News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is Tory doing?

it was a machiavellian power play, i think, with kouvalis written all over it. by pulling out (and with soks and doug out, too) he could totally isolate chow. that would force her to respond and either pull out as well, or stand on stage alone. either way, he would be dictating the terms, forcing her hand, cheapening the debate, and so on.

seems like it might be backfiring on him - chow was quite content to turn it from a debate into a town hall, and she's strong in that format.

man, the books they're going to write about this whole thing some day. . .

It's nice that Rob is running for his old ward seat so that all the non-Toronto news outlets can continue to run their "How Fricking Stupid Are They In That City?" stories.

It really is sad. I really hope the people in Ward 2 regret it if Rob wins and is too sick to do his job...

How much of the remaining FNation is viable to do that though? I'm serious here since you raise a very excellent, and quite terrifying point. I admit from my own limited and biased viewpoint, I saw most moderates who tentatively supported Ford leaving FN a long while ago. Then again even I know sometimes it's not about numbers alone, but the concentration of zealotry. The provincial Liberals currently have a majority, and it is very possible if the provincial Libs treat that as a free pass, a backlash can set up favorable conditions for Ford Nation Provincial Edition to possibly happen.

Let's remember how many Ford Nationals do *not* live in Toronto--and that the Fords have been openly making overtures to them, whether through Ford Fest invites or Vaughan-style fundraisers...

Last edited:
Look to the Green Party federally. They are a party of 1 in the House of Commons. All FN has to do is parachute candidates into every district. Hell...its easier than that. Ford is in selfies all over Canada and North America. His coverage and publicity in the U.S. and Canada puts them into a position of actually having their own party....with interested followers in many parts of this province already.

When they throw a party..a couple of thousand show up. When you go on the intertubes you'll see all sorts of people vowing their support of Ford eventhough they can't vote in our election. Make no mistake...this is real.

I never thought a city would be stupid enough to elect a bumblefuck like Ford as councillor...let alone as mayor.

And in the Fords' case, I've been repeatedly invoking the Aussie case of Pauline Hanson's One Nation party, remember--same kind of "proud to be stoopid" demo...

What I'm really hoping is that Doug tanks his mayoral campaign so thoroughly (as in getting fewer votes than Sketchy the Clown) that a run at the PC party leadership won't even be a possibility. On the other hand, watching him get resoundingly trounced a second time in that leadership contest would probably make me very, very happy.

Maybe not Sketchy-level, but think of John Nunziata's 5% or so in the 2003 race as a barometer.

it was a machiavellian power play, i think, with kouvalis written all over it. by pulling out (and with soks and doug out, too) he could totally isolate chow. that would force her to respond and either pull out as well, or stand on stage alone. either way, he would be dictating the terms, forcing her hand, cheapening the debate, and so on.

That is a risky move; some undecideds I know are not impressed with him right now. He could give a down-and-out Chow an opening here.... but he could also just step back into stride at his next big next big debate. I think that would be the next debate Doug participates in.

I think some of you guys are over-reacting to Tory skipping a few debates. It's still too early. Keep in mind that there are still more than 30 debates left between now and election day in 6 weeks, which is an awful lot. Skipping a few isn't going to make much of a difference, especially since we haven't entered the final, intense push. The average voters probably aren't going to start paying full attention until the last 2 weeks or so, by which time the three big candidates will come out blazing with everything they have.

Doug puts a stick in John Tory’s carriage wheels, even if (when) he loses.

Rob dropping out delivers some right-wing voters to Tory, although some will just stay home.

With Doug in the race, it keeps FN and FU votes away from Tory.

If Doug is not seen as a threat, there’s more media scrutiny of Tory. Who and what does he really represent? Under that pressure, some soft Tory voters will defect to Chow.

Given the 3-way numbers we’ve seen, including the Keyes Constant and fringe candidate support, if Olivia breaks 30% she turns the tables.

Doug says you’re welcome. (He's not worried about those elitist debates either.)

Jonathan Goldsbie ‏@goldsbie 1m
According to a release from the Chow campaign, Tory has pulled out of the @enzodimatteo-moderated TTC Riders debate at 5:00.

Tory pulling out of a debate? The Fordites will be all over that.

Cynthia Mulligan ‏@CityCynthia 12s
John Tory pulls out of 3 debates including one at 5 today, says has entered "new phase of campaign". Total mayoral debates this wk #topoli

Probably only had canned responses for Rob, that and Chow actually can answer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back