, this is an official message ( spelling mistakes included ) from the NYPD during their Christmas 2010 storm:
https://twitter.com/1PolicePlaza/status/19444239410659328

Toronto is nowhere near that situation...yet.

Last edited:
The real reason Ford doesn't want to declare an emergency

Here is what Ford thinks happens when you declare a state of emergency:

Ford said calling an emergency would in essence “shut the whole city down†and this is not yet necessary.

Sunday’s concert for Kanye West would have to be cancelled and “stores would have to be closed†and all transit would have to be halted.

It could have cost the city millions.

He is a truly, truly stupid man.

His statements are so grossly incorrect that I am beyond words. I just want to crawl into bed and go to sleep until October 2014.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/22/the-political-battle-behind-the-storm

Yes you guys are just silly ... seriously ... I hate Ford as much as the next guy, but your just nitpicking ... do read more about what a state of emergency implies ... its completely unnecessary in this scenario ... Ford or not ...

A state of emergency just means that protocols kick in that make it easier to access resources, co-ordinate communications, etc. It allows various levels of government to cut through the usual red tape in order to respond quickly where people's safety might be at risk. It's not a big deal to declare one, it just makes things go smoother.

I would agree with you that it may not be necessary at this point, as the Province has clearly been willing to intervene without relying on a declaration. But an immediate declaration early yesterday morning would have everything easier. When that many people are without power during the winter (it's more than 250,000 - that's just the number of customers) and the solution is all about funding and manpower, it's an appropriate time to declare an emergency.

I truly believe that Wynne's offer of help without declarations was really to avert the foolishness in Toronto. I'm glad she took the high road, but the emergency protocols exist for a good reason.

robyndoolittle ‏@robyndoolittle 3h
Just spoke with public works chair Denzil Minnan-Wong. He says city staff are in fact NOT recommending TO declare state of emergency.

nobody's recommending declaring SOE. Chill out, people. you don't have to say everything the opposite of Ford to prove your opposition to him.

Until the City Manager recommends it and Ford refuses, it's really not a Ford issue.

Wasn't there a state of emergency when Mel Lastman called in the army?
It is always better to err on the side of caution. If declaring a state of emergency will get extra help to clear the roads and restore power to epole then we should do it. The temperature is going to be very cold tonight. If they have to live with that for 5 possible days (until the weekend as the Hydro chief said), then that is a state of emergency. They may not have running water as well.

It should be a state of emergency. How many parents with babies and no heat or water to make them food? How many of the elderly and mentally handicapped are alone, with no one looking out for their needs? How many people with no phone service and therefore no way to call or text anyone? There are still about 300,000 people without heat and hot water and only 3 community centres in Scarborough taking people in, all of them in the far east of Scarborough. How many homeless people with no shelter? This is definitely an emergency. Ford is an incompetent POS.

I wonder if GFL is involved with extra trucks or resources to assist in the "not an emergency" emergency cleanup and waste removal?

For good or bad Toronto is getting plenty of coverage , Mr. Ford seems to be the Main topic down under , has even knocked the Boat people and Indonesia off the radar.

I ignorantly assumed I was the only Aussie who knew about Mr. Ford due to my involvement at UT , alas not so , there seems to be no end to this man's arrogance and perpetual anti social gaff's and decisions and still he is in power, the Morally upright have probably mooted this very question..??? well Maybe Mr.Ford may have the Goods on some of his colleagues..?? as the Corruption of the Toronto ruling Elite ''Mafia" has been the main theme that has been mooted in the New's Stories, kick backs, dodgy land deals, intimidation..ect..ect.. a never ending saga, cannot end well for the Citizens that love their city and have pride in it.

It should be a state of emergency. How many parents with babies and no heat or water to make them food? How many of the elderly and mentally handicapped are alone, with no one looking out for their needs? How many people with no phone service and therefore no way to call or text anyone? There are still about 300,000 people without heat and hot water and only 3 community centres in Scarborough taking people in, all of them in the far east of Scarborough. How many homeless people with no shelter? This is definitely an emergency. Ford is an incompetent POS.

That's exactly it. Too late now though. I have taken in three friends, that makes five of us here at night but I have a friend with an 11 month old baby who luckily did her grocery shopping Saturday before her power dropped Saturday night so luckily she has food for her and her baby. Her halls and stairs are in darkness, she lives on the 22nd floor and may not have heat until the weekend now? Her daycare is closed so she loses pay today (she's on contract) and this is one example of what tens of thousands are going through. Btw, it's over half million people without power as of an hour ago.
Just wait until tomorrow after a night of -10 to -15C temps and then wait to hear people screaming. Next up: water pipes start bursting if it gets too cold. Much, or most of this would have been unnecessary if this was a fully co-ordinated effort from Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back