News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
80s Doug Ford ‏@80sDougFord 54m

You let artistic kids in the neighbourhood, next thing ya know its full of gallery openings and f*ckin' fru fru coffee shops #topoli

Actually, I wonder if a human rights complaint can be filed against DoFo for promoting discrimination due to disability? It may be an interesting complaint. Could be groundbreaking, especially if done as a class action
I'd like to know this too.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...310VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextfmt=default

As an employee of the City, Doug does seem to have violated provisions of the Human Rights Code. Does anyone have solid information on whether the effort is worth pursuing? Or that if enough people submit complaints, would it force the city to investigate and possibly 'intervene' ?

I'd like to know this too.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...310VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextfmt=default

As an employee of the City, Doug does seem to have violated provisions of the Human Rights Code. Does anyone have solid information on whether the effort is worth pursuing? Or that if enough people submit complaints, would it force the city to investigate and possibly 'intervene' ?

There must be an alternate route although based on your link, "Note: The Human Rights Office has no jurisdiction over acts or procedures of Toronto City Council or its committees.
", it may be left to the very ineffectual Integrity Commission.

It would be quite ironic if NK wrote JT's statement.
But good on JT for speaking out about it.

http://www.johntory.ca/john_tory_re...n_the_griffin_centre_and_children_with_autism

Published on May 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM

John Tory released the following statement in response to Councillor Doug Ford’s statements about children with autism and the Griffin Centre:

“Doug Ford's comments are deeply regrettable and from another age. For years, it was thought the best way to help people with disabilities, including those with autism, was to place them in large institutions – a kind of confinement away from the community. ‎Today, we know what is best for us and best for them is to include them in every possible way – at school and in our community. For Doug Ford to express surprise that kids with autism would “be leaving the house" is incredibly out of touch and insensitive.
more at source

A link to the actual policy - I had trouble finding this, it seems that several of the links from the front page are broken.

1.0 Policy Statement
Under the Ontario Human Rights Code, every person has a right to equal treatment in the provision of services and facilities, occupation of accommodation, contracts and in employment. Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, all employers are required to have a policy, program, information and instruction regarding workplace harassment.

The City of Toronto, its Agencies, Corporations and citizen advisory committees/bodies are committed to respectful, equitable service delivery and employment practices. The goal of this Policy is to recognize the dignity and worth of every person (whether resident, service recipient or employee) and to create a climate of understanding and mutual respect.

The City condemns harassment, denigration, discriminatory actions and the promotion of hatred. The City of Toronto will not tolerate, ignore, or condone discrimination or harassment and is committed to promoting respectful conduct, tolerance and diversity at all times. All employees are responsible for respecting the dignity and rights of their co-workers and the public they serve. The City's Human Rights and Anti-Harassment/Discrimination Complaint Procedures provide a range of dispute resolution options for employees, service recipients and Members of Toronto City Council who believe that they may have experienced discrimination and/or harassment.

2.0 Application
This policy applies to all City of Toronto employees, volunteers, Accountability Officers and their staff, elected officials and their staff and to all aspects of the employment relationship. Toronto Public Service (TPS) staff are expected to abide by this policy, the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other relevant City Policy and legislation.

Citizen advisory committees/bodies, members of the public, service recipients, visitors to and users of City facilities/public space and individuals conducting business with, for or with support from the City of Toronto, are expected to adhere to this policy. This includes refraining from discriminating and/or harassing City of Toronto employees, elected officials and persons acting on behalf of the City of Toronto. If such discrimination and/or harassment occur, the City of Toronto will take action to ensure a harassment/discrimination-free workplace, facility and service provision, including barring a harasser from its facilities, limiting services, discontinuing business and/or revoking contracts with consultants or contractors.

It seems it does apply to elected officials, but reading farther down, it almost sounds as if it is only speaking to harassment/denigration of those who are either employed by the city, or members of the public who are attempting to use city services. I'm no expert, though. I could be reading it wrong.

Never mind the bare minimum of maintenance, and no actual improvements at RoFo's house. They are definitely not keeping up with the Jones'...
The care of the Ford yard seems to go up and down. It actually wasn't half bad in 2009 (via Google Earth Street View timeline):
Untitled1.jpg

To be fair, there is usually one of those in every neighbourhood, and the effects are probably minimal beyond a few houses in either direction.

(now I have to go out and "not be that guy" and get some yard work done, BBL)

Me too!:eek:

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 736
There must be an alternate route although based on your link, "Note: The Human Rights Office has no jurisdiction over acts or procedures of Toronto City Council or its committees.
", it may be left to the very ineffectual Integrity Commission.

Oh, I dunno. One can make the argument that Doug's comments in no way reflect the position of Toronto City Council or any of its committees. In fact, if I were a city councillor I'd contemplate bringing a motion saying exactly that, and if I were a citizen of Toronto I'd be writing my councillor urging them to do so.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back