416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sort of where I am. Any time any shred of compassion for him starts to build up (and there have been times it has...) he does something despicable, and it evaporates.

I've always despised his politics and I knew in 2010 that he was clearly unfit to be our mayor. I hated him as a person but for a long time I felt some lingering sympathy for him and his addiction and his awful, sad life. That ended when he double-downed on the accusations about Daniel Dale last year. Screw him - he's a piece of human garbage and I no longer really give a damn what happens to him. I'll not waste a single minute ever again worrying about "poor" Rob Ford.

Love this post.
Empathy mixed with a bit of confusion about why I should give a flip describes my feelings at this point. I have no similar empathy for his unredeemable brother or his cold, ambitious mother.

I have literally no sympathy for him as long as he's on his current path of destruction. If he resigned, admitted to being an addict and an asshole, and renounced his politics, I'd be absolutely willing to give him a chance to start over, and would hope that he could have success, peace and happiness.

Until that happens, though? Screw him.

hotmeowl lawyer?

I would like to see this Bonnie & Clyde saga played out with all parts acted by cats!

This one is of RF:
rob ford the cat.jpg

Attachments

• rob ford the cat.jpg
    rob ford the cat.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 810
compassion for Rob Ford might involve recognizing that for him, accountability and responsibility for his actions is his due as the only way that he is going to evolve as a soul, since he has chosen to reject all other ways such as rehabilitation, help and advice from others, etc. A catastrophic outcome might be the only way that he will come to face who he really is. Acknowledging this, that he very well might go down in flames, might in fact be a compassionate view.

Yep, me too. If the guy would like respect, help, understanding, a step back from total revulsion, whatever, the first step for him is to stop (figuratively) punching people in the face, both one at a time through inexplicable personal interactions, and thousands to millions at a time just about every time he makes the news.

I've always despised his politics and I knew in 2010 that he was clearly unfit to be our mayor. I hated him as a person but for a long time I felt some lingering sympathy for him and his addiction and his awful, sad life. That ended when he double-downed on the accusations about Daniel Dale last year. Screw him - he's a piece of human garbage and I no longer really give a damn what happens to him. I'll not waste a single minute ever again worrying about "poor" Rob Ford.

That's it for me, too. It's one thing for his politics to affect abstract groups of people - we often do not see the immediate impact on any given person. But seeing how he treats individuals that he interacts with on a daily basis - his colleagues, people from the media, his wife - it's sickening. He's a big, mean, dickish, frat-boy bully, and for no good reason other than he can be. If he ever showed one iota of human regard for others - but he doesn't. He makes it very difficult to feel compassion for him by virtue of the way he treats others.

compassion for Rob Ford might involve recognizing that for him, accountability and responsibility for his actions is his due as the only way that he is going to evolve as a soul, since he has chosen to reject all other ways such as rehabilitation, help and advice from others, etc. A catastrophic outcome might be the only way that he will come to face who he really is. Acknowledging this, that he very well might go down in flames, might in fact be a compassionate view.

Yes.
If he does have a catastrophic 'come to awakening' moment, I hope that it involves no one but himself, and he takes no one else down in flames.

The best we can do is hold space for the possibility that he may become aware of himself, but not to spend any extra energy generating bad thoughts about him. To quote Buckminster Fuller: “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

On the positive side of things, the Rob Ford saga has taught us much about ourselves and our city. RoFo has helped to engage civic participation in apathetic Toronto. He has helped us to see the organized crime and corruption in law enforcement, and the political realm. He has helped to heighten the divide between those who are actively engaged in big city living, and those who are seemingly here by default. And lastly, he has exposed the fact that there is a high percentage of people in our city who may be suffering from mental health issues. (How else to explain Fraud nation :) )

This ought to make your blood boil.

Joe tweets, "Dude is allowed to go out and party or whatever he wants. It's a free country and it was Saturday. Whole story was exagerated. No big deal"
https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/status/452934348665139200

Wow.
It's worth going through the replies.

In response to the question "And what do you make of Ford's friend/ally Councillor Di Giorgio reporting that Ford blew off a community event to party?" Warmington only says "Who cares." Then asked "No notice to the organizers. Just didn't show up. That's acceptable behaviour? Can you do that where you work?" He replies "More spin. Get a life.".

Sheesh. I've always known him to be an exceptionally poor writer and reflex right-winger... but, this kind of stuff makes him come across as some sort of bunkered, paranoid conspiracy theorist. You can ALMOST forgive Doug for spewing this kind of crap because it's family... but, this guy?!
Either he's nuts - because once Ford is gone he's out of a job or The Sun is just encouraging him to play and write in "character" to get exclusives and sell papers to the base.

Any C&H with the snowmen are awesome.

I've been 2 pages behind almost all day, never mind twitter, RoFo's shenanigans last night didn't surprise or offend me, (any more than he usually does) until he got back to CH and smoked crack IN HIS OFFICE after the game. I follow many of the people sitting in on twitter, and have sat a spell, and there are a few that have been there when that mysterious not quiet burning rubber smell has wafted though the building previously, causing enough alarm to have security looking for something on fire.
City Hall is a crack house.
No sympathy.
And I catch spiders and release them outside when its warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back