759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 913     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, 1000 complaints out of 165,000 homes.....thats 0.6% of the homes, not bad for the first week of service.

Are you one of those Ford apologists?

I'd be curious to know the percentage of Toronto citizens who complained about the Jarvis bike lanes that warranted discussion for their removal. It's very likely less than 0.01% of all citizens. Also, what percentage of all Toronto citizens complained about the 5 cent bag fee? Again, it's likely a tiny fraction of 1 percentile.

It's funny that these complaints were taken so seriously and other complaints are totally disregarded.

Huh, 1000 complaints out of 165,000 homes.....thats 0.6% of the homes, not bad for the first week of service.
Given that they generally estimate that only a small fraction of people actually complain (and I'd presume even less for something like this, because if you know the entire street hasn't been got yet, there's less chance of any individual complaining, than if they just missed you), then I'd think 1,000 complaints is huge. Still, it's early days. Give them 2-3 weeks.

BTW, I had my garbage pick-up this morning ... and I'm east of Yonge (near Woodbine). I notice that the garbage pick-up pattern was VERY different this morning. I seldom get my garbage out before 8 AM, because I know that they do the main roads first, seldom hit us before 9 AM, and then if I have forgotten, don't hit the other side of the street until 10 AM or later (and more importantly, if I wait until morning, then the raccoons can't get it). But this morning, I put out the bins at 8:05. They came down the the other side first at 8:10, and turned around and hit my side a couple of minutes later. I've never seen anything like that before.

Has the privatization in the west, changed the staffing in the East? Have they actually added crews in the east, or just shuffled around.

Watching the truck this morning (I'm normally gone to work by the time they come), I have a hard time seeing how it could be much more efficient. The crew was not walking, but actually somewhere between walking and jogging.

The garbage on my street didn't get picked up until late Friday night, and I didn't call in. So I imagine that 1000 complaints is just a drop in the bucket.

From this link:

Spotted on the Gardiner...
ford%20reading.png

Why the mayor should be using a chauffeur.

He could also read his documents while riding on a bus or Subway, but then he avoids public transit.

Last edited:
The Star's got the story: Mayor Rob Ford caught reading while driving, says ‘I’m a busy man’

Mayor Rob Ford was photographed reading a document while driving on the Gardiner Expressway Tuesday morning, prompting questions about his behaviour behind the wheel for the third time in just over a year.

The photo was posted on Twitter. Ford unapologetically acknowledged its authenticity when asked about it at an unrelated news conference later in the morning.

“Yeah, probably,†he said flatly. “I’m busy.â€

When a reporter followed up by asking whether he reads while driving, he said, “Yeah, probably. Trying to catch up on my work; you know, keep my eyes on the road, but I’m a busy man.â€

When the reporter asked whether he doesn’t see a problem with reading on the Gardiner, he said again, “I’m busy.â€

Police Const. Clint Stibbe said drivers should not read while driving but that doing so is not a “chargeable offence.â€

“There’s no rule that says you can’t read and drive, per se,†Stibbe said. “The only legislation that’s been put in force is the one for distracted driving, which directly deals with the use of the cellphone and electronic devices. If he was involved in a collision, that particular situation would be part of the determination of fault, and, if necessary, charges. But on its own, unless there’s an exhibited lack of control of the motor vehicle, it’s not a hargeable situation. We certainly don’t condone it.â€

The 2014 Campaign should have the theme: "Does this man represent the best of the city?" They'd have enough material to run months of ads with photos like this one and endless forehead slapping quotes.

Unfortunately, while reading a message on a cell phone will get you fined and you may lose your license, reading a stack of papers will not. Ford is getting off easy on this one.

Hahaha, something most drivers have done....good one:D
Perhaps. But most people wouldn't then walk into a press conference and defend the practice, and not think there is anything wrong with reading reports while driving at 70 km/hr on the Gardiner. He said it was okay, because "you know I keep my eyes on the road".

As usual with Rob Ford ... it's not the situation itself, but how he stupidly he deals with it.

It's the situations that Dear Leader gets himself into and how he deals with them.

Most drivers have read while driving? I've never heard of this practice nor have I ever read while driving in my life, it doesn't seem like a very sound idea to me. So when I head out on my bike next I can also worry about people who are reading while they drive. Terrific.

It's the situations that Dear Leader gets himself into and how he deals with them.

Most drivers have read while driving? I've never heard of this practice nor have I ever read while driving in my life, it doesn't seem like a very sound idea to me. So when I head out on my bike next I can also worry about people who are reading while they drive. Terrific.

I've enjoying reading some of the pro-Ford Facebook groups and comments in the news defending Ford. Most of them are "so what?" and "we all multi task from our cars."

The same people defending him for distracted driving are the same people who are outraged when a cyclist goes through a stop sign on a quiet street. We've all seen/heard/read the attitude drivers have towards cyclists. We're all a bunch of crazies causing a mountain of accidents, chaos, death and destruction behind us. We break every law and should be more like cars.

This incident just further proves that Ford loyalists will defend his every move. Personally, I don't think anyone really likes Rob Ford, they just like that he upsets people who have differing political views than themselves. It's "payback" for when they hated David Miller.

Here again we have an instance were Rob Ford should be charged by Police and yet the Toronto Police are bending over backwards saying he didn't break the law because the distracted driving law only applies to hand-held devices.

This is nonsense. The OPP have laid charges under similar instances using the reckless driving provisions of the Highway Traffic Act (hard to argue in court that what he did wasn't reckless).

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2012/08/08/20081761.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back