179     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 991     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 2K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I know it is an edited, manipulated video that is not ready for prime time but it illustrates that surprising things can be done without Hollywood studios and millions of dollars as suggested by many.

Are you serious? lol Shit, even I can do this basic stuff and I know very little about doing special effects. It's cheap to do too, just buy some green material and use green screen on iMovie. Any idiot can clearly tell this is fake. It's the top quality effects that costs a pretty penny. I can't believe someone would use this video to prove how easy it is to make a credible fake. Note the word CREDIBLE.

spider:

No, it illustrates that video editing is actually much easier than anyone thought. The all singing all dancing spoof offered goes well beyond the requirements of a static threesome and a pipe with a dubbed sound track.

I think you missed the key word in my post - i.e. believable. Video editing is easy - creation of a realistic video mimicking an actual real life one is stupendously difficult.

AoD

No, it illustrates that video editing is actually much easier than anyone thought. The all singing all dancing spoof offered goes well beyond the requirements of a static threesome and a pipe with a dubbed sound track.

The recent behaviour of Rob Ford and Co. is deplorable and not what you would expect to hear from innocent people but it is, as you state, irrelevant to the video's authenticity.

My post earlier today was prompted by the video spoof only and not regarding the presumed guilt of Rob Ford on any count.

Spider, I've spoken to some media professionals at a local college about it. What they've said to me is that pulling off a believable fake is practically imposible. A $500,000 budget and the best Hollywood studios couldn't do it.

Now of course, any 12 year old could easily make a fake. Print out a photo of a crack pipe and record yourself placing it front of Ford's mouth. Of course, that would be a very poor fake.

The technology to convincingly fake the video of Rob Ford as described does not currently exist and if it did, would almost certainly not be availible to anybody that would want to. It is foolish to believe that some slapped together comedy edit made with Windows Movie Maker or something indicates otherwise.

Spider, I've spoken to some media professionals at a local college about it. What they've said to me is that pulling off a believable fake is practically imposible.

not practically impossible: totally impossible.
see above: there are no totally believable CGI HUMANS. none.
are there animals? yes.
are there cars, and a million other inaminate objects? of course.
a human being moving in space? absolutely not.

Now add how impossible it is to create convincing text-to-speech that mimics human intonations accurately, especially based on voice samples of Rob Ford. Right now, even average people, let alone a professional voice pathologist, can tell that the best available text-to-speech software sounds robotic.

When I saw this story it reminded me of another story in the Star yesterday about a young man in his early twenties who died after falling from a twenty floor balcony of the infamous 200 Wellesley building (infamous for it's crack dens!).

His death is mysterious because the lack of blood on the ground indicates that the man was already dead when he fell (or was pushed) from the balcony. Could this story be linked to the Ford crack-cocaine case? Is throwing people off of balconies a favored method for drug lords of getting rid of opponents because they know inept police forces - like we have in Toronto - will mistake the murder for suicide?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...thrown_but_no_one_knows_his_name_fiorito.html

LOLOL. You cannot be serious.

A few folks I was talking said it may be worth taking a look into connections between the Mafia in the construction industry and the Ford administration. Even though there is likely not a direct link between Ford himself and the Mafia, certain groups may be looking to take advantage of the lack of oversight the last few years has brought.

Just a suggestion, not direct evidence.

LOLOL This thread is amazing. The theories just get crazier and crazier.

Who are these "folks" you were talking to that suggested "Mafia links" and do they smoke crack and/or opiates?

The dollar value in terms of scandals at the provincial and federal level dwarf anything that could happen at the municipal level. If it's "oversight" that concerns you.... I suggest you look to other levels of government first.

Last edited:
LOLOL This thread is amazing. The theories just get crazier and crazier.

Who are these "folks" you were talking to that suggested "Mafia links" and do they smoke crack and/or opiates?

The dollar value in terms of scandals at the provincial and federal level dwarf anything that could happen at the municipal level. If it's "oversight" that concerns you.... I suggest you look to other levels of government first.

These are just theories that I overheard. It is up to you whether you believe them or not. Regardless, corruption at the municipal level should be treated as seriously as corruption at other levels of government- municipal government affects us much more directly. We don't want what's happening in Montreal to spread over here.

I personally don't believe that The Fords are completely innocent- at least with his brother, remember the whole Portlands debacle and the Build Toronto issue going on right now?

Last edited:
A few days old, but On That Note:

folio-ford-doug01nw1.JPG

Build Toronto in turmoil after six independent directors leave
ELIZABETH CHURCH AND TARA PERKINS
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Jun. 05 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Jun. 06 2013, 11:44 AM EDT

Build Toronto, set up to develop and sell the city’s surplus land, is in turmoil after multiple departures from its board and allegations that the mayor’s brother is trying to hand-pick the new chief executive for the arm’s-length agency.

