3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 619     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad fact is, the Sheppard subway as it stands is incomplete. It only runs about 4km and serves too few people. For the same reason the 407 crowd wants to increase that highway, the Sheppard subway (ideally) should be extended out to at least Kennedy in order to be truly viable. Better a $5 billion length track that gets traffic than a $1.5B one that sees little.

And the will of the majority of the voters. The arrogance of the entrenched members of the council never ceases to amaze. Pop quiz! How long can a city go with a $700M deficit and not have to declare bankruptcy? Anyone remember 1976, New York having to get bailed out by Gerald Ford?

Last edited:
I don't think the 'left' monopolize arrogance, there's plenty to go around.

Personally, I'd rather see subways. I'd rather see us suck up the commitment for transit infrastructure responsibly but Ford's ideas were out in left field, no matter what you think about subways, and he continues to hurt the process rather than help it. He could have compromised on Eglinton, which would have been a sign of effective leadership rather than a sign of weakness, and he could have agreed to some income generating measures to help fund other lines (above ground where appropriate and below ground where appropriate). His silly 'line in the sand' positions just don't help anybody.

He doesn't even need to do that - if he had his act together, he could have gotten council to approve his MOA in the early days when he had momentum. His failure to do so suggest incompetence - for not a) understanding the need for council approval and b) not seizing the day; and arrogance - that ruling by fiat is "as of right". Clearly not.

AoD

Sad fact is, the Sheppard subway as it stands is incomplete. It only runs about 4km and serves too few people. For the same reason the 407 crowd wants to increase that highway, the Sheppard subway (ideally) should be extended out to at least Kennedy in order to be truly viable. Better a $5 billion length track that gets traffic than a $1.5B one that sees little.

good money after bad that makes sense. cut your loses. its as bad as a gm who drafts someone really high and backs the player n matter what despite the obviously bad pick. does anyone remember arujio?

I don't think the 'left' monopolize arrogance, there's plenty to go around.

Personally, I'd rather see subways. I'd rather see us suck up the commitment for transit infrastructure responsibly but Ford's ideas were out in left field, no matter what you think about subways, and he continues to hurt the process rather than help it. He could have compromised on Eglinton, which would have been a sign of effective leadership rather than a sign of weakness, and he could have agreed to some income generating measures to help fund other lines (above ground where appropriate and below ground where appropriate). His silly 'line in the sand' positions just don't help anybody.

I would rather have subways too but everyone seems to have forgotten the cost of building one. Ford fumbled this one big time by failing to secure private financing as he initially promised. If he had done so, Council would have had a much more difficult choice to make.

When the Eglinton LRT line is complete out to Kennedy, having the Sheppard line also run out there is of marginal increased value. There is some value extending it to Vic Park, and after that extend it slowly as funds become available.

I'm the only Rob Ford supporter on this site, but I'm glad he lost the one. I think LRT is the way to go. Who knows, if in 50 years the pop of Toronto doubles we might wish we had built a subway, but for now I'm just glad we're building something.

BTW, when will we see the new streetcars on Toronto streets?

I'm not saying he didn't win the election. I'm saying he can't claim to represent the will of the majority.

And even that means very little -- Ford was not elected dictator, he was elected as one member of city council. It is city council that ultimately decides the major policy of the city, not the mayor. The fact that Ford does not seem to know this is further evidence of his unsuitability for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back