306     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If "extremely incorrect" is undiplomatic, then most of us are tyrants by that standard.

Ha! Exactly!

"Extremely incorrect" is only undiplomatic when measured against the fantastic Dale and Doolittle standards (and a small handful of others, to be fair). I'm really impressed by the degree of level-headedness shown by reporters who couldn't have imagined what they'd be taking on as a result of agreeing to be T.O. City Hall journos.

"What can you do? They don't want us there, they don't want us there... They're probably thinking now that it's an election year, there will be a lot of candidates there, no doubt and they don't want to turn it political. And I understand that. It's for the kids. And I respect their decision. When you got 10,000 eggs though, I wish they would have told me a little earlier."—Mayor Rob Ford after learning that he won't be able to hand them out at an Easter parade after the Beaches Lions Club declared it a "political free zone"

If you haven't visited the Ford Nation facebook page, you should. It might give you some hope. A small handful of people have joined as supporters. The rest are there to heckle. Of the supporters we've got some conspiracy types, a guy from Hamilton and his friends. 9 times out of 10 if you visit any of their profiles, they are trying to obfuscate who they are and where they live.

If you take a look at the "I Hate the War on Mayor Rob Ford" Facebook page, it's quite the same. One of the early big contributors was a woman named Sue Wilson, who lives in St. Catherines. The fact it seems to have plateaued at just under 3700 likes is pretty telling (I seem to recall admin Neil Flagg predicting 10,000 by the end of 2013). Where they may have once had some appeal to moderate Ford voters, the most vociferous of the die-hards have driven the sane people away. What's left of the most frequent commenters is a rag-tag group of functional illiterates, racist old men, ignorant housewives and a lily-white old woman who claims to be native AND a super-genius and tags about half of her comments with a quote about natives by Pierre Trudeau.

Neil Flagg admins the page in the most two-faced of ways, claiming that anyone using racial slurs, bigotry or ignorance will be promptly booted, and yet many of the regulars are some of the most racist, bigoted and ignorant people I've seen. Misogyny (even from some of the women) is rampant. For a long while he claimed no one was banned, even anti-Forders, yet that promptly went by the wayside. He once posted a rant about political corruption in city hall, and I responded by posting quite a long (and heavily cited) list of all the things Rob Ford has done that fall under the traditional description of "corruption" (cronyism, abuse of power, courting lobbyists for personal gain, embezzlement, etc.). That comment was quickly deleted and I was banned.

I've since seen that FordNation are a small, but very vocal group. It's the same people, over and over again that make a handful seem like throngs.

That said, the people with this level of blind devotion scare me. Properly harnessed, these are the type of people who (under a non-bumbling, more malicious leader) can be talked into supporting genocides.

Last edited:
Ford will never won an election ever again if the ranked ballot initiative passes.

Ford almost certainly would've won a majority rather than his plurality had ranked ballots been instituted for the 2010 election.

I find it extremely bizarre that FordNation consider ranked ballots a trick by leftists that will somehow destroy democracy, completely ignoring that it gives no advantage to anyone of any political stripe. You'd think they'd never bothered to actually research what it's about or something.

If you take a look at the "I Hate the War on Mayor Rob Ford" Facebook page, it's quite the same. One of the early big contributors was a woman named Sue Wilson, who lives in St. Catherines. The fact it seems to have plateaued at just under 3700 likes is pretty telling (I seem to recall admin Neil Flagg predicting 10,000 by the end of 2013). Where they may have once had some appeal to moderate Ford voters, the most vociferous of the die-hards have driven the sane people away. What's left of the most frequent commenters is a rag-tag group of functional illiterates, racist old men, ignorant housewives and a lily-white old woman who claims to be native AND a super-genius and tags about half of her comments with a quote about natives by Pierre Trudeau.

Neil Flagg admins the page in the most two-faced of ways, claiming that anyone using racial slurs, bigotry or ignorance will be promptly booted, and yet many of the regulars are some of the most racist, bigoted and ignorant people I've seen. Misogyny (even from some of the women) is rampant. For a long while he claimed no one was banned, even anti-Forders, yet that promptly went by the wayside. He once posted a rant about political corruption in city hall, and I responded by posting quite a long (and heavily cited) list of all the things Rob Ford has done that fall under the traditional description of "corruption" (cronyism, abuse of power, courting lobbyists for personal gain, embezzlement, etc.). That comment was quickly deleted and I was banned.

I've since seen that FordNation are a small, but very vocal group. It's the same people, over and over again that make a handful seem like throngs.

That said, the people with this level of blind devotion scare me. Properly harnessed, these are the type of people who (under a non-bumbling, more malicious leader) can be talked into supporting genocides.

At least a couple of them have facebook accounts with zero friends and like no shares. I don't think all of the "commenters" and people who like the page are actual people.

I just visited the Facebook group for I Hate The War (to cheer me up, as suggested). The level of delusion is truly awe-inspiring.

"We would like to see more [pictures] of the couple together," says one Facebook user who has 8 friends and one post (about Ford), "This is good for the promotion of Toronto - family values". She is talking about Rob and Renata. Another speaks of a "hipster dominated newsroom" and is referring to the National Post. Hahahahaha.

At least a couple of them have facebook accounts with zero friends and like no shares. I don't think all of the "commenters" and people who like the page are actual people.

I think they are actual people because who else would be able to read and write, even badly lol. But I agree some are pseudonyms likely creating multiple accounts, if this is what you meant :)

Going to that Facebook group will only lead to frustration, sadness, feelings of extreme cosmic loneliness, etc. From somebody who used to drive himself crazy with it: just stay away.

I'm really sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse, but I really want to know what the hell happened with Jaclyn Dawe! Her Facebook acct. was initiated in Dec/13. She has no friends. She disappeared in Feb last year and abandoned her car and apparently moved to Asia without informing her co-workers. I know I sound like a conspiracy freak, but this, as much as I would like it not to, really bothers me. If I may paraphrase the almighty Doug, I just can't put the dots together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back