Six independent directors – five real-estate executives and one architect – have left or are about to leave the 13-member board. That includes the exit two weeks ago of chairman Stuart Lazier and the recent resignations of the two other independent directors serving on the committee seeking a new CEO, leaving Councillor Doug Ford as its only member.

Mr. Ford, vice-chair of Build Toronto, has stepped in as chair of the board, which includes two city employees and two city councillors from the mayor’s executive committee. Only two independent directors remain.

A months-long search for a new CEO to replace real-estate veteran Lorne Braithwaite has been derailed, three sources familiar with the process say, by Mr. Ford. The sources say Mr. Ford has pushed to give the job to Toronto Port Lands CEO Michael Kraljevic.

The upheaval has some questioning Build Toronto’s future and its ability to attract talent from the real-estate industry.

The agency, formed at the recommendation of a blue-ribbon panel four years ago, was envisioned as a way for the city get more value from its large property portfolio by entering into joint ventures with private developers rather than just selling surplus parcels of land. Its many projects include a site at Yonge Street and York Mills Road set to become an office building, as well as a $295-million joint venture with Tridel for a condo tower at the foot of York Street.

While it has generated millions for the city, Build Toronto has its critics on council. Its private-sector-style salaries and bonuses put its executives at a pay scale not enjoyed by other city staff and the size and design of some projects – such as the York Street condo – initially upset local residents.

Asked about the changes at Build Toronto, Mr. Lazier confirmed his decision to leave was sudden, saying it was “for personal reasons.”

Mr. Ford said Thursday the search for a CEO is “going good.”

“We have five candidates. They are all good candidates and we’ll see what the new board decides,” he said.

Mr. Ford dismissed reports that he is trying to put Mr. Kraljevic in the post over the objections of other members of the search committee, but went on to list Mr. Kraljevic’s experience in the industry. “I’ll tell you one thing, he is one out of five candidates, excellent candidate,” he said. Adding, ”He’s probably one of the leading candidates along with other people at Build Toronto.“

Asked about the departure of six of independent directors from the Build Toronto board, Mr. Ford said one left because of a conflict and another decided not to return for another term. “It is always good to refresh a board,” he said.

Other board members said the disruption at Build Toronto is partly the result of board terms coming to an end and the departure of its leader. It’s not clear that all of the board members who are leaving are doing so because of the CEO issue.

“Any time there is a search to put a new CEO in place, everybody wants to get their person in,” said Councillor Michael Thompson, a member of the Build Toronto board who is not a member of the search committee.

Mr. Thompson stressed no one has been chosen for the CEO post. He said the job is difficult to fill because it requires industry experience as well as an ability to balance the need to increase returns on land sales with the desires of councillors and local residents. The agency cannot just look to get the highest dollar, it also needs to leverage the sale of land to create city-building opportunities, he said.

For that reason, he said a “top dog,” from the industry may not be an appropriate choice. “We have to figure a way forward,” Mr. Thompson said. “There is a huge balancing act.”

A list of new directors is expected to go to city council at its meeting next week. Two of the independent directors who are leaving have completed their four-year terms and have decided not to serve again.

Until the new directors are in place, the board will not pick a new CEO, said several directors, who confirmed Mr. Kraljevic is a candidate.

Even without an appointment, the shortlisting of Mr. Kraljevic is raising alarm bells with some councillors because of the role the Toronto Port Lands played in Mr. Ford’s efforts to take control of development in the eastern harbour from Waterfront Toronto.

That plan, which Mr. Ford mused could include a Ferris wheel and megamall, would have shifted control of the city land to Toronto Port Lands, from Waterfront Toronto, an agency controlled by three levels of government.

Councillor Paula Fletcher, who led the fight against Mr. Ford’s Port Lands vision, worries with his handpicked leader in charge of Build Toronto, the battle over development on the waterfront could begin again.

“I think we could have a collision course here and it really makes me concerned,” Ms. Fletcher said.

Mr. Thompson said whoever becomes the new leader of Build Toronto will need a range of skills beyond real-estate experience. “The job has changed,” he said.

Attachments

• folio-ford-doug01nw1.JPG
    folio-ford-doug01nw1.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
^ Good to keep in mind.

Hopefully a committee of one is unable to select a new head of Build Toronto, otherwise you know Doug and the Exec Committee will select Lyle Lanley with his promises of Ferris Wheels and Monorails.

These are just theories that I overheard. It is up to you whether you believe them or not. Regardless, corruption at the municipal level should be treated as seriously as corruption at other levels of government- municipal government affects us much more directly. We don't want what's happening in Montreal to spread over here.

I personally don't believe that The Fords are completely innocent- at least with his brother, remember the whole Portlands debacle and the Build Toronto issue going on right now?

The corruption in Montreal spans decades. Ford has been Mayor for how long? So if we want to compare Toronto to Montreal, that would mean the corruption has been ongoing for decades. And EVERY single mayor before him (for decades) would have been complicit in corruption, bid rigging etc etc.

