199     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe people are looking in the wrong direction talking about Rob Ford's possible crack addiction. It is more likely that he is using crack as an enhancement of his alcohol intoxication. He probably does not have a strong desire to smoke crack while sober. After becoming drunk, his decision making would be impaired and the high of crack would be more enjoyable with less anxiety. I believe the quotes about him being incoherent and slurring his words fit that type of crack smoking. I would guess when he wakes up the absolute last thing on his mind is smoking more crack. He is probably experiencing intense hangover/negative cocaine residual effects and would be in great stress and extremely shameful of the night before. This worry stays on the mind and drinking alcohol is often a way to escape this mental pain. Once intoxicated again on alcohol, any negative previous experience with crack disappears from memory and smoking crack is once again something to make the drunk buzz fell more intense. I believe alcohol is the key to his substance abuse issues, and not crack. He desperately needs help from a professional.

after years of lurking on the building boards and a couple weeks following this thread in particular, the above is the post that finally got me to register. i think this post is exactly correct, definitely the way that most cocaine users i know (and me, in my younger days) operate. you start with a few drinks, then press on, then hit binge/blackout level, then come the other stupefiers, sometimes to keep it going, sometimes to amplify the good times. i could never imagine myself using cocaine at noon on a tuesday the way an addict would, but i could easily imagine myself going ahead and doing a couple lines with the crowd if it were 3am saturday after like 12-15 drinks. the fact that he's onto crack or meth really speaks more to the mayor's culture and upbringing out in etobicoke, than to an addiction issue, which is lost on people in toronto proper where these drugs are pretty rare/unfathomable among people of his age and income cohort.

my guess is that he's totally not an addict, but that he's definitely a hardcore alcoholic.

People in Toronto have drink and drug problems too, just like in Etobicoke or anywhere else.

On Renata, it keep occurring to me that perhaps she may have mental health issues. She's kept out of sight, the domestic problems could stem from her (it's certainly not always the man) and it could explain inconsistencies in her story when the cops were called, hospitalizations, mom and dad looking after the kids - just saying, it's been floating in the back of my mind for a while now since this discussion started.

People in Toronto have drink and drug problems too, just like in Etobicoke or anywhere else.

On Renata, it keep occurring to me that perhaps she may have mental health issues. She's kept out of sight, the domestic problems could stem from her (it's certainly not always the man) and it could explain inconsistencies in her story when the cops were called, hospitalizations, mom and dad looking after the kids - just saying, it's been floating in the back of my mind for a while now since this discussion started.

This strikes me as the most likely scenario. She may be bipolar, or depressive. This would account for her reclusiveness, and even for the fact that the house is a mess. Whether she was like that when they married or whether she discovered that Rob had a girl on the side and had substance abuse habits or whether he turned to drink and/or drugs for solace or to assuage his loneliness in a marriage with a depressive person, I won't speculate.

There is something serious, seriously wrongly if you can't tell this is an edited, manipulated video. No fun commenting on the obvious.

Anyways, I don't know about you, but as an average Joe I certainly don't get to know this many characters involved in the scene. Perhaps they really need to redefine the whole "just like me" persona.

AoD

There is something serious, seriously wrongly if you can't tell this is an edited, manipulated video. No fun commenting on the obvious.

Anyways, I don't know about you, but as an average Joe I certainly don't get to know this many characters involved in the scene. Perhaps they really need to redefine the whole "just like me" persona.

AoD
Of course I know it is an edited, manipulated video that is not ready for prime time but it illustrates that surprising things can be done without Hollywood studios and millions of dollars as suggested by many.

Not really, the whole point is that believable video editing is not as easy as one would think it is - and besides, at this point, the amount of circumstantial evidence in terms of relationships and his personal behaviour over the course of the past two weeks made the video itself a bit irrelevant. No one of reasonable mind would have acted the way he did if they are truly guiltless. Like, ask yourself this question - would you be inclined to believe in anyone who avoided questions for 7 days and then provided such a conditional answer it basically didn't answer the question?

AoD

Of course I know it is an edited, manipulated video that is not ready for prime time but it illustrates that surprising things can be done without Hollywood studios and millions of dollars as suggested by many.

Seriously?

There is nothing surprising about that video at all - it's a video that's very obviously fake.

Making something realistic is something else entirely.

Strange that some people think that Ford's weight issues are suddenly a re-election issue. Wasn't he overweight and out of shape in 2010?

It's more than mere weight issues--I and others have been observing how he really looks worse now than in 2010

loford03jpg.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

o-SARAH-THOMSON-ROB-FORD-570.jpg

Not really, the whole point is that believable video editing is not as easy as one would think it is - and besides, at this point, the amount of circumstantial evidence in terms of relationships and his personal behaviour over the course of the past two weeks made the video itself a bit irrelevant. No one of reasonable mind would have acted the way he did if they are truly guiltless. Like, ask yourself this question - would you be inclined to believe in anyone who avoided questions for 7 days and then provided such a conditional answer it basically didn't answer the question?

AoD
No, it illustrates that video editing is actually much easier than anyone thought. The all singing all dancing spoof offered goes well beyond the requirements of a static threesome and a pipe with a dubbed sound track.

The recent behaviour of Rob Ford and Co. is deplorable and not what you would expect to hear from innocent people but it is, as you state, irrelevant to the video's authenticity.

My post earlier today was prompted by the video spoof only and not regarding the presumed guilt of Rob Ford on any count.

No, it illustrates that video editing is actually much easier than anyone thought. The all singing all dancing spoof offered goes well beyond the requirements of a static threesome and a pipe with a dubbed sound track.

The recent behaviour of Rob Ford and Co. is deplorable and not what you would expect to hear from innocent people but it is, as you state, irrelevant to the video's authenticity.

My post earlier today was prompted by the video spoof only and not regarding the presumed guilt of Rob Ford on any count.

Spider, spider, spider…Please. Just. Stop.

Repeat after me: There are no, non, zero, nada, nein examples of the kind of hyper-realistic CGI that you keep musing about.

It. Is. Not. Possible. Computer science has been on this problem since the mid 1990's, and it remains UNSOLVED.

If you find ONE example of a truly realistic computer-generated moving human figure anywhere, in any medium—that is, realistic enough to fool the eye—Mitt Romney will give you 10,000 dollars.

And please, for god’s sake, bone up on the Uncanny Valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_ran...ups-and-downs-of-cinematic-cgi-inhumanity.php

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/394-will-we-ever-be-able-to-make-convincing-cgi-humans

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/03/7_films_that_got_stuck_in_the_uncanny_valley.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back