381     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 684     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gord Perks email to city manager re: $1B savings.
gord perks email.jpg

Attachments

• gord perks email.jpg
    gord perks email.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 559
If anyone really wants to get dirty with Robbie, the way to do it is through his family. Would the number of 911 calls to his house be considered public knowledge?

"You claim to be a great dad, yet your children Stephanie and Little Dougie live in a home in which there are constant calls to 911 and visits by the emergency services. Do you think that is the right environment for two young children? In many families, children in those circumstances would be removed from their homes for their own wellbeing."

If anyone really wants to get dirty with Robbie, the way to do it is through his family. Would the number of 911 calls to his house be considered public knowledge?

"You claim to be a great dad, yet your children Stephanie and Little Dougie live in a home in which there are constant calls to 911 and visits by the emergency services. Do you think that is the right environment for two young children? In many families, children in those circumstances would be removed from their homes for their own wellbeing."

Not to mention the drain on the public purse due to high volume of calls originating from your domicile.

It’s clear that, when it comes to drugs, drunkenness, gangs, and criminality, all the candidates had been given the same strategic advice by their managers: don’t go there. Each candidate was offered this advice independent of, and unbeknownst to, each other.

In other words, no one knew until the debate that the net effect of reading from the same campaign hymnbook was that Ford was going to get through the entire debate without being hauled on the carpet for his massive acts of malfeasance.

All the candidates believed that someone else was going to do it—and then no one did. And I am sure they were as surprised as anybody.

But now that they do know, there is an opening for someone to differentiate themselves from the others by being the one that goes after him.

The other thing is, however cathartic it might be to see someone get WAY up in Ford’s face about the his lies about crack etc, each candidate needs to make sure that they--and not one of their competitors—are going to reap the benefits of doing it.

It’s not really in Chow’s benefit to be the one to attack Ford hard over his lies and gang connections if all its going to do is drive right-wing moderates to Tory. The reverse is equally true. And there’s nothing in it for Stintz or Solnacki, because no one is going to win BECAUSE they were the hardest on Rob Ford.

Also, we have to deal with the fact that, prior to yesterday, neither Tory nor Chow saw Ford as their main rival. Their assumption has very much been that Toronto is going to have a new mayor on Oct 28. The debate proved that while the race is hardly ‘his to lose’ the image of Ford as a Dead Mayor Walking is very very wrong, and both campaigns will adjust accordingly.

I think you nailed it.
Another consideration that some people don't like to hear is that Chow, as left wing candidate and a woman has the most to lose by turning off centre-right votes. I though she out of all of them did attempt to hint at Ford's issues (based on what I read -not the actual debate as I didn't see it). Her position is precarious because she' polling well and doesn't want to turn anyone off. You'll see the lower polling candidates become increasingly more rabid as they get desperate. Now is too early to show all the cards.

I've said this before but if you have not run for public office, or worked closely with someone who did, it's hard to understand how difficult it is to do exactly the right thing. Once a candidate indicates they are running, the emails, letters and phone calls from concerned citizens and whacko's begin to flood in. Some of them act like "you" are their blessed saviour, and others are incredibly hostile. Everyone offers advice and opinions and wants to stop them to talk about politics. The media writes things that don't square with what people are telling you and sometimes what they report is just wrong. "Fringe" candidates are usually not fringe at all. They're often good people with less money than the ones you get to see.

I've been there and I can tell you that by the end, the candidates are exhausted, mentally and physically. I know everyone loves to pile the hate on for politicians (and some of them deserve it) but it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there in such a public way knowing that all that time, money and effort may be for nothing - or worse it could hurt you financially for years to come in lost job opportunities with people who are far too partisan. Today I am still called "that Liberal woman" where I live which ticks me off because I tend to vote for candidates, not political brands.

I say it's way too early to heap scorn on these candidates or to declare Ford a viable option. He's not and by election day, we'll be saying "Ford who?" as we congratulate the new Mayor.

Yaaay Meryl! Way to start the ball rolling? What's your UT handle? :)

Meryl Candidate ‏@fortyfs 8m
@TOMayorFord The Star has reported that 911 has been called to your home more than two dozen times. Why?

It's Ford math... dummy.

StrashinCBC 3:11pm via Twitter for BlackBerry
Cllr Perks..."the city Manger will have to account for how his number has changed by $400 million in a few months."

reporterdonpeat 3:20pm via Web
Cllr Gord Perks says he's emailed the city manager asking him to clarify the numbers on the billion dollars saved claim.

This has been so completely damaging - it's undermined all the previous attempts to debunk Ford's BS billion dollar talking point and I've watched it on twitter become a rallying cry for Ford Nation. It'll be thrown in our faces during any debate about Rob Ford the same way they used to use "Then where's that crack video?". Any attempt to tell them it's been debunked by TheStar will be met with something along the lines of "Who are we going to believe? The city manager or that biased tabloid with an anti-Ford agenda?"

...It’s not really in Chow’s benefit to be the one to attack Ford hard over his lies and gang connections if all its going to do is drive right-wing moderates to Tory. The reverse is equally true. And there’s nothing in it for Stintz or Solnacki, because no one is going to win BECAUSE they were the hardest on Rob Ford.

There has been news that would be expected to hit at Ford, but it ans not, so it would be a tough go for the competition to expect much. That said I think that Solnacki has the most to gain by doing this; though it does not seem to be his style. Stintz could emphasize how rudderless council has been with him, and that even conservatives on council have not been able to work with him.

Much better than discussing the minutia of imminent birds.

Meryl Candidate ‏@fortyfs 17m
.@TOMayorFord When was your last visit to 15 Windsor Road?

He'd probably claim that all the 911 calls were because the of the media, like Daniel Dale or Marg Delahunt.

Joe W.

https://twitter.com/TorSunCity/status/449147691419713536

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/26/mayoral-debate-gives-steak-queen-patrons-something-to-chew-on

"Mayor Rob Ford may not have been at Steak Queen Wednesday night but his presence sure was.

And many were celebrating what they are calling an all out win in the 2014 municipal election campaign’s first debate.

He was selling both the steak and the sizzle and in Etobicoke they were buying both.

“I will be voting for Mayor Ford, no question,” said Sherry Jurakhan, herself a restauranteur from the area.

Her view was the mayor also won the debate on CITY-TV against fellow candidates Olivia Chow, David Soknacki, Karen Stintz and John Tory hands down.

“I like the man,” said the owner of the D Jerk and Roti Shop. “He is a man of the people.”

In fact she came to the Steak Queen to watch the debate at the request of her eight-year-old granddaughter Alina.

“I want to meet him,” said eight-year-old.

“I am going to invite him to my restaurant and you will get to meet him,” promised Sherry."

A man of the people? Do all the people smoke crack and hang out with gangs and get drunk in their offices? If so, I must know the wrong people.

Great role model for that 8 year old, Grandma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back