1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Thanos on the Toronto Star being readily available in Montreal, even spotted in Loblaws on the south shore.

It wasn't in every dep like the Globe and Mail but it's out there. On my last visit to Montreal, I was surprised to see copies in a few Starbucks. Copies could be purchased at Chapters, and some dep.
Well you folks obviously hang out in much more Anglo areas than I do. The Globe is easy to find in Francophone areas, in places I can't even find The Gazette. The next time I'm back in my old neighbourhood in Montreal (which is probably more Italian than anything, but more English than French), I check the 2 local depanneurs and report what I find. I can't say I've looked carefully for years (why bother when the Gazette is on the doorstep), except in Lanaudiere, where the Globe is very easy to find, and in the 30 years I've been frequenting it, I've never seen a Toronto Star.

Still Thanos point wasn't that the Star was readily available. It was just as easy to find as the Globe. And I don't for a second think that's true. Not in the depanneurs outside of downtown - or possibly west island (which isn't Montreal).

Last edited:
Hemingway and Callwood are who I wanted to write like for the longest time.

I guess the question is...are there any current Star writers who's work turns you on?

Hey...does anybody remember when you didn't necessarily have to be painfully stupid to be a right-winger in the Toronto media? I used to think George Jonas was pretty cool...and not just because he was married to Barbara Amiel when she was at her hottest (ok...mostly because of that).

But today's right-wingers are phobic of anything remotely intellectual, so instead of Barbara Amiel, we have Sue-Ann Levy.

And yet The Globe and Mail is actually printed in Montreal. It's a national paper. It's costs the same there that it does here. I bet your Star in Montreal doesn't cost the same it does here. And I'm betting your not finding it in Montreal-Est.

Well I would love to know how easily one can find any English newspaper anywhere east of St-Denis.

Well I would love to know how easily one can find any English newspaper anywhere east of St-Denis.
Um, never heard of Atlantic Canada? Plenty of English language newspapers there, including the Telegraph Journal from Saint John, NB. When I lived in Fredericton we'd have the Globe and Mail delivered to our house, as did many of the neighbours.

Commie ... where do you find wingnuts like this? Good grief, given how The Toronto Star was so anti-Miller, I just can't comprehent how stupid some right-wingers can be. Or are they white-wingers?

The hypocrisy is astounding......If Ford nation says the star is out to get Ford, they're paranoid racist conspiracy theorists, but then you continue to say that they were anti-Miller too.

People here have spent pages defending the Star and their journalistic integrity, except they messed up on Miller - but they did get it right with Ford????? Maybe it's both. The Star was doing their job both times, and Miller wasn't actually as good as most people here think.

Yes, the Star's very good, but they exaggerated Ford's mistakes on minor issues leading to people thinking they were out to get Ford. Obviously some of you think they did this with Miller as well. But Ford nation are idiots for bringing it up, yet you guys can say it's true for Miller and that's perfectly acceptable?

I've never seen it in a depanneur. I'm not disbelieving you, but...

Will you guys just stop it already? You're all being ridiculous.

Here's what we know: there's a video of Ford smoking something out of a glass pipe, and it's obvious now that enough people in-the-know are unhappy with Ford's handling of the mess that the video can't possibly be fake. Cut out the BS with where specifically you can or can't buy a specific paper, because it's completely irrelevant and ludicrous.

DOES he look sober? He looks like he's about to retch in most of those pictures. I also like how in the first one it looks like his trying to pull on the door marked "push".

Maybe it's the camera, but at least he looks like he has a healthier tone to his skin. The usual cherry red shine often has me worried he's going to drop dead on the spot. Could be a sign that he's trying to sober up... at least until this scandal goes away.

And the Globe has a piece on David Price:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-of-torontos-city-hall-storm/article12218380/

re: NP article

“This particular story has a little teeny grain of truth,” the source in the mayor’s office said. “The only truth is that the mayor’s office does get information from time to time. We have a moral and a legal obligation to pass this information on. We have passed on no information about a video. That is an out and out lie.”

On the resignations of Mr. Ransom and Mr. Christopoulos, “the writing was on the wall,” the source within Mayor Ford’s office said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-of-torontos-city-hall-storm/article12218380/

It's sounds more like a planned response to the original leaks than an actual "insider perspective". I found the implied incompetence quite interesting as well, given what the mayor himself said about the two individuals.

AoD

Last edited:
The NP article sounds like a bad attempt at damage control, as in "gee, let's get a "source" to talk to the one paper that might still be somewhat sympathetic to us". Brilliant communications strategy -- the loss of previous key communications personnel is "no big loss". Yup, that sounds like an experienced communications director carefully planning out a response. :rolleyes:

People are just ridiculous in North America. In most of Europe an accused person (no matter what proof against him) is not allowed to have his face shown in the media, until convicted. The "perp walk" the US police took Domenic Strauss Kahn on, was shocking to the French public. And in the end charges were dropped for lack of evidence.

You need cold hard evidence to convict, not circumstancial B.S..... a reporter saw him smoking crack in a video, doesn't cut it.

Yeah, but DSK is now completely irrelevant as a politician because of those claims (and the others that came after) when he should be the President of France instead of Hollande. He may not go to prison (although he still might), but I don't really care if they can convict Ford. I just want him to own up to his stupidity and get out of city hall.

The NP article sounds like a bad attempt at damage control, as in "gee, let's get a "source" to talk to the one paper that might still be somewhat sympathetic to us". Brilliant communications strategy -- the loss of previous key communications personnel is "no big loss". Yup, that sounds like an experienced communications director carefully planning out a response. :rolleyes:

I think it's our first taste of the new 21-year old "communications director" saying exactly what he is told to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back