To try and link Ford to the Mafia, is RIDICULOUS. Is he a buffoon and a moron? Yes. But this is starting to get ridiculous.

A few days old, but On That Note:

View attachment 13692

Build Toronto in turmoil after six independent directors leave

ELIZABETH CHURCH AND TARA PERKINS
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Jun. 05 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Jun. 06 2013, 11:44 AM EDT

Build Toronto, set up to develop and sell the city’s surplus land, is in turmoil after multiple departures from its board and allegations that the mayor’s brother is trying to hand-pick the new chief executive for the arm’s-length agency.

Six independent directors – five real-estate executives and one architect – have left or are about to leave the 13-member board. That includes the exit two weeks ago of chairman Stuart Lazier and the recent resignations of the two other independent directors serving on the committee seeking a new CEO, leaving Councillor Doug Ford as its only member.

Mr. Ford, vice-chair of Build Toronto, has stepped in as chair of the board, which includes two city employees and two city councillors from the mayor’s executive committee. Only two independent directors remain.

A months-long search for a new CEO to replace real-estate veteran Lorne Braithwaite has been derailed, three sources familiar with the process say, by Mr. Ford. The sources say Mr. Ford has pushed to give the job to Toronto Port Lands CEO Michael Kraljevic.

The upheaval has some questioning Build Toronto’s future and its ability to attract talent from the real-estate industry.

The agency, formed at the recommendation of a blue-ribbon panel four years ago, was envisioned as a way for the city get more value from its large property portfolio by entering into joint ventures with private developers rather than just selling surplus parcels of land. Its many projects include a site at Yonge Street and York Mills Road set to become an office building, as well as a $295-million joint venture with Tridel for a condo tower at the foot of York Street.

While it has generated millions for the city, Build Toronto has its critics on council. Its private-sector-style salaries and bonuses put its executives at a pay scale not enjoyed by other city staff and the size and design of some projects – such as the York Street condo – initially upset local residents.

Asked about the changes at Build Toronto, Mr. Lazier confirmed his decision to leave was sudden, saying it was “for personal reasons.”

Mr. Ford said Thursday the search for a CEO is “going good.”

“We have five candidates. They are all good candidates and we’ll see what the new board decides,” he said.

Mr. Ford dismissed reports that he is trying to put Mr. Kraljevic in the post over the objections of other members of the search committee, but went on to list Mr. Kraljevic’s experience in the industry. “I’ll tell you one thing, he is one out of five candidates, excellent candidate,” he said. Adding, ”He’s probably one of the leading candidates along with other people at Build Toronto.“

Asked about the departure of six of independent directors from the Build Toronto board, Mr. Ford said one left because of a conflict and another decided not to return for another term. “It is always good to refresh a board,” he said.

Other board members said the disruption at Build Toronto is partly the result of board terms coming to an end and the departure of its leader. It’s not clear that all of the board members who are leaving are doing so because of the CEO issue.

“Any time there is a search to put a new CEO in place, everybody wants to get their person in,” said Councillor Michael Thompson, a member of the Build Toronto board who is not a member of the search committee.

Mr. Thompson stressed no one has been chosen for the CEO post. He said the job is difficult to fill because it requires industry experience as well as an ability to balance the need to increase returns on land sales with the desires of councillors and local residents. The agency cannot just look to get the highest dollar, it also needs to leverage the sale of land to create city-building opportunities, he said.

For that reason, he said a “top dog,” from the industry may not be an appropriate choice. “We have to figure a way forward,” Mr. Thompson said. “There is a huge balancing act.”

A list of new directors is expected to go to city council at its meeting next week. Two of the independent directors who are leaving have completed their four-year terms and have decided not to serve again.

Until the new directors are in place, the board will not pick a new CEO, said several directors, who confirmed Mr. Kraljevic is a candidate.

Even without an appointment, the shortlisting of Mr. Kraljevic is raising alarm bells with some councillors because of the role the Toronto Port Lands played in Mr. Ford’s efforts to take control of development in the eastern harbour from Waterfront Toronto.

That plan, which Mr. Ford mused could include a Ferris wheel and megamall, would have shifted control of the city land to Toronto Port Lands, from Waterfront Toronto, an agency controlled by three levels of government.

Councillor Paula Fletcher, who led the fight against Mr. Ford’s Port Lands vision, worries with his handpicked leader in charge of Build Toronto, the battle over development on the waterfront could begin again.

“I think we could have a collision course here and it really makes me concerned,” Ms. Fletcher said.

Mr. Thompson said whoever becomes the new leader of Build Toronto will need a range of skills beyond real-estate experience. “The job has changed,” he said.

An unelected Premier just got rid of the best head of the OLGC ever (who worked for free) and the ENTIRE board resigned, but this bothers you so much more eh?

What a pathetic double standard.

Ford is a moron, but his hard core critics are just as dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back