2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 770     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth reading.

"City Hall: Lord of the Flies

This week, someone brought a conch shell into City Hall and blew it. Now this might not seem so unusual, since this great civic hall has also seen meowing, temper tantrums from the Ford brothers, blatant displays of hatred, negativism and petulance (again from the Ford brothers), spontaneous dance parties to reggae music, senior councillors being bowled over football style (again, Ford), and the famous and world-broadcast admission of drug use (again, surprise, surprise, from a Ford). And this is our seat of city government. ( continued )...
http://ariformayor.com/city-hall-lord-of-the-flies/

my 2 favourite paragraphs...

I cannot help but notice a painful similarity between this book and what is happening at City Hall, where two self-appointed thugs have dained to take over the place, sitting wherever they want, speaking or shouting whenever they want, routinely rejecting every single piece of proactive public legislation that is put before them, cutting down opposition and contrary facts, all the while grinning like fiends.

and...

The Fords do not own this city. They may have been born into idle privilege, and have had the good fortune to play politics as their personal pastime, but for the millions of residents of this town as well as its visitors, it’s a place that needs mature adult supervision. And it needs it now.

oh... i get it now. he thought wearing the chain of office gave him all his mayoral powers back. what a loser.

The Pan Am Games event, along with a gas tax announcement earlier in the day, also marked the first time Ford has worn the mayor’s chain of office since returning from his leave of absence. Massoudi said Ford was wearing it because he was at two events representing the city.

“The chain of office signifies the authority and powers that the residents of Toronto vested in him during the last general election,” he said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/11/rob-ford-draws-quite-a-crowd-in-nathan-phillips-square

eta: a great comment...

dogface • 7 hours ago

There once was a chain wearing pig,
Mickeys of vodka he did love to swig.
He don't take no questions,
Or heed good suggestions.
We can't wait till he loses this gig.

Last edited:
Just read Marcus Gee's piece in the star, and I'm not sure I agree. I'm sympathetic to his (and Dale's) argument that Ford is the chief magistrate and therefore fundamentally needs to be covered. But I, for one, wasn't ever calling for a total boycott.

I'm just begging reporters - especially those on the City Hall beat - to stop transcribing the man's press releases verbatim. Even a minimal bit of fact-checking would go a long way.

Certainly some good commentary out of this (James, DiManno, Gee, Coyne, etc), for sure. But Gee's colleagues have a lot to answer for in their meek and lazy coverage of Ford.

Just read Marcus Gee's piece in the star, and I'm not sure I agree. I'm sympathetic to his (and Dale's) argument that Ford is the chief magistrate and therefore fundamentally needs to be covered. But I, for one, wasn't ever calling for a total boycott.

I'm just begging reporters - especially those on the City Hall beat - to stop transcribing the man's press releases verbatim. Even a minimal bit of fact-checking would go a long way.

Certainly some good commentary out of this (James, DiManno, Gee, Coyne, etc), for sure. But Gee's colleagues have a lot to answer for in their meek and lazy coverage of Ford.

I think lazy is a perfect description. They don't mind covering him from a sort of tabloid perspective but don't seem to be able or willing to directly confront demonstrable lies and/or misrepresentations. There are a few notable exceptions, but by and large most seem like all too willing to succumb to the unfocused Mansbridge Malaise we saw in that pathetic interview.

P.s. Nice handle, expat!

he's sooo frustrating!!

"as soon as i go away, they go and spend a million dollars on rocks and umbrellas". as we all know, sugar beach was completed in 2010. (http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/07/sugar_beach_park_opens_on_torontos_waterfront/)

"they reduce lanes on eglinton from 5 lanes to 2 lanes" but, again as we know, the eglinton connects planning study has been in the works for the past two years. (http://globalnews.ca/news/1438104/eglinton-connects-planning-study-up-for-debate-at-city-council/)

i wish he was always corrected on the spot, but he seems to never be... soooo frustrating!!

i'd say he was stupid, but i know it's planned. that's the spin he has to give it to keep his poorly informed fans liking him.

eta: i forgot to include that he also looks like he's on some sort of stimulant during this interview.

Ford was in a cracked out drunken stupor for the past few years, that's why he doesn't remember what was going on in the city..

What a ringing endorsement:

Ann Hui @annhui · 16h
Doug Ford on nephew Michael: "He’s grown up in politics..I trust his judgement more than I trust probably 90% of the councillors down here”

Looks like Leanne had a late night:

Crabby Colly ‏@Collyw0bbles Jul 10
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/10/rob-ford-leeanne-mcrobb-sandro-lisi_n_5574247.html … Drop your car in TO, drive #RobFord's SUV back to Greenestone: drug delivery. No body shops in Muskoka, apparently.

LeeAnne
‏@leeeee34
@Collyw0bbles u wanna see what is In muskoka come on up little girl

Joanne Nicolle
12:12 am - 12 Jul 2014
Rhonda Matthews ‏@rofopho 4h
@leeeee34 @Collyw0bbles LeeAnne, don't. You're out of your league. If you value your twitter experience, not that you should.

LeeAnne ‏@leeeee34 4h
@rofopho @Collyw0bbles Rhonda which sounds like an overweight name keep your mind and your thoughts to yourself !!! Thanks

LeeAnne ‏@leeeee34 4h
@Collyw0bbles haha please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back