3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly it. Too late now though. I have taken in three friends, that makes five of us here at night but I have a friend with an 11 month old baby who luckily did her grocery shopping Saturday before her power dropped Saturday night so luckily she has food for her and her baby. Her halls and stairs are in darkness, she lives on the 22nd floor and may not have heat until the weekend now? Her daycare is closed so she loses pay today (she's on contract) and this is one example of what tens of thousands are going through. Btw, it's over half million people without power as of an hour ago.
Just wait until tomorrow after a night of -10 to -15C temps and then wait to hear people screaming. Next up: water pipes start bursting if it gets too cold. Much, or most of this would have been unnecessary if this was a fully co-ordinated effort from Sunday morning.

Luckily never lost power at my location by Little Italy.

Rob Ford screwed up seriously by not calling it an emergency.
I know many people throughout city that have no power.
For over half million citizens (especially children) this is a crappy, cold Christmas.
More expensive for parents as well.

Ford's only thinking of his next drink, hit on pipe or whatever.

Two things to consider:

1. While Ford is being completely ineffectual, it would be really helpful if his opponents in next year's mayoral election were shown rolling up their sleeves and helping out. Even if it's a simple gesture like bringing hot coffee to frontline workers. That kind of publicity stunt tends to work.

2. Most of Ford's suburban voter base is freezing in the dark, but "downtown elites", of course, have power. This would be an excellent time to erode Ford votes in the suburbs by showing just how little Ford cares for suburbanites. Chances are his family is holed up in a downtown hotel. It's also a tremendous electioneering opportunity for his opponents. Somebody get John Tory and a camera crew out to a family living in a frozen TCHC property up on Driftwood Avenue post haste!

Everyone: One day last week during Jay Leno's monologue he played this animated video by JibJab:
2013 year in review www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vNy05_3QV4 Time-1:43
Note Rob Ford's appearance at about 0:28...

From reading some recent posts here it seems that Mayor Rob Ford may be brought down even further depending
on how the City Of Toronto responds to the ice storm aftermath...I agree with what has been mentioned about not
being able to stage events like a Kanye West concert when thousands have no power or worse and he seems only
concerned about the money...

LI MIKE

Correct expression is ...

Yes, and why not? Am I supposed to pretend I like Ford? I wish he didn't exist. I will not pretend otherwise. He is a nasty boorish human being with little to no use to this world. I could care less if he died.

I could not care less. And I could not care less as well. People die all the time. Why cannot it be him?

Good news, trucks from Michigan, Illinois, New York & Manitoba are now on the way here to help out those brave, tired souls at Toronto Hydro. I wonder how many geniuses it took to figure out 36 hours later that we need some help here?

When visiting my sister's house during the holidays I learned that my niece met Ford a couple of weeks ago while on a class trip. http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/12/11/meeting-embattled-toronto-mayor-a-highlight-for-sarnia-students On her phone she had a trophy picture standing beside the mayor. As a result of the visit she decided that he isn't such a bad guy. I didn't ask if she was given a business card or a fridge magnet. According to the article, all the students received t-shirts. I tried to tell her that he was a horrible, horrible person, but didn't go into all the reasons why I think that is true. Don't think she was really listening to me. "It's not like he said something stupid while we were there," she said.

Two things to consider:

1. While Ford is being completely ineffectual, it would be really helpful if his opponents in next year's mayoral election were shown rolling up their sleeves and helping out. Even if it's a simple gesture like bringing hot coffee to frontline workers. That kind of publicity stunt tends to work.

2. Most of Ford's suburban voter base is freezing in the dark, but "downtown elites", of course, have power. This would be an excellent time to erode Ford votes in the suburbs by showing just how little Ford cares for suburbanites. Chances are his family is holed up in a downtown hotel. It's also a tremendous electioneering opportunity for his opponents. Somebody get John Tory and a camera crew out to a family living in a frozen TCHC property up on Driftwood Avenue post haste!

Yup, I hate to imagine how much some businesses (retail especially) will lose if they're forced to stay closed or without electricity until after Christmas. Ford, a business-friendly mayor you are not.

Yes, and why not? Am I supposed to pretend I like Ford? I wish he didn't exist. I will not pretend otherwise. He is a nasty boorish human being with little to no use to this world. I could care less if he died.

Actually, I was asking the person asking Mtown "Are we still doing this?" if we're still on the CL threadjack. IOW I share your sentiments.

He advised that his wife and kids are safely at home and they plan on going to a hotel somewhere (CTV news, 6pm), then went on to say, and I quote, "...the city is my second most important priority" (paraphrasing). See it for yourself. Stunning. He babbled on about "sure, a few trees are blocking the roads..." and goes on to encourage people to go to someone's home who has power and heat if possible - yet Metro Police area asking people to stay off the roads except unless absolutely necessary.

Pretty revealing family dynamics if he has spent time in a hotel since the outage instead of taking the family to spend the night (or two) at Doug's, Randy's, or even his Mom's. And I doubt it if all of them have their power off also.

What would David Miller be doing if he were mayor still?

He would be organizing places for people to go to. He would be trying all ways possible to communicate with the people who had no phone or internet connections. He would be all over CBC, CP24. He would be telling neighbours to check on elderly and frail neighbours. He would be urging people not to drive on the roads.

Here is what he would not be doing - going on TV stating there is no emergency, then telling people to go to hotels.

Oh and I am sure David Miller would also ask that neighbours take in neighbours and I am positive he would not talk about 20,000 Housing units without heat and hydro by telling them to get a hotel. No. Miller would already understand they could not afford hotels and I bet he would have hooked up with a few community centres and churches to ensure those who needed shelter would have it. In short, he would do everything a smart, intelligent, compassionate person would do.

But we have a small-minded, idiotic child man whiner for mayor, also a coward.

Miller would never have said shit about having to cancel fucking Kanye and what a hard ship that would be.

Yeah I am pissed that some people seem to think Ford, fucking FORD is better than Miller. Millers toenail is better than an entire Ford.

Pretty revealing family dynamics if he has spent time in a hotel since the outage instead of taking the family to spend the night (or two) at Doug's, Randy's, or even his Mom's. And I doubt it if all of them have their power off also.

Even if they don't have power, doesn't Mother Ford have a fire place with some skin rugs?

Seriously, perhaps despite Ford, Hydro crews (some from MI and Man) are working hard, the Red Cross is helping out at warming centres and the TPS has opened some stations to those w/out power. The city is accepting help from the province. I do hope people are walking the 'hoods and buildings w/out power letting people know where they can go to get help. I am lucky but one of my sons (and his dad's family) is w/out power by the bluffs in Scarborough w/young children and elderly in the household and another friend is freezing on the 10th floor of her building.

ETA - yeah, this is an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back