News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 705     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading Daniel Dale's tweets from today. Two observations:

1). Tory may be starting down the road of imploding thanks to cancelling 2 debates and organizers are rightfully pissed
2). Chow is kicking Tory's butt at the moment (except for the faith based comment)

Earlier on he seemed to politely talk down to her as if she didn't understand what the question was or what he was saving. I do think she's done better tonight than at most debates.

Actually, I thinks that she's gaining steam as the debates go on.

I agree with ya...but I'm only strategizing from I see. Ford Nation echoes the Reform party. They had 1 sitting member in 1989. By 2006, they formed government. Doug is 48....Rob is 45....

If FN becomes the equivalent of the Green Party (whether provincially or federally), then yeah I'm probably less worried. I'm not anti environment anymore than I'm pro pollution, but many in the Greens to me are basically loony fringe. Like "fluoridation of tap water is mind control" loony fringe. Their power is extremely limited at that level, and aside from that one time Elizabeth May was in the 2008 federal debates, they haven't got anything that tangible to show that I've seen.

If FN can replicate what the Reform party did to the PCs, then yeah that would definitely be something. I think for that to happen though things will have to become really bad\even worse. FoFam brand of populism can thrive when the system is rotten and people feel a despair, mistrust, and resentment towards an institution\politicians they see helping itself vs the people. I think this is one of the unspoken side of the 'Gravy' rant that should not be so easily dismissed as extremist rantings. Yes Fofam are hypocrites considering their trouble understanding conflict of interests concepts, and from their actions so far the only people Fofam is interested in helping seems to be Fofam themselves.

In a healthy system, Rofo would not last more than one term as councilor. Rob and Thug is a symptom of a larger rot and disease IMO. The public wave they rode into office however did not form in a vacuum.

This is fun

[h=1]Councillors feud over roadworks[/h] [h=2]In a bizarre 45 minutes of political farce yesterday, long-feuding city councillors Rob Ford and Giorgio Mammoliti managed to find a way to trade insults at the site of a road construction project they both support.[/h]
Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.16.09 PM.png

By: Daniel Dale STAFF REPORTER, Published on Wed Aug 08 2007

In a bizarre 45 minutes of political farce yesterday, long-feuding city councillors Rob Ford and Giorgio Mammoliti managed to find a way to trade insults at the site of a road construction project they both support.

In summary: Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) accused Mammoliti (Ward 7, York West) of being an unresponsive councillor, Mammoliti accused Ford of being a serial meddler in other councillors' affairs, Ford accused Mammoliti of organizing an anti-Ford protest, and Mammoliti accused Ford of organizing opposition to a Mammoliti-backed road resurfacing Ford says he actually likes.

This, all, while Ford stood, laughing and shrugging, at the closed-for-construction intersection in Mammoliti's ward – during a 50-person "Stay In Your Ward, Rob Ford" demonstration.

The pair never actually came in direct contact during the protest but exchanged barbs as they spoke to reporters separately.

The strange drama – which played out before a half-dozen bemused road workers – began around 11 a.m., when Ford arrived at Weston Rd. and Sheppard Ave. He was greeted by chanting, sign-carrying protesters.

"We didn't elect you," some yelled. "Go home, Rob Ford!"

"He came from another ward to interfere with our project here," said Mammoliti constituent Lou Santonato, who said he was the protest's organizer.

"I understood that, through his office, a news release was sent out that there was going to be a protest against the project going on here, and the rest of us heard about it. I organized the gathering here to express our views."

Ford, surrounded by booing protesters on the Weston Rd. sidewalk, said he has never opposed the project, never attempted to organize a meeting for its opponents.

He said he sent out neither a news release nor the flyers some protesters said they have received at their homes.
Ford said he thinks the project is "great."

He came to the closed intersection, he said,
merely to "see what the situation is" at the request of three dissatisfied Mammoliti constituents who contacted him.

"Three people called me last week, they said meet me out here. So I'm meeting them out here! I didn't do anything wrong. I'll go to Scarborough, I'll go to downtown. I'll talk to any taxpayer. I'll go anywhere at any time."

Ford said Mammoliti, whose ward is adjacent to his, was the real protest organizer.
"No, the man from the moon did it. Of course he did it! C'mon," Ford said.

Hogwash, Mammoliti said after Ford drove away.
"How could that have happened? I just found out about it this morning. I was on vacation last week."

