178     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 430     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, in Sept. 2010, had higher job approval numbers than Rob Ford's percentage of votes. But other than those facts that entirely contradict the statement, I agree that he was unre-electable.

Last edited:
I will never forgive Miller for his braindead opposition to the island bridge, and I actually lived in the area.

I actually think Rob Ford stopped being Mayor when he lost the deferral vote earlier today. He disappeared and hasn't returned since. Will he be here for the vote?

Just got back in from City Hall. They had to re-do the big vote three times as some councillors kept pressing the wrong vote button. Everyone was horribly annoyed by the third time.
There was a standing ovation all around for council when it was done, though, and for Karen Stinz especially.
It was a long day. It was interesting to listen to all the opinions, from the good (Stinz's inclusion of consideration of the DRL in her motion - passed) to the bad (a few councillors rooting bizarrely for buses on Finch) to the ugly (Frances Nunziata's voice, never exactly a sonorous, gossamer instrument, takes on a tone when she's displeased that reminds me of a garborator trying to digest a wrench).

Ford, so flustered and choked with fury he could hardly speak or think, granted a quick interview afterwards in which he kept murmuring 'taxpayers' and 'subways' monomaniacally over and over again. Then, to the audible gasps of the reporters (and prompting a quick end to the session from a handler), he declared council 'irrelevant'.

Clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eh2dBlarX4

Last edited:
The best part is, (and I would love to whisper in it in Ford's ear), that David Miller still wields more influence on important decisions in Toronto than Ford does.

No way he can weasel away from it with "he said, she said" this time around - it's all on YouTube. Serves him right. Now, what of making him impotent?

AoD

The best part is, (and I would love to whisper in it in Ford's ear), that David Miller still wields more influence on important decisions in Toronto than Ford does.

I got to do something nearly as satisfying. I was meeting with a councillor's assistant before the vote and as I took a joking photo on Ford's scale, he popped out of his office, looked at me and I gave him the thumbs down. tee hee...

Regarding Ford's 'irrelevant' delerium: happily, the province has speedily replied:

"Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Transportation, released the following statement regarding the City of Toronto's public transit plans:
"Earlier today, City Council met to debate the future of public transit in the City of Toronto. As a former Regional Chair and Mayor, I have always respected the will of council, as a whole, to come to a position regarding public transit priorities.

Over the past few weeks, Torontonians have been party to a healthy debate about the future of public transit. For many, public transit is a necessity - it's how employees get to and from work, how seniors get to and from their appointments and how students commute to school.

Throughout the debate, the McGuinty government has maintained a clear stance--we wanted the City to come to a common position so that we all could focus on building much-needed transit infrastructure.

Now that Council has endorsed a position, we have asked Metrolinx to consider the impacts on current transit planning and report back to us as quickly as possible."

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2012/...b-chiarelli-on-public-transit-in-toronto.html

I can scarcely imagine a scenario where the province would ignore a thorough, legal, official vote by council. Looks like the Fords just may have stepped off the platform.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone with more knowledge about Toronto's history can chime in, but have we had a Mayor in Toronto's recent history who was in the same position as Ford is now? I understand that previous Mayors have had the odd vote go against their position, but have we ever seen a council completely take the power away from a Mayor before? Obviously things could change, but it sounds to me like he's completely lost confidence in Council and just doesn't have the votes to proceed with his vision going forward.

I hope this is a clear corrective - and a wake up call to sanity - against the thick fog of misinformation, lies and opportunistic crap the city has become so inundated with since this last election.

I know people don't want to realize that a) the mayor is an unrepentant simpleton, and b) he may not have a clue what he is talking about. No one wants to have been duped that badly. But I think after all this, the city might be waking up to realize that where the Mayor is concerned, no-one's home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back