1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 660     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article by Joe Fiorito:
I wish Ford well enough: Fiorito
Rob Ford’s sickbed declaration is characteristic of the man – it is riddled with falsehoods and exaggeration.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/09/15/i_wish_ford_well_enough_fiorito.html

One commenter to that article sums it up well:
In all upcoming debates, your article should be posted in a prominent place or at least be published weekly on the Star's front page! It articulates what the Ford's really stand for.
As for Rob having serious GI issues, I have no doubt. Whether it's cancer or not, we don't officially know yet. And I'm quite sure that his other issues do indeed complicate treatment. (as does his personality and his family).

I'd imagine so. They have to make an incision in your belly, regardless of what they're taking out. When my wife had her colon surgery, the docs were able to do it with "keyhole" techniques. Even then, she was in hospital for about 10 days afterward. When she was sent home, she was told to take it very easy for the next 10 weeks — don't lift anything more than 10 pounds, stay off your bike etc. But her energy levels came back to more or less normal after about three weeks. Given his size, I don't think Rob is a candidate for keyhole surgery, so his recovery might be longer. Still, I think he'd be feeling strong enough to return phone calls and pose for selfies at the mall after a few weeks. And that's what it's all about for Rob.

A friend who is a surgeon does a lot of laparoscopic procedures, including for various forms of cancer. He tells me that it is harder to use so-called keyholes on grossly overweight patients, but nonetheless it is done if it can be, because there are so many benefits to avoiding an open incision whenever that is reasonably do-able (which it may not be if a mass is very large or if it is hard to tell where a mass extends to without 'going in for a real look around').

Almost off topic, but since this is officially a medicine and law thread now I will mention that my spouse, who is an anaesthesiologist, gets a premium payment from OHIP for any case where the patient's BMI is 40 or more. She tells me it takes more effort to control the flow, wear-off time, etc. of the injected and inhaled drugs used in anaesthesia if a patient is grossly overweight.

Last edited:
The Twitter account Elect Doug Ford 2014@ElectDougFord is not a parody (or at least there are no signs of that so far). The web site www.electdougford.com is - altho' perhaps parody is not the correct term; what is does is randomly display offensive, stupid, etc. statements that Doug actually has made. Especially when both are mentioned in the same post, it is easy to get them mixed up.

Last edited:
Yes it is strange, and wildly out of character, that rob has not posted pics of himself in his hospital bed, pouring over "important papers", or making phone calls. And not one selfie with a nurse, doctor, etc.? Unlike when he was in hospital for "asthma" related problems in August, 2012:

Very good point, inyyz. Maybe he really is sick!

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 9s
Jeff Silverstein, Rob Ford's campaign spokesperson, says he will assume that role for Doug Ford. Says no statements/events today.

What about any other health issues he might have? That could complicate the surgery....

My wife and I have talked about this. Neither of us are medical types, but from her experience, she reckons Rob will be a challenging case for his surgeons. His size is a major issue. There's also his reported asthma problem. If he has high blood pressure, that's another issue. If he's been taking other drugs, recreational or prescription, that could make the job more difficult for the anesthesiologist.

speaking of GI woes...

A Human Masterpiece
[SIZE=-1]by Els Fiers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Cloaca, the latest work by the Belgian conceptualist Wim Delvoye (b. 1965), has just closed out its run at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MuHKA) in Antwerp. It was a room-sized installation of six glass containers connected to each other with wires, tubes and pumps. Every day, the machine received a certain amount of food.

Meat, fish, vegetables and pastries passed through a giant blender, were mixed with water, and poured into jars filled with acids and enzyme liquids. There they got the same treatment as the human stomach would supply. Electronic and mechanical units controlled the process, and after almost two days the food came out of a filtering unit as something close to genuine, human shit.

During the exhibition, the smelly assembly line caused quite some consternation. It seemed to bring an infernal message into the world. There is enough dung as it is. Why make more?

Worse, the installation was placed in a cold, clean space at the museum, where it was nourished by a first class chef who prepared two meals a day in an attached kitchen. The atmosphere suggested a hospital equipped for a strange experiment -- the birth and care of a machine that eats and defecates -- a mechanical baby. "Hi," it seemed to say, "I'm almost like you."

