533     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 631     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't bear to re-post that ghastly full face frontal, but is that not the smug expression of a man who is (self delusionally) certain that he has figured out the correct order in which to assemble all of life's dots and if the rest of us are lucky, he might just consider letting us know...

this is really powerful:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1pur8

Myrna✨ · @SailorSoapbox

17th May 2014 from TwitLonger

My 15-year-old sister has Autism Spectrum Disorder of moderate severity. I am 12 years older, and have occupied a co-parent role since she was born. There is no one in the world I love more than my little sister, and my parents are fine with that.

With the onset of adolescence, however, she began to have trouble distinguishing her nightmares from reality, and she began physically attacking her family and people at school when she became angry. The police and the ambulances had to be called sometimes when we could not get her calmed down. Sometimes that is just the reality. When she is not angry, she is clever, funny, affectionate, kind, curious and enthusiastic, and every day I learn something new from her.

It absolutely broke our hearts to have to make the choice, but we took the advice of experts who told us that putting my sister in a group home was the only solution to help her with her emotional problems. Griffin Centre is one of the charitable organizations that helped us to care for my sister. The waitlists to get in one of their homes are years long, and they have only a few locations...thanks to NIMBYism.

Ward 2's group home is only 10 minutes away from where we live, but instead my sister now lives in Grimsby, over an hour's drive away and $50+ in gas for one round trip. We see her every week, and when we have to part, my heart breaks all over again - even though I get to talk to her on the phone every day.

If Doug Ford had his way, my baby sister would be on some remote farm somewhere - away from the "normal" people, where she would be out of sight and out of mind. My baby sister is not a "mental person," and she deserves to live in a residential neighbourhood just like anyone else. Doug Ford and every resident of Ward 2 who is trying to force the Griffin Centre residents & staff to move are spitting in the face of my family, my sister, and every other family with an autistic child in need.

Doug Ford, you are an irredeemable and evil man. You and your criminal brother not only do not deserve public office, you don't even deserve to live in Toronto. You make me sick.

Ward 2 residents, your ignorance and bigotry brings shame to everyone in Toronto. Instead of trying to help your children to understand natural differences, you just want them to go away so you can live your suburban dream. I hope your children do not grow up as mindless as you have. You and the Fords have hurt me deeply, you have hurt my family deeply, and you have insulted wonderful people like my sister. This blatant discrimination and ableism is not what Toronto values. You're more than welcome to go live on farms yourselves. You do far more damage than any autistic child could ever do.

Everyone: I noticed this local neighborhood opposition to this group home and it reminds me that many similar group homes
for adults with physical and mental disabilities are fought here on Long Island by NIMBY opponents that cite property values among
the prime reasons for their views...In my opinion NIMBYism is divisive in many ways,helps no one and gets nothing positive accomplished...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Would it not be ironic that it might be Doug that had killed off any of Robs chances for re-election with this latest BS rant?

I was not aware that the Province of Ontario had closed the Thistletown Regional Centre.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...g_closing_of_thistletown_regional_centre.html

It reminds me, on a much - much - lesser scale, of the of the deinstitutionalization of Queen Street Mental Hospital and the Lakeshore Provincial Psychiatric Hospital ( as they were named at the time ) by the Province of Ontario.

Thousands of patients were discharged from Queen Street and Lakeshore into South Parkdale in the early 1980s in favour of “community-based care.â€

Whether deinstitutionalization was the correct political decision by the province is not for me to say. But, I was stationed on Strachan Ave. during that period and clearly remember the overwhelming effect it had on emergency services and

the South Parkdale community.

Hopefully, the province learned a valuable lesson from it?

The proliferation of small scale residential group homes, like Griffin Centre, has been the primary strategy for managing deinstitutiinalization. It was heavily influenced by the 999 Queen disaster you describe.

