474     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 595     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's at risk of being aborted?
your terrible ( in a great way)

I was really surprised by Himy Syed's .071%, Forum had him pegged at 0.0%. Most political polling company ever.
you too.

Not sure if the full debate is available. Will let you know if I hear otherwise.
Reaching out to diversity advancement after weekend, see if they have video.
Love the idea of Ford More Weeks.

Definitely agree, get in touch with the rfmg team (although they are clear they support only peaceful protest).

From my protesting experience, some suggestions:

The dollar store is your friend. Pick up a tub of sidewalk chalk - you can write on the NPS ground but messages are more visible on the concrete walls or even better, walk up the ramp and write upside down on the walls (as I have) - these will get picked up by media. Write big.

For a few bucks, pick up foamcore or other large poster-size materials and a big marker pen from the dollar store or art store. Write SIMPLE SHORT slogans - not entire essays - in big thick letters so they get picked up by media and viewed by passers by. You'll be sainted if you bring extra posters with different messages so you have a few to hand out.

Media will pick up on the event from Twitter.

Musicians are great as well - couple of drummers - cowbells - you get the idea.

I'll be there fully equipped, depending how long our weekly Andray Domise campaign team meeting runs. :)

Bring him!

Ford polluted the transit-scape throughout his tenure. A Scarborough LRT line that survived Ford's initial attack later fell when it became a pawn in a provincial byelection. Every candidate in that vote was for a subway plan. The provincial liberals folded their tent on their LRT plan and embraced a less effective subway.

In the end...Ford took credit....and the general public perceives it as a Ford win.

I will vote for whoever (and I too hope its Chow) has the best chance of ensuring no more Ford years.

I'm also tired of being told to vote Tory. I just wish some of these fringe candidates would go away, why do they even bother? They must just want to say "I ran for mayor" to their grandkids.

I think it's way too early to be making any conclusions on who is going to beat Ford. Things can easily change in the next two months.

I think it's way too early to be making any conclusions on who is going to beat Ford. Things can easily change in the next two months.

I was browsing another blog about this and I saw a comment by a progressive-minded voter who was considering a strategic vote for Ford to stop Tory from getting elected. His reasoning? While Ford is a disaster, he can't get support for his Tea Party agenda. John Tory would be able to do that.

Anyone got a gif of heads exploding?

Please stop telling me to vote Tory.
Not going to happen.

Sublime you are right and I respect that. I even have a little diatribe for people who are thinking of strategic voting, something along the lines of "Dont be surprised if you never get your hearts desire if you dont vote with your heart. Or" this ain't your parents politics". But drastic times... would you consider spoiling your ballot?

Please stop telling me to vote Tory.
Not going to happen.

Sublime you are right and I respect that. I even have a little diatribe for people who are thinking of strategic voting, something along the lines of "Dont be surprised if you never get your hearts desire if you dont vote with your heart. Or" this ain't your parents politics". But drastic times... would you consider spoiling your ballot?
I've always thought there should be a "None of the Above" box to indicate you're unable to choose from the candidates available. Then it's clear that you have exercised your right to vote and didn't just make a mistake and "spoil" your ballot.

I was browsing another blog about this and I saw a comment by a progressive-minded voter who was considering a strategic vote for Ford to stop Tory from getting elected. His reasoning? While Ford is a disaster, he can't get support for his Tea Party agenda. John Tory would be able to do that.

Anyone got a gif of heads exploding?

FTH: Interesting thought about John Tory...a vote for RF as a protest against JT...SL is not a Tory fan and will not vote
for JT under any circumstances...I have uncertainties of my own about Tory and that he may be too far to the right for
some voters - I think Soknacki would be more palatable but from what I have learned about Olivia Chow she may be too
far left for many "outer borough" voters...This election is becoming a very tough call and again is divided on idealogical
grounds and I do think that if a centrist - or someone thereabouts - ran for Mayor that could unite voters on a variety
of issues affecting Toronto that in itself would deny RF any thought of re-election...

This is turning out to be a very tough election and as we enter the final two months in the campaign many things could
change in these 7-8 weeks but - in the end I have gut confidence that voters will make the right decision and RF will no
longer be Mayor of Toronto as we begin November 2014...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
If Ford and Ford Nation was a normal situation then I would agree with you. However; if Ford was arrested for assaulting a heckler or a member of the media his numbers wouldn't change. Ford nation is to the death.

In which case...remember that death might happen. If not in one direction, then in the other; or coming from a different place in that one direction. That is, we might see a future Ford Fest or Scarborough-debate melee escalate into something Christie-Pits-riot-esque, or worse--and *that'd* jolt a lot of people; either that, or trigger outright municipal civil war.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that's a reason why the Fords *might* be backing away from general-purpose "Fests" on behalf of tighter mom's-house "fundraiser" affairs, or why they're backing away from debates or from sending their cheering-squad troops to debates. Because they know, from experience like the Scarborough FF, that there's a hair trigger out there. Even if their support is firm, the optics of literal, overt death and destruction are "not good".

Are you prepared to keep up this back-and-forth until the mods step in? There will not be a non-impotent Ford in office. Fear-mongering is the approved Kouvalis tactic.

I'm also tired of being told to vote Tory. I just wish some of these fringe candidates would go away, why do they even bother? They must just want to say "I ran for mayor" to their grandkids.

THANK YOU. I said several days ago that this "Chow is tanking" narrative had to start somewhere, and I'd bet money it's Kouvalis. One poll with a slight gain for Tory, and then the "Chow is tanking" rumblings start, the media picks it up and uncritically prints it - because heaven forbid that they actually ever do any hard work and look at things with a critical eye - and then word spreads, and then another poll comes out with worse numbers for her because it's started to catch on, and then the next thing you know, it's reality. Rinse and repeat, and next thing you know, you have Tory as mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back