Mammoliti said Ford is a chronic ward-meddler who should stick to his own turf.
"It's not like this is the first time he's done it," he said.
"Talk to any councillor. They'll tell you. Talk to Howard Moscoe. Talk to Frances Nunziata. Talk to any of the local councillors (in whose wards) he has tried to intervene."

Ford and Mammoliti have battled for years. In 2002, Mammoliti, who is of Italian heritage, accused Ford of calling him a "Gino boy" during a council debate.

Last year, Mammoliti complained at council that Ford was using office space in an Etobicoke municipal building without paying for it.
And earlier this year, Mammoliti asked the city's integrity commissioner to examine whether Ford, who habitually reports using fewer than $10 of his $53,000 annual expenses budget, has breached city rules by buying supplies and throwing parties for constituents on his own dime.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.16.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.16.09 PM.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 828
Nah. If they pull that new party stunt, the members they would get from the current PCPO would be the Randy Hillier-types. They'd likely split the vote and we'd have Liberals forever. Kind of a reverse Alberta. As far as leadership ambitions, I agree with Pud99 that the behind the scenes machinations re: a DOFOJr. run for PCPO leader would be put down real quick. Also, a fun fact to remember: Kouvalis and Ciano are already in circling jackal mode in that particular arena. So Doug's 'bloodbath' might come from an entirely different quarter than the muni game already afoot.

For sure, I agree as well that if Doug sincerely thinks he has a shot at being the party leader of the provincial Tories now, he must be having more than a few 'pops' in the basement. When any organization reaches a certain size and power, they tend to have gatekeepers. Doug seems to think because he's a CEO of Deco, that automagically transfers over to him being CEO of anything else he wants. The Tories have their share of Randy Hillier types, but I do notice they rarely become party leaders.

Actually you know what, I kind of want to see Thug making a serious bid to claim the provincial Tories throne after Oct. Maybe even Difo would come out and give a scolding to the provincial PCs, "why are you boys not letting Doug here have a turn?!"

Tory took off after the debate without talking to reporters. I don't know why he is bailing on these debates after saying he'd be there, he looks really bad for doing it.

Tory took off after the debate without talking to reporters. I don't know why he is bailing on these debates after saying he'd be there, he looks really bad for doing it.

Hardly anyone is paying close enough attention to care, but I wonder what his reasoning is.

Jude MacDonald ‏@judemacdonald 5m

I've been informed the City Manager will write all members of Council as a result of the Fords' use of City Hall for campaign. #TOpoli

Nobody. She basically did just an open chat.

They turned it into a Q & A rather than a debate, and that's what she's agreed to do at tomorrow's seniors' "debate-without-Tory". A smart move; she won't look silly debating the fringe candidates, but will be the only serious contender who cares enough to meet that particular demographic. And she handles herself well in these solo situations.

Jude MacDonald
@judemacdonald
I've been informed the City Manager will write all members of Council as a result of the Fords' use of City Hall for campaign. #TOpoli

Some progress I suppose.

It seems I was beaten to the punch...

Last edited:
I guess you were never subjected to "Struwwelpeter: Merry Stories and Funny Pictures by Heinrich Hoffman, 19th century German psychiatrist? The Story of Little Suck-a-Thumb gave me nightmares: http://www.edcourtenay.co.uk/musings-of-an-idiot/2009/08/05/TheStoryOfLittleSuckaThumb
I think it was the head-shaped keystone and capitals; the eyes follow...:eek:

Cautionary tales for young minds.

OMG -- Struwwelpeter!! My grandmother used to read those to me. The little girl who played with matches, going up in flames; the Blackamoor (if RoFo had been read to in a decent childhood, he'd use that word rather than n-----. To all UTers, and you especially fishie, if you EVER have a chance to see the musical of Struwwelpeter, move heaven and earth to see it. It is HILARIOUS and so creative. It came to the Wintergarden many years ago, and I still get occasional spasms in my laugh-muscles. For Suck-a-Thumb, start at 3:15-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVSp-fYUQc

Last edited:
Given Tory's poor showing and Chow's performance, how many people watched that debate? I imagine a lot of people followed it via Twitter.

Hardly anyone is paying close enough attention to care, but I wonder what his reasoning is.

He is turning into the Fords right before our eyes. This has not been smart behaviour with him today. I am glad the groups organizing the debates flipped out, they put all that work into that debate and within a week they lose Soknacki, RoFo and then with under 3 hours notice Tory bails and it isn't an emergency AND he goes to one a couple of hours later. Running from the media makes him look like a chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back