220     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     10 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 405     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The urban planning/transit article is laughably misguided. Yes, LRVs and streetcars are 'spatially disruptive'. So what? And cars and buses aren't?

I didn't understand her point about "I’m a migraine sufferer and taking public transit is hard on me." Huh? What about all the people
who suffer from asthma? It's okay for them to put up with car pollution because she suffers from migraines?

She calls Rob a visionary. "Rob Ford is no Frank Gehry, but that doesn’t make him any less of a visionary. And that’s because we don’t choose visionaries; they choose us. The undertaking Ford is attempting — to make subways and not LRTs the standard for Toronto — outsizes the ambitions of more recent mayors. It’s a grand gesture and grand gestures require grand personalities. Ford is not what most Torontonians expected. He’s polarizing and the scale of his plans, especially his willingness to move money around to achieve them, is jarring the Toronto establishment in profoundly evocative ways. However, the Toronto Transit Commission needs help and I suspect Ford is their most likely saviour. Residents should remember that and remember that leaders do not need to look like them to succeed."

On the flip side it gives you an interesting view to how someone that is not considered typical ford nation can be a Rob Ford supporter.

I'm surprised to find out I'm a hipster and quite possibly a "latte sipping elitist", and I don't even drink coffee!

Maybe she should follow the dots and realise that for Toronto to have more subway lines/extensions there must be revenue generated, and Robbie according to himself is the antithesis of such things.

(I know Robbie has voted for a subway portion of property tax, however, it exceeded his plans. And there is the gas tax thingy.)

I didn't understand her point about "I’m a migraine sufferer and taking public transit is hard on me." Huh? What about all the people
who suffer from asthma? It's okay for them to put up with car pollution because she suffers from migraines?

I wonder if she takes migraine meds before or during driving? Most car people I have met don't consider others unless they inconvenience them.

this kid has the right idea...

10522221_1446734165590310_1222123557_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/779176616773627575_209126354

Attachments

• 10522221_1446734165590310_1222123557_n.jpg
    10522221_1446734165590310_1222123557_n.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 765
Do you really want to know where Dougie's head is at? Dougie always acts like he is undergoing hormone treatments, he is stereotypically a meathead, a mans' man that can never show signs of weakness, or heavens forbid, sensitivity.
Head_up_ass_903_jpg.png

She calls Rob a visionary. "Rob Ford is no Frank Gehry, but that doesn’t make him any less of a visionary. And that’s because we don’t choose visionaries; they choose us. The undertaking Ford is attempting — to make subways and not LRTs the standard for Toronto — outsizes the ambitions of more recent mayors. It’s a grand gesture and grand gestures require grand personalities. Ford is not what most Torontonians expected. He’s polarizing and the scale of his plans, especially his willingness to move money around to achieve them, is jarring the Toronto establishment in profoundly evocative ways. However, the Toronto Transit Commission needs help and I suspect Ford is their most likely saviour. Residents should remember that and remember that leaders do not need to look like them to succeed."

On the flip side it gives you an interesting view to how someone that is not considered typical ford nation can be a Rob Ford supporter.

Though I'd do a Lloyd Bentsen here and accuse Rob Ford of being "no Jean Drapeau", if you get my drift.

Yup: she's got a simplistic, parvenu notion of "grand gestures" as urban saviours. Y'know, the "what NYC really needs is another Robert Moses" mindset at its most rudimentary and undigested...

"Residents should remember that and remember that leaders do not need to look like them to succeed."

That is the stupidest fricking thing I've ever read, but the last line tells you where she's coming from---she thinks that people don't like Rob Ford because they're racist against fat people. The woman has little to no understanding of the actual issues, but is using the subject as a smokescreen to beat the drum for the "fat peoples' rights" cause. Always nice when people who try to mislead and bend the facts give away the game at the very end.

Ford's not a visionary, he's a short-sighted idiot. I was down at Sugar Beach yesterday. There are billions of dollars worth of condo development going up which will make use of that little park. If anything, the city should be investing more money along the lakefront, putting in more all-season parkettes and alternatives to the concrete landscape for the citizens, the taxpayers, the folks who will be moving into that area.

Last edited:
Ford's not a visionary, he's a short-sighted idiot. I was down at Sugar Beach yesterday. There are billions of dollars worth of condo development going up which will make use of that little park. If anything, the city should be investing more money along the lakefront, putting in more all-season parkettes and alternatives to the concrete landscape for the citizens, the taxpayers, the folks who will be moving into that area.

What's that old expression? Knows the cost of everything, the value of nothing = Rob Ford.

bingo - of all the things to praise Ford for, vision is bottom of the list. Coming out of a recession, I can definitely see why some people like the idea of a belt-tightener. I can also see why people appreciate the 'retail politician' aspect that makes previously ignored or marginalized people feel respected and included.

but as a 'leader,' Ford is just a walking balance sheet. I literally have no idea what Ford's vision for the city is, after nearly 4 years in power. I know he wants to cut taxes, I guess, but which ones? Why? To what end? Are there things he's willing to pay for? What is fat and what is meat, when he's cutting? What if two similar taxes are side-by-side and we can only cut one - which would he prefer? What does Ford want this city to look like in 5, 10, 50 years? We have no idea (though I think some people might project onto him.)

I've said it before: a group of highschool math students could balance the city's books - it's not complicated. The complicated part is the vision: is laying out a plan for how you want the city to be, and a road map to get there. That means clearly spelling out what's important, making tough choices, taking a stand, and balancing tactics with strategy. He's done none of that, ever.

I'll hear people out if they want to applaud him for bringing discipline to city hall spending, or for engaging at the grass-roots - especially at the margins. But to describe him as visionary, in any way, tells me that you're not ready to be taken seriously at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back