1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 939     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
For someone who is so insistent on "the truth" and "facts", what evidence do you offer to support your claim of distortion?

Not a claim my friend. Merely a possibility. And enough of one to suspend judgment on this issue until further evidence is revealed.

For anyone to suggest thst The Star wouldn't throw a parade down Yonge Street if the mayor is proven to be a hard drug user is an indication of their utterly distorted perception of local media. They have had a giant hate on for this guy from Day 0.

If anybody saw Tron: Legacy, they should remember that unconvincing fake young Jeff Bridges and realize that replicating a familiar person talking and acting naturally can't be done yet. It can almost be done if they keep their mouths shut, but once they start talking the illusion is broken.

I could imagine fake Bridges coming off well enough on a 4 inch screen at 2 feet away, shot handheld. Not to say that the video was faked, but everyone saying it couldn't have been is participating in a preferential reality.

So, lots of sound and fury today, most of it signifyings nothing. Kind of like a filler episode of Dynasty or The Sopranos before the big reveal near the end. Hopefully tomorrow yields some meaningful plot points and less of the circular he said/she said rantings. But it's tough to impress today's news hardened souls--they can always find their POV reflected somewhere in the media/internet spectrum. Even if the video is released, it likely won't convince the FN crowd who have all sorts of excuses now to justify the "it's a fake" claims.

I fear for the day when videos CAN be easily faked by basement amateurs. (Maybe 10 to 20 years from now) It'll be impossible to prove anything then.

CN Tower:

Not a claim my friend. Merely a possibility. And enough of one to suspend judgment on this issue until further evidence is revealed.

I don't believe and never said they fabricated anything. They probably did however distort/embellish/contour/bend the truth to suit their respective agendas.

Well, unless my English is utterly off, the language you have used is far more definitive than anything in the Star about this case. I have to ask again - how did you know "the truth"?

For anyone to suggest thst The Star wouldn't throw a parade down Yonge Street if the mayor is proven to be a hard drug user is an indication of their utterly distorted perception of local media. They have had a giant hate on for this guy from Day 0.

That wasn't your claim - it was:

The Star is not reputable when it comes to political matters. They never have been. Have you never heard them called The 'Red' Star?

How was it not reputable? So it was reputable except for Rob Ford? You certainly didn't put in any limiters then. Was the story about the DUI not reputable? Was the ACC affair not reputable?

AoD

Last edited:
I'm calling absolute and complete bullshit here. That statement is so totally wrong, that I'm absolutely shocked that anyone would dare attempt such a mistruth.

The Globe is a national paper. It's available in many corner stores in Montreal. Even pre-Internet, you'd have to go find a speciality newsagent who'd carry the Star. I'm well aware of this as I used to live in Montreal, and would have to find the Star when I was job-hunting ... it required me to head downtown. I'm still aware of it as even these days it's easier to find The Globe once you get away from the Anglo sections of Lanaudiere than it is the Gazette, let alone The Star, which I've never once seen.

Not only is the Globe infinitely easier to find in Montreal, it's also available for home delivery (for the same price as in Toronto according to their website - https://customer.globeandmail.ca/HD/Start.aspx - though their taxes are higher). To get the Star home-delivered in Toronto, you have to go to a speciality service. Personally I've never seen it, and it's expensive.

Furthermore, the Globe actually prints the newspaper in Montreal (and has done so for decades). The Toronto Star isn't printed in Montreal.

Well the fact that I used to live in Montreal and the Star has always been my newspaper and never had a problem getting it and the fact that when I go down one weekend a month to visit my parents and again I always have no problem getting it will lead me to believe that it is available. Though, it could always be that the depanneurs I visit are selling fakes.

If anybody saw Tron: Legacy, they should remember that unconvincing fake young Jeff Bridges and realize that replicating a familiar person talking and acting naturally can't be done yet. It can almost be done if they keep their mouths shut, but once they start talking the illusion is broken.
Yeah, Tron Legacy is another one that just wasn't quite convincing, despite tens of millions of dollars and the best special effects teams in Hollywood. They can do convincing CGI of scenery, explosions, and King Kong, but a convincing human face is a whole different ballgame. The human face is extremely complicated and it's what we're the most familiar with. It's what millions of years of evolution has hard wired us to recognize. Not something some crack dealers could ever hope to pull off.

Another example is the Mythbusters episode where they created latex masks of each other. As soon as there was any motion or speaking he jig was up.

Well the fact that I used to live in Montreal and the Star has always been my newspaper and never had a problem getting it and the fact that when I go down one weekend a month to visit my parents and again I always have no problem getting it will lead me to believe that it is available. Though, it could always be that the depanneurs I visit are selling fakes.
lol

How did you know it was the Star and not the Gazette in a Star cover? It could have been anything in that newsstand. Obviously the depanneurs have an agenda and are distorting the truth.

What???
Seriously what planet did you come from?
Of course the media does this in Europe.

Oh really? The French media show the faces of people accused of serious crimes before they have been convicted? And I don't know what I'm talking about?

They actually have a law in France not allowing suspects faces to be published until they are convicted. And it is not the only country in Europe like this.

I spoke with a Ford voter today. We had a friendly discussion. He said he wouldn't vote for him again but said "they're all crooks". I offered David Miller as an example of a clean politician. You can disagree with his policies all you like, but one thing about Miller is that he was never involved in any scandal nor could he ever be accused of taking bribes or misappropriating city funds or services for his own personal use. Then my friend insisted that Miller had taken envelopes of cash from business partners of his. I know Miller well and don't believe this to be true so how do these rumors get taken as fact?

I've spoken to quite a few Ford supporters who have some absolutely ridiculous stories about Miller and his supposed corruption (including the idea he blew the city budget on gold and furniture for his office) - none of them true.

At this point, any real Ford supporter you'll meet is supporting him based on emotion and ideology - facts aren't part of the equation.

Yeah, Tron Legacy is another one that just wasn't quite convincing, despite tens of millions of dollars and the best special effects teams in Hollywood. They can do convincing CGI of scenery, explosions, and King Kong, but a convincing human face is a whole different ballgame. The human face is extremely complicated and it's what we're the most familiar with. It's what millions of years of evolution has hard wired us to recognize. Not something some crack dealers could ever hope to pull off.

Another example is the Mythbusters episode where they created latex masks of each other. As soon as there was any motion or speaking he jig was up.

Just on that topic, the painter Frans Hals is considered the master when it comes to candid human expressions, especially laughter and smiles. Even hundreds of years later, very few artists attempt such portraits because it's just too hard to get right. So of course there's no way to do so digitally, never mind candid expressions in motion.

Oh really? The French media show the faces of people accused of serious crimes before they have been convicted? And I don't know what I'm talking about?

They actually have a law in France not allowing suspects faces to be published until they are convicted. And it is not the only country in Europe like this.

What other countries? I'm curious and i'll research this. I know Greece and Germany doesn't. And what would constitute a serious crime?
Also, it seems that Le Figaro and Le Monde have pictures of Tony Meilhon even though he hasn't been convicted. Go figure huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back