Great. Now there's spit all over my computer screen. Could you have chosen a smaller photo, TO? This one kind of overwhelmed me. ;)

I can share a personal story. I won't say where I was in case DoFo tracks me down and has my home rezoned for me not living in it....
He was glad handing folks as I was in a line last year, and I mentioned to a friend with me that I wouldn't be able to control myself if he tries to shake my hand and I will call him an asshole. Sure enough he came by me and offered his hand and without even noticing the mental filter I said it. "I can't shake your hand man, you guys are a couple of assholes." His face looked slightly angrier than this photo and he responded in true suburb. "OH YEAH?! Well I'll have you know I am a great guy. I should take you out to lunch and tell you how much of a great guy I am ..." As the line was moving and he was moving back I also went a bit suburb "OH YEAH?! When...*sir*?? Let's go..." And he barked at his ASSisstant to get my number so I can verbally destroy him another time. She fumbled for a pen and I whispered "Honey don't bother, I don't need the mafia at my door. kthxbai"

So yeah. I feel like I represented. My mother is still horrified that I did that. But more cause she thinks I'll get killed now.

Would it not be ironic that it might be Doug that had killed off any of Robs chances for re-election with this latest BS rant?

That boat sailed for good three weeks ago. This is all just sprinkles on an ice cream cone now. Eat it all up, it's going to make a great documentary (or mini-series) one day. Our next Mayor is John Tory or Olivia Chow.

I really hope someone pursues it on this end. What he said was despicable. He is an elected official, and those comments he made weren't for other people or on behalf of other people, he said how he personally felt. It was unprofessional and completely inappropriate.

Isn't it Mental Health awareness week? eta apparently that was the week earlier: http://mentalhealthweek.cmha.ca/

Agree completely!!! And I wish this aspect was getting more play in the media.

A key responsibility as ward councillor is to help facilitate disputes within the community when issues arise. He called the meeting, which was a good thing, but should have been there ON TIME to mediate the discussion and to help both sides come to a better understanding.

Instead he took sides and completely abdicated his councillor role. What a disgrace.

I sincerely hope that once his term is over his ability to participate and influence politics at any level will be reduced to angry tirades on the Toronto Sun comment boards.

I can share a personal story. I won't say where I was in case DoFo tracks me down and has my home rezoned for me not living in it....
He was glad handing folks as I was in a line last year, and I mentioned to a friend with me that I wouldn't be able to control myself if he tries to shake my hand and I will call him an asshole. Sure enough he came by me and offered his hand and without even noticing the mental filter I said it. "I can't shake your hand man, you guys are a couple of assholes." His face looked slightly angrier than this photo and he responded in true suburb. "OH YEAH?! Well I'll have you know I am a great guy. I should take you out to lunch and tell you how much of a great guy I am ..." As the line was moving and he was moving back I also went a bit suburb "OH YEAH?! When...*sir*?? Let's go..." And he barked at his ASSisstant to get my number so I can verbally destroy him another time. She fumbled for a pen and I whispered "Honey don't bother, I don't need the mafia at my door. kthxbai"

So yeah. I feel like I represented. My mother is still horrified that I did that. But more cause she thinks I'll get killed now.

That kind of reminds me of a few years back, when our councillor was Howard Moscoe. I was heading to the subway station on my way to school when I noticed a few men standing around outside the station. As I was walking past them, one said "would you like to meet Mr Whoeveritwas, the Tory candidate for this ward?" I let out an instinctual "fuck no!" as I headed past him, coming face to face with a rather shocked looking guy with his hand out ready to shake mine.

oliviachow 4:29pm via Twitter for BlackBerry
It's long past time the Fords showed everyone respect. Kids with autism deserve support not attacks from Doug Ford.

How long has Doug Ford Jr. been in politics? As I understand it, Robbo was pushed in about 13 years ago, but Doug seemed to hop on the gravy train much more recently. He goes on about how his family is all about devoting their lives to 'service to community' (Ha! More like "Community Service in lieu of time served", LOSER) when in fact his dad did one term as a back bencher, and was a member of one club, and he himself only got into politics once Robbie started to gain ground and he realized he could benefit from that.

'Least, that's how it appears to me.

Anyone on here connected to someone with access to MLS? Would love to see some data regarding recent sale prices on Jeffcoat Drive compared with their last purchase prices. This $150,000 number from Doug should be easy to refute. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back