35 Surprising Things About a Selfie With Rob Ford
1. I was just trying to go to the bathroom.
2. His normal voice in public is not the same shouting, belligerent tone you see in his videos.
3. It makes encountering him a very dissonant experience.
4. He does not look you in the eye.
5. He’s extremely uncomfortable in his own skin.
6. He flinches every time a pretty girl nuzzles up close to him for a photo.
7. The idea that most young people think he’s “cool” or a celebrity is bullshit.
8. Most people walking away from him are laughing at, not with, him.
9. I heard the words “train wreck” a lot.
10. There is nobody around him, protecting him. I didn’t see a body man.
11. A photograph encompasses about 1/2 second of time.
12. 90% of people around him take their photo & bolt.
13. Very few express “support” as in “intention to vote.”
14. Up close, his glassy eyes look like Pot + something else.
15. Idle chatter: many people going in say they’re going to say something nasty to him.
16. Very few do.
17. What I wanted to say: “You bring shame to the city.”
18. What I really said, “Good luck, you’re gonna need it.”
19. I’m pretty sure he didn’t hear me — or many other people. It’s cacophonous around him, all the time.
20. Thing I heard three separate women say: “Where’s your wife?”
21. The look on his face reminds me of a trapped animal.
22. I’m not kidding about 13. On a recent cross-country drive, I came across a badger on the side of the highway, mortally wounded. I “finished him off” with an ice scraper from my car. I threw up afterwards.
23. As I took my selfie with Rob Ford I flashed on that memory. I managed to not throw up this time, but felt for five minutes like I was going to.
24. I came really, really close to deleting my RF selfie, and I’m pretty sure I posted it hoping to get “shame on you” comments. Can you tell I was raised Catholic?
25. I wish I’d been able to say “shame on you” to him, but something human stopped me, because…
26. I never expected the scene around him, with him, the entire vibe of him to be so COMPLETELY FUCKING SAD.
27. He is definitely the child who can’t differentiate the good kind of attention from the bad kind of attention.
28. The whole experience was nothing like I thought it would be.
29. I don’t feel sorry for Rob Ford, but I honestly think he doesn’t see a way out.
30. I have never seen someone who is so alone surrounded by so many people.
31. Witnessing the whole thing up close supercharges my contempt for his evil brother and awful mother. Either one could have ended this a long time ago.
32. I fear the end is coming soon, and we all know how it’s going to end.
33. I think he knows it too.
34. I flew back from L.A. to vote against him in 2010.
35. In 2014 I spent one second with him and enabled him. And I’m just not sure where to put that.