305     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mammo is so concerned about homelessness, then why didn't he anything about it?

From October 2013

Rob Ford and the disappearing homelessness task force

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti fails to deliver task force on homelessness: Editorial

I should amend that, as I was just agreeing with the general idea that the crack scandal did have the effect of impeding some city business. Of course, Ford was stripped of his powers the next month and Norm Kelly managed to run the city.

Today's PSA

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 1.56.48 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 1.56.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 1.56.48 PM.png
    494.6 KB · Views: 496
I should amend that, as I was just agreeing with the general idea that the crack scandal did have the effect of impeding some city business. Of course, Ford was stripped of his powers the next month and Norm Kelly managed to run the city.
Hope you don't think I was poking at you. My question was more rhetorical, cause I know the answer....Mammo's an ass

Had it out with Sawision on twitter once. Complete disconnect from reality.

[edit: Against my better judgement, I just looked up his website. the quality was almost Fordlike, including this hilariously bad photoshop.]

Ahahaha! All part of his claim that there is no transit whatsoever - none! - in Liberty Village, and there will be none until HE personally extends Front St. But Pantalone is holding things up, of course.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 11m11 minutes ago
Rob Ford still demanding every vote is a recorded vote

It's amazing how much of a time suck that is.

Not sure I understand what the issue is with not recording how everyone votes?

I don't really have an problem with it on actual motions, but Ford asks for it on every vote. Including to accept the agenda and all the administrative stuff. Big waste of time.

Not sure I understand what the issue is with not recording how everyone votes?

See this post:

I have the responsibility of chairing a resident-owned corporation that governs a small apartment building in the city -- sort of condo, but under a different Ontario statute. I use Cannon's Rules of Order, and have studied it thoroughly, along with our own bylaws and the applicable statute. Most votes in most democratic assemblies are taken by show of hands. It's an... "efficiency" ... that allows the Chair to call the result of a vote quickly. (It is the Chair's responsibility to call for votes and to assess and announce the outcomes. Many votes are inconsequential or pro-forma -- adopting minutes, approving financial reports, reappointing the auditor, acknowledging and thanking contributors, etc. -- the outcome of a show of hands is immediately obvious to all in the room, and so the business of the meeting can progress quickly.) The point of a recorded vote (or a "counted ballot" in my building's case) is to allow the Chair (or City Council Speaker) to make a definitive call on the result of a vote that was not immediately obvious from a show of hands. Under Cannon's Rules, any member can request a counted ballot, but the decision on whether to call a counted ballot is left to the Chair -- although that decision can be challenged by any dissatisfied member.

Our City Council's Rules state that any member can call for a counted ballot, and the Speaker has no discretion on whether to allow it. This is the loophole that Former Mayor AssClown is taking advantage of. (The most salient criticism came from the new Mayor, who said he did not know what point RoFo was trying to make.)

ROFO called incessantly for recorded votes on motions as inconsequential as extending the speaking time of a councillor for five more minutes. Each show of hands takes about 10 to 15 seconds; each recorded vote takes four to eight times as long. Councillors' salaries, staff time, and office expenses all contribute to the cost of the fourfold to eightfold increase in costs required by unnecessary recorded votes. Rob Ford wasted huge amounts of our money on these stupid, unnecessary procedural follies. Gravy lives the high life in Ward 2.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/14268-Rob-Ford-s-Toronto/page6653

In other words, it's inefficient when indiscriminately used - and in this case, it's just posturing.

I thought it was Bruno Bellissimo who got the not-so-happy meal?

My mistake, it's been such a long time since those happy, carefree days.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to change the rules then. Let the speaker decide whether to allow this recorded vote nonsense.

Bad idea - recall Nunzi under Fraud. I think certain classes of votes (budgetary, legal) should always be recorded; others (e.g. housekeeping ones) never.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back