377     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mayoral candidates. Pay attention. The info is there. USE IT!

The only problem is that Ford Nation doesn't care about other people's jobs, children or the ttc. They tend to be in the suburbs, drive cars, are irritated by being slowed down by ttc (backwards thinking because better ttc might take some cars off the roads). They tend to say things like people should not have kids if they can't afford them, and why should I pay for other peoples' mistakes? I hear them every time I go outside.

They're hoping they can mostly stay positive and let the police take care of the rest. I dare say, that may work out for them in the long run.

I don't doubt this is the strategy. Take some assurance, however, from the fact that they do not have remotely the same campaign infrastructure they did. They don't have Kouvalis, or Batra or Towhey and they don't (as far as we know) have their voter's list. He is coasting downhill on fumes so there's the illusion he is still speeding along but it's not real. I firmly believe that.

I'm not excusing the terrible performances we saw last night from everyone else - but it's theirs to lose and if he does, by some miracle, win again. It will say some very pathetic things about who lives in this city, including its purported leaders.

(OH - and if that "2 dozen" domestics things is true.....wow. Even if it all it's saying is that Renata goes crazy and calls them all the time, it's worth reporting at this point. I'd hate to think the alternative, that every one of those calls is a full-on incident, is the truth at this point.)

It's Ford math... dummy.

StrashinCBC 3:11pm via Twitter for BlackBerry
Cllr Perks..."the city Manger will have to account for how his number has changed by $400 million in a few months."

reporterdonpeat 3:20pm via Web
Cllr Gord Perks says he's emailed the city manager asking him to clarify the numbers on the billion dollars saved claim.

Last edited:
@ShellyCarroll is really getting vicious with Ford, directly calling him out for his lies, refuting them with short, sharp facts.

This is what we all need to do.

That is what the other candidates should have done last night. I am still amazed that they weren't better prepared since we all knew this is what Ford will be baying about. Hopefully they have learned a lesson and be able in face this head on in ALL future debates!

Hardly conjures an "Ozzie and Harriet" image of domestic bliss?

The signs of a marriage in trouble are already there. Ford's wife being recording discussing how she feels about his addictions. Ford not being home on weekends, but out at night clubs, at city all, or with nefarious "friends" getting drunk and high. He brings his brothers to L.A. instead of his wife and kids. And of course the domestic abuse calls. His utter lack of tact in talking about what he gets to eat at home. No respect. Her face says it all.

The only way RoFo will be out of the race is if he dies. Even if he is charged, he would still run. Even if he is jail, he would still run.
The pressure needs to pick up on him and stay up.

I wonder if there is any mandatory functions that would disqualify him. Another thought is if the motion in counsel next week, petitioning Prov. to legislate recall by-law including municipalities, would solve all problems with Robbie. The counsel can extend the suspension of mayoral powers until a recall can be used.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rofo has been far, far luckier than he's deserved with the people "opposing" him, as last night's pathetic excuse for a debate so amptly proves. He should have been relentlessly horse-whipped, but not one of the other candidates had the stomach to take it down to that level. And they're going to have to if he's to be stopped. You can't come out on top over his kind of open and unashamed thug with sweet reason, spouting bureaucrat-ese, or sticking your nose in the air and acting as if you're above such common, low-born vulgarities as, oh, fighting back. (Gasp! What would Miss Manners say?) Schoolyard bully types like the Ford brothers only understand pushback. Seriously, can this really be such a newsflash to the others who were up on that stage last night at this point in the proceedings?

If this is indicative of the events to come - i.e. Slob steam-rolling right along with his usual bluster and lies while the people supposedly standing against him weakly stutter, "M-m-m-maybe I disagree...if it isn't too much of an inconvenience," then he'll likely slime his way right back into City Hall with nary a problem. They have to take the kid gloves off. Yes, it's early yet, and yes, this was the first debate, but Jesus! Every one of us here knew perfectly well what Ford was going to do last night. Why the hell didn't Tory and the others? Did his utterly predicatble bullshit really come as such a surprise?

It’s clear that, when it comes to drugs, drunkenness, gangs, and criminality, all the candidates had been given the same strategic advice by their managers: don’t go there. Each candidate was offered this advice independent of, and unbeknownst to, each other.

In other words, no one knew until the debate that the net effect of reading from the same campaign hymnbook was that Ford was going to get through the entire debate without being hauled on the carpet for his massive acts of malfeasance.

All the candidates believed that someone else was going to do it—and then no one did. And I am sure they were as surprised as anybody.

But now that they do know, there is an opening for someone to differentiate themselves from the others by being the one that goes after him.

The other thing is, however cathartic it might be to see someone get WAY up in Ford’s face about the his lies about crack etc, each candidate needs to make sure that they--and not one of their competitors—are going to reap the benefits of doing it.

It’s not really in Chow’s benefit to be the one to attack Ford hard over his lies and gang connections if all its going to do is drive right-wing moderates to Tory. The reverse is equally true. And there’s nothing in it for Stintz or Solnacki, because no one is going to win BECAUSE they were the hardest on Rob Ford.

Also, we have to deal with the fact that, prior to yesterday, neither Tory nor Chow saw Ford as their main rival. Their assumption has very much been that Toronto is going to have a new mayor on Oct 28. The debate proved that while the race is hardly ‘his to lose’ the image of Ford as a Dead Mayor Walking is very very wrong, and both campaigns will adjust accordingly.

That is what the other candidates should have done last night. I am still amazed that they weren't better prepared since we all knew this is what Ford will be baying about. Hopefully they have learned a lesson and be able in face this head on in ALL future debates!

Agreed.

They missed obvious opportunities to calmly call him out on his nonsense without looking like a bunch of fools.

Many of us are talking about the questions we wish were asked at the debate. Let's start asking those hard questions and get them out in the world.

Tomorrow on twitter:
@TOmayorRobFord This is the one year anniversary of Anthony Smith’s murder. What was your involvement?
@TOmayorRobFord This photo shows you in front of 15 Windsor Drive, a crack house known to @TorontoPolice. Is that where you smoke crack?
@TOmayorRobFord Being drunk a park w/ drug dealing extortionist Sandro Lisi or smoking crack w/ gang members is not respecting the taxpayer.

It’s clear that, when it comes to drugs, drunkenness, gangs, and criminality, all the candidates had been given the same strategic advice by their managers: don’t go there.

They likely don't want to be accused of hitting below the belt. "That's personal!"

Reminds me of what Gene Autry said, "I could never have played scenes like where The Sundance Kid ( sic ) kicks the guy in the nuts." (in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ).

Many of us are talking about the questions we wish were asked at the debate. Let's start asking those hard questions and get them out in the world.

Tomorrow on twitter:
@TOmayorRobFord This is the one year anniversary of Anthony Smith’s murder. What was your involvement?
@TOmayorRobFord This photo shows you in front of 15 Windsor Drive, a crack house known to @TorontoPolice. Is that where you smoke crack?
@TOmayorRobFord Being drunk a park w/ drug dealing extortionist Sandro Lisi or smoking crack w/ gang members is not respecting the taxpayer.

Subways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back