Delvoye's work doesn't resemble the human body, though perhaps it could be called a figurative work. But visitors walked out with a strange look on their faces, as if they'd just paid a visit to the devil. Cheeks turn a little pale as art, the beautiful image of humanity, turned into the making of stool.

Delvoye has given a name to his harsh creature: Cloaca, referring to the ancient sewer in Rome. But while the cloaca maxima proved to be useful, this Cloaca goes beyond every purpose, except of course revealing of the meaning of art. So, too, the spending and earning of money is part of its purpose. The machine daily delivered turds that were signed and sold for $1,000 each.

Absurd? "Imagine a very rich man who plays golf," Delvoye said. "He spends a massive amount of time and money for just one purpose: to put a little ball into a hole. Isn't that absurd?"

At a school visit, a little girl burst into tears in front of the machine. She might have been right. After all, she wasn't expecting to see such a powerful, shitty portrait of man.

Delvoye is fast developing a reputation on the international art circuit as something of a hard case. His work regularly appears on the auction block -- last November, an elaborately carved wood cabinet filled with 32 circular saw blades painted with scenes in Delft China blue sold for $21,150 at Christie's New York. Visitors to the 2000 Venice Biennale probably noticed his life-sized carved walnut replica of a cement truck.

And his continuing project, a herd of pigs covered with tattoos done by the best needle-men Antwerp's red-light district has to offer, is currently appearing at venues around the globe. Marcel, a pig adorned with a Harley-Davidson tattoo, has visited several European cities, while Bonnie and Clyde spent last Thanksgiving at the San Francisco Art Institute and Boris and Tatiana went to the Moscow Art Fair. The artist also makes stuffed tattooed pigs (one sold at auction in 1998 for $12,500) and tattooed pig skins ($4,830 in 1999). Delvoye lives and works in Ghent.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]ELS FIERS is a journalist and art critic who writes for the Belgian weekly magazines Knack and Focus.

[video=youtube;iSFe91XlwYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFe91XlwYQ[/video]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
My wife and I have talked about this. Neither of us are medical types, but from her experience, she reckons Rob will be a challenging case for his surgeons. His size is a major issue. There's also his reported asthma problem. If he has high blood pressure, that's another issue. If he's been taking other drugs, recreational or prescription, that could make the job more difficult for the anesthesiologist.

I think he is either diabetic or pre-diabetic.

A friend who is a surgeon does a lot of laparoscopic procedures, including for various forms of cancer. He tells me that it is harder to use so-called keyholes on grossly overweight patients, but nonetheless it is done if it can be, because there are so many benefits to avoiding an open incision whenever that is reasonably do-able (which it may not be if a mass is very large or if it is hard to tell where a mass extends to without 'going in for a real look around').

Almost off topic, but since this is officially a medicine and law thread now I will mention that my y spouse, who is an anaesthesiologist, gets a premium payment from OHIP for any case where the patient's BMI is 40 or more. She tells me it takes more effort to control the flow, wear-off time, etc. of the injected and inhaled drugs used in anaesthesia if a patient is grossly overweight.

Thanks for the added details on laproscopy, pud.

It will either kill him or cure him. He sure won't be in the limelight any more, and he loves being the centre of attention. Maybe he'll re-evaluate his priorities and spend some time with his kids instead of partying with criminals. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. Just look at the last 4 years.

All things considered, if Robbie doesn't kill himself by stupidity, then he has a good chance to being the "Ted Kennedy" of the family.

2012: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is in hospital with what doctors say is an "irritation" in his throat and stomach that has aggravated his asthma, according to the mayor's office.

Asthma? yeah right. Note the statement came from the mayors office and not a Doctor.
Anyone ever see him with a inhaler?
Seems to be able to run up the stairs when he wants to.

ETA:
If you google "Rob Ford Asthma", the only hit you get is that hospital stay.

Last edited:
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 4m
Doug Ford for Mayor director of communications Jeff Silverstein says Ford Fest (that was going to be on Friday) is being rescheduled #TOpoli

I wonder if they will need to find a new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back