32     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 804     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 941     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree that they are all weak, I think they're too nice to take out the garbage as required. Polite society has an unwritten rule that personal attacks in the political arena are off limits, but as Ford is an unusual specimen, the rules no longer apply, and he needs to be dealt with accordingly.

Yes, and it can be done without climbing into the muck. He brushed it off yesterday the crack is a PERSONAL thing. Not if he's being blackmailed by gangs. Not if he is being driven to official events by his drug dealer. Not if he is getting drunk/doing drugs/assaulting people at city hall. That balloon needs to be popped IMMEDIATELY. Criticizing his weight would be an unfair personal attack but this is not that and, even more ironically, he seems to think his weight LOSS is fair game.

In short, they are letting Ford say what is personal or that Steak Queen is a private place and, like everything else, it's all lies. You don't have to ask him what Lisi was passing him in envelopes. You just need to say, "Why should voters accept that these issues are all personal, as you say, when you still haven't told them the full truth of what happened and when you were attending official events with Mr. Lisi and having St. Patrick's Day parties in your office at City Hall?" etc. etc

It's fish in a barrel and none of them wants to pick up the gun.

That depends. How poor is too poor to have kids? Is there a formula?

You basically said it yourself - "if you can't afford to". If you or your family are struggling to survive just on your own, why the hell would you have a kid? I mean, gosh, if you can barely make the rent you shouldn't go out and buy a 60 inch plasma TV on credit. People do, though, and they have kids when they have no hope of providing for them in the immediate future, and I completely reserve the right to judge people for doing that.

I don't think that's a "Ford Nation" ideology at all. I think if you were to stereotype Ford supporters, they would say that 'children are a blessing and a miracle and finances don't matter'.

And I would roll my eyes.

Part of the narrative that helped him win in 2010 was that "his competition wasn't that strong." I don't see how that claim can be made today. In 2014 all of the candidates facing Ford are superior to him. None have a scandal attached to them remotely approximate to Ford's tenure in office. All have intelligence, work ethic, and higher character. The measure of a candidate isn't how well they debate, or sling insults, or prepare canned one-liners (though those are important skills to have) The more we buy into superficial measures of candidate quality, such as the ability to lie with no shame and pass it off as debating skill, the more we help Ford in his efforts to ruin Toronto.

The majority of voters won't watch any of the debates. They get their information in small bites through media, comedy and other iffy sources. Sad but true.

A small, compared to the larger sh*tshow, but important point of fact...

goldsbie 5:51pm via Twitter for Android
Aside from his nephew, we're still not aware of anyone involved with the Ford campaign who is not also employed by the City.

Yes, it was live as of last night.

Comments are starting to pop up on Twitter - a good number of them from people who did not recognize that it was a parody account. (My favourite - the letter on "official City letterhead", which, instead of saying "Doug Ford Councillor", said "Doug Ford Mayor's Brother".)

The comments included in the screen capture that casita just posted illustrate that some people did not recognize that it was a parody account. (Some, of course, may have been outraged at the contents of the posts anyway, but it is apparent that more than a few people were outraged based on misapprehending that the posts were from the real [if one can be allowed that term] Doug Ford Jr.)

The comments included in the screen capture that casita just posted illustrate that some people did not recognize that it was a parody account. (Some, of course, may have been outraged at the contents of the posts anyway, but it is apparent that more than a few people were outraged based on misapprehending that the posts were from the real [if one can be allowed that term] Doug Ford Jr.)

I think I read something yesterday that the parody account was saying racist things about Olivia. I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained and it was suspended for that reason.

No wonder, if that is a typical example of the "quality" of his tweets. Piss poor. No satire here, folks. Keep moving.

As I understand it, Twitter will suspend a parody account if there is evidence that some material number of people are dimwitted enough not to recognize that it is a parody from any clues less subtle than a sledgehammer - hence "@TOMayorFrod" was re-titled "@MayorCrimeLord".

Repeated (sorry).

Wow, CTVNews live stream of the debate is broadcasting a picture of a web browser showing the same "This event has reached its maximum viewer limit capacity." page as the Ryerson website.

Nice job, guys. Couldn't get a camera in there or anything?

No wonder, if that is a typical example of the "quality" of his tweets. Piss poor. No satire here, folks. Keep moving.

Whoever he or she is, the ratio of successful to failed humour indeed was drastically lower overall than that obtained by MayorFrod and 80s Doug. (But, for all I know whoever it is may have been motivated more by a hatred of Doug than an ambition to make it in stand-up.) (Or maybe just by a desire to shock by offending.)

Last edited:
in case anyone is interested...

Communications Coordinator
Toronto Mayoralty - Toronto, ON

Did you watch last night’s Toronto Mayoralty debate? Interested the future of the City?

A forming citizens group seeks a dedicated individual to serve as Communications Coordinator: a contract position leading up to the next Toronto election.

The campaign will involve key issues, debates and civic engagement. This position presents an opportunity to be involved in that debate from the very beginning.

The individual will be highly organized, efficient and motivated with passion and excellent interpersonal skills. They will be a self-starter and should be experienced at coordinating an increasingly sophisticated schedule and greater responsibilities.

The ideal candidate should be familiar with Toronto political life and have experience working in a fast paced and fluid atmosphere. Initial contract length will be for three months staring May 1st with renewal by mutual agreement.

http://www.indeed.ca/cmp/Toronto-Mayoralty/jobs/Communication-Coordinator-21a4dfdac91e8e98

Someone needs to ask him if he's flip-flopped, and is now in favour of the 'hug-a-thug' approach.

Hey, didn't you know that Ford is tough on crime, including all drug offences? He has been asked that before and Ford replied that he still believes that we must go hard against drug crimes, unless the person is a member of the Ford family. In that case, it's water under the bridge, so move along.

I think I read something yesterday that the parody account was saying racist things about Olivia. I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained and it was suspended for that reason.

Yep, might be. It does not seem to be possible to find out from whoever 'moderates' Twitter why any particular account has been suspended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back