1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funding campaign (linked below) is starting to pick up speed. I have watched it go up $1000 in 50-100 dollar increments over the span of the last 10 minutes. Just keep hitting refresh and smile.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rob-ford-crackstarter

From the looks of it, if the story can stay in the spotlight for a few days, and this IndieGoGo campaign goes viral then Gawker will get the $200K soon. It's been picking up speed. It just went up $500 in the last 5 minutes. Now I wonder if the other campaigns will just use their raised money to pool in with the Gawker campaign which is undoubtedly the official one.

Thank god we like in Canada where freedom of the press is enshrined in our beloved Constitution.

In many other parts of the world the freedom to print anything you like about anything you want about anybody is not enshrined. In those barbaric countries little things like facts, innocent until proven guilty, and one's right to confront their accusers in a court of law are such a nuisance when a nice juicy paper selling article is the offering. Those rights are just soooooo 20th century.

As for the Province newspaper trying to raise $100k for the Ford video is absolutely incorrect. The money is actually for a new video that has surfaced that shows Christy Clark giving Adrian Dix oral sex in exchange for his willingness to "blow" the election. Both, it seems have egg on their face although clearly some of that substance on Christy's face is questionable. I know this for a fact because somebody saw a video of somebody who looks like somebody with somebody else.

The Toronto Star has sunk to new lows and for them that is no small feat. Not that this is at all unexpected as little things like journalistic integrity have never stood in the way of the Star when selling papers is on the line.

Tell me all you Ford haters out there..........what is going to happen if the video turns out to be false? Ford, love him or hate him, will be forever referred to as a coke addict. Most of you are too young to remember the infamous case of a nurse in the 1970s in Kingston. She was accused of a series of murders in a hospital. She sunk into a deep depression, her career was destroyed, her father had a heart attack and died due to the stress of the media and courts yet he had no heart troubles before the witch hunt began, and she will always have to deal with the stigma of being a murdering nurse. Turns out, she was completely innocent, she got a huge settlement but the damage was done.

What happens in a week if that video turns out to be true.............well kids that too is irrelevant and I mean COMPLETELY irrelevant. Unless he admits to the crime, despite what The Star says, he is innocent until proven guilty. Has The Star been granted divine authority by the almighty to be both judge and jury or for that matter has the general public? If the public feels he is guilty does that make it so and to hell with that little concept of justice?

I hope that all of you, Torontonians in general, and The Star have never bitched about this new US style justice you are emulating...................it's called Guantanamo 101.

From the looks of it, if the story can stay in the spotlight for a few days, and this IndieGoGo campaign goes viral then Gawker will get the $200K soon. It's been picking up speed. It just went up $500 in the last 5 minutes. Now I wonder if the other campaigns will just use their raised money to pool in with the Gawker campaign which is undoubtedly the official one.

A paper called the province also started a campaign to raise funds.

As much as I detest Rob Ford, I cannot get too excited about this and I urge everyone to exercise caution.

All we have so far is an anecdotal account of a video (with no duplicates!) that may not still exist.

We also have a mayor who has managed to dodge punishment mainly because his enemies pounced when the evidence they had was circumstantial or so weak that it could be thrown out in appeal.

And speaking about "appeal", don't underestimate how dogged and fanatical the remaining 25% of Torontonians who represent his fanbase are. These people will not suddenly jump ship even if he did smoke crack with known criminals and was caught saying overtly homophobic, racist and derogatory slurs. These people don't vote based on their principles; they vote because they slavishly adhere to a cult of personality. It's like cheering for a sports team that you know sucks and plays dirty. You do it because you are a fan. He is also a man that would probably not resign under any circumstance.

I also think there is a significant share of the population - perhaps 50-60% - who won't be compelled to vote in the next municipal election no matter what Rob Ford does. In fact, I think this whole disaster will make them wash their hands of municipal politics even more.

We cannot rely on Rob Ford to be unseated by the court of popular opinion. We have to rely on Rob Ford being unseated by the court of law, and right now the evidence that we have is only slightly more credible than an 8 mm tape of Bigfoot.

Last edited:
Thank god we like in Canada where freedom of the press is enshrined in our beloved Constitution.

I hope that all of you, Torontonians in general, and The Star have never bitched about this new US style justice you are emulating...................it's called Guantanamo 101.

So go donate on the site so we can all see the video and judge for ourselves. It's very damaging to Ford's career so lets see the tape and we can confirm it's veracity ourselves - I would assume gawker would also test it for any doctoring as well. If it's fake this will fade away quickly and vindicate Ford - and probably gain him supporters. And if it isn't........

In many other parts of the world the freedom to print anything you like about anything you want about anybody is not enshrined. In those barbaric countries little things like facts, innocent until proven guilty, and one's right to confront their accusers in a court of law are such a nuisance when a nice juicy paper selling article is the offering. Those rights are just soooooo 20th century.

As for the Province newspaper trying to raise $100k for the Ford video is absolutely incorrect. The money is actually for a new video that has surfaced that shows Christy Clark giving Adrian Dix oral sex in exchange for his willingness to "blow" the election. Both, it seems have egg on their face although clearly some of that substance on Christy's face is questionable. I know this for a fact because somebody saw a video of somebody who looks like somebody with somebody else.

The Toronto Star has sunk to new lows and for them that is no small feat. Not that this is at all unexpected as little things like journalistic integrity have never stood in the way of the Star when selling papers is on the line.

Tell me all you Ford haters out there..........what is going to happen if the video turns out to be false? Ford, love him or hate him, will be forever referred to as a coke addict. Most of you are too young to remember the infamous case of a nurse in the 1970s in Kingston. She was accused of a series of murders in a hospital. She sunk into a deep depression, her career was destroyed, her father had a heart attack and died due to the stress of the media and courts yet he had no heart troubles before the witch hunt began, and she will always have to deal with the stigma of being a murdering nurse. Turns out, she was completely innocent, she got a huge settlement but the damage was done.

What happens in a week if that video turns out to be true.............well kids that too is irrelevant and I mean COMPLETELY irrelevant. Unless he admits to the crime, despite what The Star says, he is innocent until proven guilty. Has The Star been granted divine authority by the almighty to be both judge and jury or for that matter has the general public? If the public feels he is guilty does that make it so and to hell with that little concept of justice?

You're confusing a lot of different issues in this word-salad of a post. Not sure what "innocent until proven guilty" has to do with anything. That's a concept in criminal law. No criminal charges have been laid against Ford.

Further this Supreme Court of Canada case from 2009 specifically outlines the test for defamation. Journalists can publish potentially defamatory information, even if it is untrue, on the basis that (1) the matter about which the statement was made was one of public interest, and (2) that the person making the claim acted responsibly and diligently to check the reliability of their sources and attempted to get the other side of the story (which the Star did by contacting Ford's staff).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back