729     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The police can't lay a careless driving charge without that driver being caught in the act, or after a collision where careless driving was found to be a factor. There's no police inaction in this case, actually I rather liked Sgt. Tim Burrow's Facebook post:

Not necessarily. They got the youtube biker on Vancouver Island, after a police investigation turned up eyewitnesses. The police could do the same in this case. But apparently they're not inclined to try.

How lucky for Mr Ford that a debate has started on budget cuts at the Toronto Police Service :)

The garbage on my street didn't get picked up until late Friday night, and I didn't call in. So I imagine that 1000 complaints is just a drop in the bucket.
Yes, there were probably more people that could have called but didn't. You also have to grant that a lot of people who wouldn't normally call, did so - and will continue to do so - because there is an ideological point to be made by making that call. Hard to say how many fall into either of those camps, but I would say that both skew the numbers somewhat. It will take a few weeks for the dust to settle, just like any new service.

I find it interesting that Mark Ferguson has set up a complaint line run by the union, but only after someone else was responsible for doing the job. Anyone know if the same complaint hotline is supposed to take calls for service east of Yonge?

Last edited:
Garbage can get picked up where I live as late as 2 or 3am, why don't they just keep the trucks on the road to collect everything until they have the bugs worked out?

Let's review the choices presented the electorate last time around.

Mr. Smitherman was a serial disaster in his Provincial posts and gave every indication that he would continue his unbroken string as mayor of Toronto. Mr. Pantalone was just too silly a choice running as Miller lite. No one else mattered, but thanks for coming out.

I voted for Mayor Ford in the last election because he was not cut from the same cloth as Mr. Miller, many others probably voted for him for the same reason. We know how it has worked out, like it or lump it some good things have happened.

Mayor Ford's public image has pretty well conformed to what was expected and most of those who voted for him are not surprised or particularly offended until this “reading while driving” episode came down the road. I will not vote again for an individual who is willing to endanger (not just offend) others and toss it off as excusable because he is a busy man.

I doubt if Mayor Ford will run again for the office of Mayor of Toronto for many reasons but I hope a like minded candidate offers himself to the electorate. The left side of the political spectrum will be crammed with people whose personal hubris will not allow them to visualize anyone else as the saviour of our fair city thus splitting the vote. Possibly, not the least of the left wing candidates in the next election will be none other than Mr. Miller. How much fun is he having populating a cubicle at a law firm that he doesn't own or lecturing at some second rate US community college? Not quite the glorious position he saw himself elevated to as retired mayor of Toronto, talk about hubris. The unions will vote for him I guess but is that all?

So long Mr. Ford, it's been good to know ya' .

Mayor Ford's public image has pretty well conformed to what was expected and most of those who voted for him are not surprised or particularly offended until this “reading while driving” episode came down the road. I will not vote again for an individual who is willing to endanger (not just offend) others and toss it off as excusable because he is a busy man.

Hmm, and this is Spider talking. Kind of a "if I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America" circumstance here...

Of course, a lot of the anti-Fords might say, "I hate to say I told you so..."

Oh come on spider. You may have had fun typing that, but your remarks on David Miller are absurd. A little research is all it takes to figure out he's actually teaching at a private college that has doctoral programs and is part of NYU. And as a big name at a Bay Street firm, I hardly think he sits at a cubicle. And being a social democrat, what would be his ojection to community colleges or working for a business he doesn't own?

I voted for Mayor Ford in the last election because he was not cut from the same cloth as Mr. Miller, many others probably voted for him for the same reason. We know how it has worked out, like it or lump it some good things have happened.

Respectfully, could you provide a list of these "good things" that have happened in Toronto thanks to Ford as Mayor? We've got a huge long one of all his failures, flubs and local/national/international embarrassments (so far).

I doubt if Mayor Ford will run again for the office of Mayor of Toronto for many reasons but I hope a like minded candidate offers himself to the electorate.

Like minded? Seriously? How about someone with all of his or her neurons firing, not a bully, not a stubborn dick and someone who understand how both suburban and downtown Toronto work. They can be left of centre, a mushy centrist or right of centre - so long as they are capable of moving the city forward, are inclusive, a uniter - not a divider and someone who gets off that damn telephone and gets out into the communities in the city and meet the citizenry at community and important events like all previous Mayors have done in the past 20 or so years.

Respectfully, could you provide a list of these "good things" that have happened in Toronto thanks to Ford as Mayor? We've got a huge long one of all his failures, flubs and local/national/international embarrassments (so far).

-Garbage privatization (maybe?)
-Cutting a small amount of waste at City Hall
-Accidentally banning plastic bags (admittedly due to his incompetence)
-We're now having a serious debate about transit funding in this city (again, largely due to his incompetence and was completely unintentional on his part)

That's all I could come up with. I obviously wasn't being entirely serious about the last two.

-Garbage privatization (maybe?)
-Cutting a small amount of waste at City Hall
-Accidentally banning plastic bags (admittedly due to his incompetence)
-We're now having a serious debate about transit funding in this city (again, largely due to his incompetence and was completely unintentional on his part)

That's all I could come up with. I obviously wasn't being entirely serious about the last two.

So how is privatization of garbage a good thing? How many times has this city seen a garbage strike? The way Ford made it sound it was happening every year. The only reason that passed council is because he introduced it so soon after he got elected/ If he had waited like he did with the subway debate he would have lost that vote also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back