29     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 803     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 937     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguing about whether or not Ford has saved $1B or $600M is just playing into his strategy. We should be arguing that mindlessly cutting budgets is not what make a mayor.

We want leadership, we need accountability. We need to build a better city, not cut little pieces off it until it falls apart.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did anyone notice how, when Ford was questioned directly about his "math" - by Socknacki, i believe - his response was "well, these are the numbers given to me by the CFO, so unless he's lying to me...".

That just takes deflection to a whole new level. And i don't mean upward.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but did anyone notice how, when Ford was questioned directly about his "math" - by Socknacki, i believe - his response was "well, these are the numbers given to me by the CFO, so unless he's lying to me...".

That just takes deflection to a whole new level. And i don't mean upward.

Oh he went hard on that, saying stuff like "So you're calling the City Manager a liar?" multiple times. Curious, in light of this new memo.

Arguing about whether or not Ford has saved $1B or $600M is just playing into his strategy. We should be arguing that mindlessly cutting budgets is not what make a mayor.

We want leadership, we need accountability. We need to build a better city, not cut little pieces off it until it falls apart.

Agreed. But about 30-40% of people disagree. Paying less tax is the ONLY thing they care about. Period. And Ford has convinced them he's the one to deliver on that.

I've seen this idea expressed in a few different ways on twitter today, but another key message could be

"If you saved $1B, then why are taxes going up?"

Pretty much. Given how expensive things are in this city, can you blame em?

Ford really has no business doing so well. It just speaks to how weak his opponents are.

I don't agree that they are all weak, I think they're too nice to take out the garbage as required. Polite society has an unwritten rule that personal attacks in the political arena are off limits, but as Ford is an unusual specimen, the rules no longer apply, and he needs to be dealt with accordingly.

Pretty much. Given how expensive things are in this city, can you blame em?

Ford really has no business doing so well. It just speaks to how weak his opponents are.

Part of the narrative that helped him win in 2010 was that "his competition wasn't that strong." I don't see how that claim can be made today. In 2014 all of the candidates facing Ford are superior to him. None have a scandal attached to them remotely approximate to Ford's tenure in office. All have intelligence, work ethic, and higher character. The measure of a candidate isn't how well they debate, or sling insults, or prepare canned one-liners (though those are important skills to have) The more we buy into superficial measures of candidate quality, such as the ability to lie with no shame and pass it off as debating skill, the more we help Ford in his efforts to ruin Toronto.

Wait. I agree with this 1000%. Am I "Ford Nation"?

That depends. How poor is too poor to have kids? Is there a formula?

In an ideal world there would be no accidents, no job loss, no tragedy that causes people to falter on their parental responsibilities. Rape would never happen. Marriages wouldn't end in divorce. Rents would be affordable and increases to the cost of living would not shock middle to low-income earners. Both parents would support their offspring. Religious and pro-life groups wouldn't distribute misleading information to confuse young women in difficult situations. Birth control would work every time and women who could not afford a child would not be stigmatized for making her own reproductive choices - especially when that choice unburdens the taxpayers who would prefer she postpone pregnancy till she can afford it.

It's too easy to wag a finger at poor people and say they shouldn't have had kids. It doesn't require any thinking because the people who use food banks, or benefit from the programs that Ford and his ilk so love to cut don't always fit into that nasty narrative. People with full time jobs should not need food banks and social programs to cover the basics.

I'm certain from your past posts that you don't fit into Ford nation but that type of thinking "poor people shouldn't have kids" is so popular today that most people really don't give it a second thought. In my opinion, anyone who works full time should be able to raise a family if they wish to. Unfortunately, the reality today is it requires two full time incomes and no mishaps which could cause financial shock. I don't know how anyone does it today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back